Maintaining lane while turning

Started by Morris Minor, May 22, 2015, 09:31:30 AM

Morris Minor

You have a red light. You want to make make a right turn into a two-lane road. You enter the rightmost of the two lanes,
In the opposite direction people have a green left-turn arrow. Instead of the left lane,  they make their turn into the right lane & collide with you.

Who is at fault? You, because you failed to yield on a right turn on red? Or them, because they failed to maintain lane while turning?
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

12,000 RPM

Im at fault, they have the light, they ahve the right of way.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

RomanChariot

We have a turn here where the left turn arrow dumps into a road with 3 lanes going the same direction and a half-block later there is a light and an entrance to a shopping mall on the right. Probably 80% of the cars turning left go straight to the far right lane so they can get into the mall. You don't even try to make a right on the red until after left turning traffic clears. And yes, you would get the ticket for making the right on the red because they have the right of way even if they are not following the proper procedure by turning into the closest lane.

Eye of the Tiger

What if you're at a green waiting to turn left onto a two-lane. You turn left and keep to the left lane. But right turning traffic is expecting to go straight into the left lane.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

RomanChariot

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 22, 2015, 11:25:31 AM
What if you're at a green waiting to turn left onto a two-lane. You turn left and keep to the left lane. But right turning traffic is expecting to go straight into the left lane.

That could be tricky. If you do not have a dedicated green arrow and the other driver has a green then I would think he might be considered to be oncoming traffic and you would have to yield before making your turn.

Byteme

Quote from: Morris Minor on May 22, 2015, 09:31:30 AM
You have a red light. You want to make make a right turn into a two-lane road. You enter the rightmost of the two lanes,
In the opposite direction people have a green left-turn arrow. Instead of the left lane,  they make their turn into the right lane & collide with you.

Who is at fault? You, because you failed to yield on a right turn on red? Or them, because they failed to maintain lane while turning?

Are any of the parties involved minorities?   :evildude:

Some people would argue they would automatically get the ticket regardless of who is at fault.

My understanding is the driver making the right turn on red has the responsibility to ensure the way is clear.  he has to yield to any other traffic and any pedestrians.  At the least he is guilty of blatant stupidity for assuming people will exhibit any kind of lane discipline while turning  a corner. 

giant_mtb

I almost always maintain my lane when turning.  If I don't, I have checked to make sure nobody is turning right.

Cookie Monster

If it's a single protected left turn lane going into a multi-lane road, I don't "maintain" my lane. I just pick one of the three. If someone turns out on a red while I'm turning, it's their fault if we crash.

If it's a left turn on yield situation I'll usually pick the left most lane to turn into to avoid situations like what Nick is saying, although I try not to make the turn while anyone is coming from the opposing side, even if they are only turning right.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

sparkplug

this is why i can't stand cities. traffic.
Getting stoned, one stone at a time.

SVT_Power

Quote from: thecarnut on May 22, 2015, 01:05:50 PM
If it's a single protected left turn lane going into a multi-lane road, I don't "maintain" my lane. I just pick one of the three. If someone turns out on a red while I'm turning, it's their fault if we crash.

:facepalm:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Cookie Monster

Quote from: SVT_Power on May 28, 2015, 12:40:35 AM
:facepalm:

What? If it's a protected green for me and red for the guy making the right turn, it's always his fault for turning out at an unsafe time.
RWD > FWD
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Secret Chimp

If you get hit in this situation you're really not paying attention. I have to brake to avoid inside-to-outside drifters all the time because they aren't looking for you.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

12,000 RPM

People down here seem to respect turn light etiquette.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

JWC

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 29, 2015, 07:22:56 AM
People down here seem to respect turn light etiquette.

And they don't know how to merge onto/off a interstate. Once I almost ran over a state trooper who couldn't merger onto the highway properly.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Morris Minor on May 22, 2015, 09:31:30 AM

Your both at fault, for assuming the other person knew how to drive

MrH

Quote from: thecarnut on May 28, 2015, 07:54:43 AM
What? If it's a protected green for me and red for the guy making the right turn, it's always his fault for turning out at an unsafe time.

You're supposed to maintain your lane during the turn.  They would probably cite the other guy, but that doesn't make what you're doing right.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Cookie Monster

Quote from: MrH on June 01, 2015, 10:52:33 AM
You're supposed to maintain your lane during the turn.  They would probably cite the other guy, but that doesn't make what you're doing right.

What do you do if you need to enter a road/parking lot immediately after the intersection? Turn into the closest lane and then immediately veer across all the lanes to get to your turn?
RWD > FWD
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

MrH

Quote from: thecarnut on June 01, 2015, 07:12:24 PM
What do you do if you need to enter a road/parking lot immediately after the intersection? Turn into the closest lane and then immediately veer across all the lanes to get to your turn?

Turn left, put on turn signal, change lanes, and turn right? :huh:

You're basically veering across all the lanes and doing exactly what you're saying above, but in just one fell swoop by not maintaining your lane while turning :lol:

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: JWC on May 30, 2015, 05:58:43 PM
And they don't know how to merge onto/off a interstate. Once I almost ran over a state trooper who couldn't merger onto the highway properly.

HOLY CRAP YES.    They need to put a sign on the on-ramp which says "SPEED LIMIT XX ACCELERATE NOW".

Quite often I see people barely getting up to 45mph in a 65mph zone, running out of merge lane. I can get up to 10mph over the limit in my OLD econobox, there's no excuse people can't be merging better.

And my other peeve is letting off the gas like a mile before the exit. :facepalm:
Will

SVT_Power

Quote from: thecarnut on June 01, 2015, 07:12:24 PM

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2011/06/traffic_talk_when_turning_do_d.html

This is Michigan law, but I assume similar laws apply in most/all states.

"It is fairly simple for right turns: 'Both the approach for a right turn and a right turn shall be made as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway,' Church said. "So, for right turns, you must stay as close to the right edge as possible."

The statute that covers this says: "Approach for a left turn from a 2-way roadway into a 1-way roadway shall be made in that portion of the right half of the roadway nearest the center line and clear of existing car tracks in use, and by passing to the right of the center line where it enters the intersection. Approach for a left turn from a 1-way roadway into a 2-way roadway shall be made as close as practicable to the left curb or edge of the roadway and by passing to the right of the center line of the roadway being entered. Where both streets or roadways are 1-way, both the approach for a left turn and a left turn shall be made as close as practicable to the left-hand curb or edge of the roadway."

"I have heard arguments both ways on left turns," Church said. "That is, some people argue that you must stay to the left, others argue that it is not required."

"I would say that the safest way to turn is to stay in your lane," he said. "If I were handling the crash in this scenario then I would find the person who turned into the "wrong" lane to be at fault."
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

SVT_Power

Quote from: MrH on June 02, 2015, 08:56:56 AM
Turn left, put on turn signal, change lanes, and turn right? :huh:

This seems like a pretty logical sequence, not sure what the confusion is. Sure you might turn wide into another lane to make it more convenient, doesn't make it right.

Morris Minor

Quote from: JWC on May 30, 2015, 05:58:43 PM

IMO the best strategy for the on-ramp is to be going just a tad faster than the traffic you're merging with. It's easier to brake into a gap than it is accelerate.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Soup DeVille

Quote from: thecarnut on May 28, 2015, 07:54:43 AM

You're always supposed to turn into the left lane., unless otherwise marked. Will he get the ticket? Probably. Cold comfort that is.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator