Toyota Tacoma

Started by giant_mtb, May 22, 2015, 07:37:58 PM

Pancor

It was mentioned previously, but get a $10 stethoscope, and stop blindly firing the parts cannon!  Be sure to check the alternator as well, and no, you don't need to replace the entire tensioner assembly if the sheave bearing is the only worn out part.   Also, if I could make a suggestion, stick to only OEM or top-line aftermarket serp belts, as I find cheap ones squeal even when new sometimes!

giant_mtb

Everything I've bought is AC DELCO.

giant_mtb

Stethoscope might not be a bad idea. Should have done that first. I'll pick one up, do some analyzing, and if I need to, return parts. Or just keep them for future use when another idler ultimately starts to go.

giant_mtb

2 rear mud flaps showed up today. Fronts should be in tomorrow, along with a pulley or two.

They're pretty high quality. Similar texture to Hercufenders, much stronger than the flimsy stock ones. A little shorter.

giant_mtb

Did intake and cabin filters...there was no cabin air filter installed lol

giant_mtb

Also, removing Lift will make things easier to work on. I'm tired of standing on a stool.  Pulleys are going on. I'm like an SAE certified serpentine guy now.

giant_mtb

All idlers done besides the one on the tensioner. Couldn't get it loose (I know it's reverse thread)...socket with breaker bar slipped...don't wanna strip it completely. I've got the last pulley coming in the mail tomorrow. But I can't install it cuz stuck nut.

Huskyflaps are on.

giant_mtb

Went for a 75 mile excursion on back roads and logging roads today.  Came to a long narrow downhill and there was a loaded logging truck just coming up to it at the bottom. Stopped and let him go up first (learned that courtesy thanks to mountain biking) and he gave me a honk and said thanks.

BENZ BOY15

Nice trees....bet that's quite a sight during the fall months.

giant_mtb

Oh boy she runs so much quieter now. All dat grindy bearing noise is gone save for the last pulley. Went for a little cruise to get some air (FR was down to 24 lol might have leek) and it wasn't embarrassing to listen to! 

We shall see if the squeal is gone on a cold start. Might be the last pulley, might not be, but I'm glad I changed all the other ones anyway. Needed.

giant_mtb

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 06, 2016, 08:14:41 PM
Nice trees....bet that's quite a sight during the fall months.

Last time I did that road was on dirtbike in the fall. It was cool. The nice thing about winter is that with all the leaves down you can see a lot more of the terrain around you. Saw some views and cliffs and stuff I couldn't see through canopy.

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 06, 2016, 08:17:30 PM
Last time I did that road was on dirtbike in the fall. It was cool. The nice thing about winter is that with all the leaves down you can see a lot more of the terrain around you. Saw some views and cliffs and stuff I couldn't see through canopy.

Very true.

It's a similar thing here, especially on the north side of the lake where there are more deciduous trees and less in the way of evergreen types.

The cliffs probably look pretty neat with all the snow and shit. Though if I may say so, that snow right there is like....Lake Arrowhead status. But last year and the year before probably more than balance it out.

giant_mtb

BENZ BOY15

giant_mtb

Dogflaps make Truck look "less" lifted because vision.

Eye of the Tiger

The hell is a dog flap? My dog had one when they took his balls out, but it shriveled up into nothing after a few weeks.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 06, 2016, 09:15:37 PM
The hell is a dog flap? My dog had one when they took his balls out, but it shriveled up into nothing after a few weeks.

The mud flaps I bought to replace the stock ones are from the Husky liner company. Dogflaps. Huskyflaps. Weird shit, man.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 06, 2016, 09:21:49 PM
The mud flaps I bought to replace the stock ones are from the Husky liner company. Dogflaps. Huskyflaps. Weird shit, man.

Poor dogs. First your tires, and now your flaps. I mean, lots of them have their balls removed, anyway, so I guess they don't need that extra skin. But damn.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

giant_mtb

So many dog noses and flaps.

giant_mtb

I'll have to get daytime pictures.

giant_mtb

So how do I loosen a rounded/rounding bolt.  Worse case scenario, I have to return the tensioner pulley and just replace the whole tensioner assembly (assuming all of those bolts will come easy), but that sounds like a lot more work.

One of those gator grip socket things?  Do those work? lol

Cookie Monster

How much room do you have? Can you dremel a slot into it and turn it with a screwdriver? Or can you dremel two flat sides into it and turn it with an adjustable wrench or vice grips?

Or if the pulley assembly is sturdy enough, just hammer a slightly smaller socket onto it. :lol:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

giant_mtb

Quote from: thecarnut on January 08, 2016, 11:08:29 AM
How much room do you have? Can you dremel a slot into it and turn it with a screwdriver? Or can you dremel two flat sides into it and turn it with an adjustable wrench or vice grips?

Or if the pulley assembly is sturdy enough, just hammer a slightly smaller socket onto it. :lol:

Not much room...and considering the bolt's tight enough that a socket is slipping, I really doubt I'd be able to get enough torque on a screwdriver without slipping. :mask:

I did think about hammering a smaller socket on, but...that was more of a last-ditch thought. :lol:

Didn't think about vice grips.  Might be able to squeeze those on.  And if I can, hopefully be able to produce enough torque with their short little handles to break it loose.

Sounds like vice grips shall be the next attempt.  I guess it only makes sense this bolt is stuck as fuck...it's been tightened hard its whole life whenever it was spun to release the belt.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 08, 2016, 11:04:58 AM
So how do I loosen a rounded/rounding bolt.  Worse case scenario, I have to return the tensioner pulley and just replace the whole tensioner assembly (assuming all of those bolts will come easy), but that sounds like a lot more work.

Line wrench + mallet.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

CaminoRacer

Yes, one of those.

If that doesn't work, get a dremel and un-round it as much as possible. If you use a light touch you should be able to sharpen up the corners without making it too small for the socket.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

RomanChariot

I picked up a set of these http://www.sears.com/grip-tite-7-pc-super-sockets-rounded-bolt/p-00934505000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1 at Sears when I had to get a rounded bolt off of an alternator in a Scion Xa and it worked great. I went with this set because it is lower profile than the Gator sockets and I did not have  room for a deeper socket.

giant_mtb

Quote from: RomanChariot on January 08, 2016, 11:29:12 AM
I picked up a set of these http://www.sears.com/grip-tite-7-pc-super-sockets-rounded-bolt/p-00934505000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1 at Sears when I had to get a rounded bolt off of an alternator in a Scion Xa and it worked great. I went with this set because it is lower profile than the Gator sockets and I did not have  room for a deeper socket.

Something like that might be worth a shot before I decide to start Dremeling shit. Always down for a reason to add to the tool collection. Just gotta find a metric set for 15mm. :lol:

RomanChariot

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 08, 2016, 12:41:22 PM
Something like that might be worth a shot before I decide to start Dremeling shit. Always down for a reason to add to the tool collection. Just gotta find a metric set for 15mm. :lol:

I think the one that I was removing was 14mm so I was able to use the 9/16" to get the job done.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 08, 2016, 11:04:58 AM

No they don't.

These seem to work most of the time m

http://ll-us-i5.wal.co/dfw/dce07b8c-4f7b/k2-_92e7ed8c-6dc3-4237-90cf-dbd9101ed0a6.v1.jpg-ded544917db6374694384be9daa91beb75edd353-optim-450x450.jpg
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator