Toyota Tacoma

Started by giant_mtb, May 22, 2015, 07:37:58 PM

BENZ BOY15

:lol:

Just adopt him already.

giant_mtb

Waiting for tomorrow so I can get Truck back from getting its new steering pressure device at the mechanic store.  Probably gonna throw some weight in the bed for the winter.  It rides smoother with some weight and 'cause traction.

Rupert

You thinkin like a fat guy in the bed?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

giant_mtb

I guess if I happen to run one over, sure.  Otherwise, I dunno, there are some unused cement blocks in my storage shed.  Might use those if I can arrange them to be sure they're not gonna move, or else sandbags.  Big bag of dog food.  Bags of cement mix.  Old car batteries.  Sealed buckets of water.  Trees.  450 jar candles.  A couch.  Lots of options.

Rupert

Fat guy is like trunk monkey in addition to traction, though. That's the main advantage.

(Sand is the best bet-- cement blocks will never stay in place without a lot of effort).
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

280Z Turbo

Menards has 70lb sand tubes on sale for 2.50 each. If you don't even have a Menards in youpee, move.

giant_mtb

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on November 29, 2015, 02:57:02 PM
Menards has 70lb sand tubes on sale for 2.50 each. If you don't even have a Menards in youpee, move.

Save big money at Menarrrrrds.

Haven't been there in a couple weeks, though.  I'm there at least once a week all summer buying cleaning stuff. :lol:

CaminoRacer

Trash bag with dirt is $0.07
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

280Z Turbo

Quote from: CaminoRacer on November 29, 2015, 09:55:11 PM
Trash bag with dirt is $0.07

I don't want a dirtbag in my car.

AutobahnSHO

Will

AutobahnSHO

sandbags won't slide as much, junk is gonna move unless you take corners South Carolina style (5mph)...
Will

giant_mtb

Huh.  Mechanic said there wasn't anything wrong with the p/s, but they did find that the reservoir was leaking, so they fixed that (fluid was at a normal level when I brought it there).

wtfffffffffffffff

MrH

I had something very similar with the Tacoma I had.  I was getting some weird steering issues (I forget exactly what.  It was years ago).  I remember the cap to the power steering wasn't tightened down.  Simultaneously I was having some issues with a front half shaft.  I replaced that, and then engaged the transfer case a few times because it was getting stuck, and everything was gravy again.  Didn't have any issues with it for the next few months I owned it, then sold it.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

giant_mtb

Belt definitely squeals though. What's that mean. Should I put some ranch or other form of dressing on it?

Soup DeVille

Assuming the belt is good and the tensioner is good, it means the pump is dragging for some reason. Does it squeal all the time, just at start up, or just when you're at full lock?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 30, 2015, 02:30:22 PM
Assuming the belt is good and the tensioner is good, it means the pump is dragging for some reason. Does it squeal all the time, just at start up, or just when you're at full lock?

Just at startup, noticed it especially once it started getting cold. I'll back out of my driveway and around the time I start to pull away I feel the power steering get its full power...it's cold and tough at first startup then I can hear/feel a release in pressure and I get full power steering.

I didn't have a chance to explain all this to the mechanic (he wasn't there) when I dropped it off. She just wrote "p/s pump?" on the slip.

I shoulda just said "it's making noise and Idk why" instead of "it's making noise, I think it might be the power steering pump."

giant_mtb

I mean, the belt/idler could also be going, but there's still something off about the power pump. Haven't driven it yet, but considering all they did was put a new bracket or something on the power steering fluid reservoir to stop a tiny leak, I'm gonna guess nothing has changed. Damn.

Rupert

I hate taking cars back to mechanics for the same problem.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Rupert on November 30, 2015, 07:18:59 PM
I hate taking cars back to mechanics for the same problem.

Same. When I picked up my keys today and mentioned the belt squeal as well he said they hadn't noticed it. I was like fuuuuuuck. Nothing has changed.

BimmerM3

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 30, 2015, 07:49:22 PM
Same. When I picked up my keys today and mentioned the belt squeal as well he said they hadn't noticed it. I was like fuuuuuuck. Nothing has changed.

The mechanic's version of "it works on my machine. :huh:"

:lol:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 30, 2015, 02:53:16 PM
Just at startup, noticed it especially once it started getting cold. I'll back out of my driveway and around the time I start to pull away I feel the power steering get its full power...it's cold and tough at first startup then I can hear/feel a release in pressure and I get full power steering.

I didn't have a chance to explain all this to the mechanic (he wasn't there) when I dropped it off. She just wrote "p/s pump?" on the slip.

I shoulda just said "it's making noise and Idk why" instead of "it's making noise, I think it might be the power steering pump."

This is largely normal behavior in cold weather.

If it was a vehicle I'm more familiar with, I'd say check the little screen filter in the reservoir; there's probably some residue from the lines in there that is restricting flow.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Hm. I've never experienced it in a vehicle before.

Tacoma now has 140lbs of sand in bed. I got three 70lb bags but two feels like enough...we'll see next time we actually get some snow. It's nice to have some weight on the rear anyways. Bit less chatter.

CALL_911

Is your truck 4WD or 2WD?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 03, 2015, 12:15:27 AM
Hm. I've never experienced it in a vehicle before.

Tacoma now has 140lbs of sand in bed. I got three 70lb bags but two feels like enough...we'll see next time we actually get some snow. It's nice to have some weight on the rear anyways. Bit less chatter.

Fairly common for a 10 year old vehicle that is. I did check, and the Tacoma has a reservoir filter, but it's not especially easy to change.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 03, 2015, 12:34:21 AM
4WD

I would never use sandbags on a 4wd. What a waste of sand! Do you have an open diff in back, or some kind of psychotropic drug?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on December 03, 2015, 07:26:45 AM
I would never use sandbags on a 4wd. What a waste of sand! Do you have an open diff in back, or some kind of psychotropic drug?

It's a mechanical LSD.

But really it's just so I don't have to switch between the two as often. 

SVT666

I've experienced that before but only when it's really cold.

giant_mtb

Quote from: SVT666 on December 04, 2015, 07:36:13 PM
I've experienced that before but only when it's really cold.

I'm experiencing it just about anywhere under 35-40 on an overnight start.

Raza

Quote from: giant_mtb on July 21, 2015, 03:21:41 AM
Truck doing truck things.

I think that's the most redneck thing I've seen on this site.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.