Quote from: Rupert on October 05, 2015, 12:41:52 AM
You lowered an Outback.

Therefore Chris should listen to me.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Eye of the Tiger

I say it should be slammed on double stacked airbags so he can lify it on demand and still take dirtbike to cool places. Budget for new front tires every other month.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

giant_mtb

Quote from: 68_427 on October 05, 2015, 12:16:55 AM
I'd keep it lifted.

Meh. I don't do enough eXTREEM off roading to justify having it. All it does is make it tougher to load things into the bed. Stock height would be plenty for my purposes. Plus it's not very complete with the stock wheels and tires.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 05, 2015, 08:27:16 AM
Meh. I don't do enough eXTREEM off roading to justify having it. All it does is make it tougher to load things into the bed. Stock height would be plenty for my purposes. Plus it's not very complete with the stock wheels and tires.

Stock is good. Go stock sprangs.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 05, 2015, 08:34:13 AM
Stock is good. Go stock sprangs.

I'd like to get some squishier shocks when I unlift, but $.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 05, 2015, 08:44:16 AM
I'd like to get some squishier shocks when I unlift, but $.

Squishy shocks suck. Squishy shocks suck. Squishy shocks suck. 

Cookie Monster

I kinda liked the all red more, but yo truck man.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 05, 2015, 08:55:05 AM
Squishy shocks suck. Squishy shocks suck. Squishy shocks suck. 

I wanna float over washboards and frost heaves like a trophy truck, mang.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 05, 2015, 10:10:59 AM
I wanna float over washboards and frost heaves like a trophy truck, mang.

Well, those shocks are a bit different than grandma's sensatracs.

giant_mtb

Quote from: thecarnut on October 05, 2015, 10:10:27 AM
I kinda liked the all red more, but yo truck man.

No turning back now. :mask:

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 05, 2015, 10:20:07 AM
Well, those shocks are a bit different than grandma's sensatracs.

I was thinking along the lines of these.  And probably not the adjustable height ones. But maybe. Adjustable dampers and stuff would be cool, but I'm not about to drop money for some Fox shocks with a remote reservoir and valve knobs.

http://www.bilsteinus.com/products/truck-off-road/5100-series-ride-height-adjustable/

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: Rupert on October 05, 2015, 12:41:52 AM
You lowered an Outback.

Different situation.

Though I've always wondered how a lowered Subaru does in the snow and shit because his is pretty....low.

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 05, 2015, 08:27:16 AM

Good move. The stock height would be good for most anything you'd need to do and indeed, probably would make lifting things into the back a little easier.

BENZ BOY15

I can understand some lifting for off roading and shit but a lot of the examples I see around here don't seem to have much purpose besides looking cool and being able to look down on people.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on October 05, 2015, 12:29:56 PM
I can understand some lifting for off roading and shit but a lot of the examples I see around here don't seem to have much purpose besides looking cool and being able to look down on people.

Problem is, they don't even look cool. They look foolish.

giant_mtb

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on October 05, 2015, 12:29:56 PM

Most lifted trucks don't need to be lifted. They just are. lol

With mine, it gets me right around eye level of stock full sized trucks like Silverados and F150s.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 05, 2015, 11:53:45 AM
No turning back now. :mask:

You did a clean job, and the truck was a bit too red before, but I just have seen too many flares just look all faded and ugly after a while.

I'm sure you'll do a much better job of keeping your truck clean though.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 05, 2015, 12:40:22 PM
Most lifted trucks don't need to be lifted. They just are. lol

With mine, it gets me right around eye level of stock full sized trucks like Silverados and F150s.

That's exactly correct and yet people raise them anyway. The bed of the pickup becomes pretty much unusable and having a big unwieldy truck to go around all the skinny, twisty roads around here seems like it'd be a PITA, if not impossible.

To each his own, I guess.

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 05, 2015, 12:33:29 PM
Problem is, they don't even look cool. They look foolish.

Well, they certainly don't think so.

giant_mtb

Quote from: thecarnut on October 05, 2015, 12:48:09 PM
You did a clean job, and the truck was a bit too red before, but I just have seen too many flares just look all faded and ugly after a while.

I'm sure you'll do a much better job of keeping your truck clean though.

Yeah, I've seen plenty of faded and/or peeling bed liner in my detailing life on fenders, bumpers, and rockers.  Thankfully, mine shouldn't peel or rust since the flares are plastic. And somehow, my vehicles always end up looking much cleaner for much longer than other peoples'.  Something about a business and skillset I own or something seems to help. :lol:

I'm curious to see how it'll look back at stock height. I'd probably be okay with the all-red at stock height. It was a lot of red, but.  Yeah. That's that!

giant_mtb

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on October 05, 2015, 01:11:57 PM
That's exactly correct and yet people raise them anyway. The bed of the pickup becomes pretty much unusable and having a big unwieldy truck to go around all the skinny, twisty roads around here seems like it'd be a PITA, if not impossible.

To each his own, I guess.

Unusable is a pretty strong term. Mine is nowhere near unusable. A few inches isn't unmanageable (that's what she said) at all.   

When you lift your truck enough that you can't tow anything without a 19" drop ball mount and need a 6' ladder to climb into the bed...that's unusable.

BENZ BOY15

Well, I guess I was referring to the more extreme cases I've seen around here. For the middle range, I think I'd use the phrase increasingly impractical. It'd be one thing if the individual had an air suspension and it could lower down but most seem to stay high and if you're loading heavy stuff, it just seems like it'd be difficult. Some of them I see actually are practical as off roading is pretty popular and it makes sense as they got the extra stuff that goes along with it. And they'll actually be really muddy so it's clear they've actually done it :lol:

But some I just can't help but think they had something else in mind, like impressing others and showing everybody what a big bad mountain man they are.

giant_mtb

Yeah man, if it's got mud on it...free pass.  :lol:

BENZ BOY15

Interesting to note that the off roading trucks aren't lifted all that much in comparison. The front tends to higher than the back, though not always. The mountain-bro trucks are lifted much higher, yet suspiciously clean.

giant_mtb

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on October 06, 2015, 01:57:08 PM
Interesting to note that the off roading trucks aren't lifted all that much in comparison. The front tends to higher than the back, though not always. The mountain-bro trucks are lifted much higher, yet suspiciously clean.

Articulation becomes just as important as ground clearance in heavy offroading. 

Rupert

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on October 06, 2015, 10:07:49 AM
Well, I guess I was referring to the more extreme cases I've seen around here. For the middle range, I think I'd use the phrase increasingly impractical. It'd be one thing if the individual had an air suspension and it could lower down but most seem to stay high and if you're loading heavy stuff, it just seems like it'd be difficult. Some of them I see actually are practical as off roading is pretty popular and it makes sense as they got the extra stuff that goes along with it. And they'll actually be really muddy so it's clear they've actually done it :lol:

But some I just can't help but think they had something else in mind, like impressing others and showing everybody what a big bad mountain man they are.

"That's a mighty shiny truck you got there!"
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: Rupert on October 10, 2015, 10:59:27 PM
"That's a mighty shiny truck you got there!"

I stopped off for gas in San Bernardino today and I got a picture of a ridiculously lifted truck....I'll be posting that shortly. I don't know what sort of off roading they have in the San Bernardino area but this one almost looked like something you'd be more likely to find at a mini monster truck rally.

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 06, 2015, 04:22:38 PM
Articulation becomes just as important as ground clearance in heavy offroading. 

Soup DeVille

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on October 12, 2015, 09:27:00 PM

Yeah, that's just a shop truck; the kind of thing a place that sells lift kits will put together to sell parts.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

BENZ BOY15

Yeah it sure doesn't look like it goes around too much.