Toyota Tacoma

Started by giant_mtb, May 22, 2015, 07:37:58 PM

giant_mtb

The mud flaps did indeed do their job. Ran into a couple spots where something like stepping down off of a large rock would scrape them.  So for super serious off-roading, they'd get gone...or broken. :lol:

BimmerM3

Quote from: Rupert on April 21, 2016, 10:49:44 PM
I also drive work trucks with almost 400 hp.

Right, plus the 944. But the low end of your range of regularly driven vehicles was much lower than mine.

Quote from: Rupert on April 21, 2016, 10:49:44 PM
You can get used to almost anything and be happy with it if you let yourself.

I don't know. Would a V6 Explorer have gotten the job done? Yeah, of course. Would I have gotten used to it? Sure.

But I'm pretty sure I'd have always wished I had bought the V8 instead.

BimmerM3

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 22, 2016, 09:29:20 AM
The mud flaps did indeed do their job. Ran into a couple spots where something like stepping down off of a large rock would scrape them.  So for super serious off-roading, they'd get gone...or broken. :lol:

Are they hard plastic? Couldn't you just get some rubber ones that would bend out of the way?

MrH

Quote from: BimmerM3 on April 22, 2016, 09:23:41 PM
Are they hard plastic? Couldn't you just get some rubber ones that would bend out of the way?

I know just the ones...
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

giant_mtb

Quote from: BimmerM3 on April 22, 2016, 09:23:41 PM

Yeah they're hard plastic. I just got these ones over the winter. Stock ones were falling apart. No new mud flaps for a while. :devil: :lol:

BimmerM3

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 22, 2016, 09:39:31 PM
Yeah they're hard plastic. I just got these ones over the winter. Stock ones were falling apart. No new mud flaps for a while. :devil: :lol:

Heh, fair enough. I don't know if you're actually planning on doing any serious off roading anyway, so it may not even be an issue.

giant_mtb

Quote from: BimmerM3 on April 22, 2016, 09:44:45 PM
Heh, fair enough. I don't know if you're actually planning on doing any serious off roading anyway, so it may not even be an issue.

Nah, nothing super serial.  Once I have some fresh tires I'll be able to go a little further and get a little muddier with confidence, but my mudflaps will probably live long lives.

Rupert

Quote from: BimmerM3 on April 22, 2016, 09:22:48 PM
Right, plus the 944. But the low end of your range of regularly driven vehicles was much lower than mine.

I don't know. Would a V6 Explorer have gotten the job done? Yeah, of course. Would I have gotten used to it? Sure.

But I'm pretty sure I'd have always wished I had bought the V8 instead.

I mean, mind over matter and such.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

BimmerM3

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 22, 2016, 09:52:18 PM
Nah, nothing super serial.  Once I have some fresh tires I'll be able to go a little further and get a little muddier with confidence, but my mudflaps will probably live long lives.

Right'o. I'd like to find some fairly easy trails to take the Explorer on just to see what it can do, but overall, access to all of the trail heads I've been to in CO have been much better than expected so far. That said, the space of the Explorer vs an Outback or Forrester has definitely come in handy, plus I've been sticking to fairly mainstream trails thus far.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Rupert on April 22, 2016, 10:03:10 PM
I mean, mind over matter and such.

Yeah, of course. But honestly, there's not a ton of upside to the V6. It would have saved me a grand or two on the initial purchase, plus about one MPG according to EPA ratings. I'd rather have THE POWAH!

giant_mtb

Quote from: BimmerM3 on April 22, 2016, 10:03:56 PM
Right'o. I'd like to find some fairly easy trails to take the Explorer on just to see what it can do, but overall, access to all of the trail heads I've been to in CO have been much better than expected so far. That said, the space of the Explorer vs an Outback or Forrester has definitely come in handy, plus I've been sticking to fairly mainstream trails thus far.

It makes me really itch to get the Tracker going. It's so much smaller...lots of tight trails around here and paint scratchin branches. If you wanna go deep, it's gonna get tight... heh

Rupert

Smaller is always better, unless you're one of those mud bogging troglodytes. :lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Rupert on April 22, 2016, 10:42:31 PM
Smaller is always better, unless you're one of those mud bogging troglodytes. :lol:

No sir!  I just like to get places.

BimmerM3

Well, I ignoring the obvious solution of the Wrangler... there's a very good reason why Samurais have always been popular with the serious offroaders.

giant_mtb

Pegging the Raza Redneckometer at a backwoods makeshift campsite off the powerline. :lol:

CJ

You need bigger tires.

Rupert

He needs lesser lift...

Looks like a decent place-- a lot of those kinds of places are perma-trashed.

Raza

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 28, 2016, 06:42:22 PM
Pegging the Raza Redneckometer at a backwoods makeshift campsite off the powerline. :lol:

That's not quite as redneck as the dirt bike in the bed. Lots of people camp. And that looks like a Corona, not Budweiser or Keystone or something like that.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MrH

Well, there's like 5 full cases of Busch there too, but you city slickers can't see the camo cans like us dumb Midwesterners can.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

giant_mtb

Quote from: MrH on April 29, 2016, 08:31:24 AM
Well, there's like 5 full cases of Busch there too, but you city slickers can't see the camo cans like us dumb Midwesterners can.

:lol:

Except camo cans usually only show up around here in the fall, before hunting seasons. #redneckfacts

giant_mtb

Quote from: Rupert on April 28, 2016, 07:42:53 PM
He needs lesser lift...

Looks like a decent place-- a lot of those kinds of places are perma-trashed.

It's a pretty new spot, was made this spring. Pretty easily accessible with a 4WD, so its glory probably won't last long once the wraith of teenagers finds it and they leave their shit everywhere 'cause they can't take empty beer cans home.

Raza

Quote from: MrH on April 29, 2016, 08:31:24 AM

Haha!  :lol:

Camo cans, for real?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

veeman

I thought no proper redneck would drive a forrin truck :rockon:

MrH

Quote from: Raza  on April 29, 2016, 09:03:59 AM
Haha!  :lol:

Camo cans, for real?

Yeah, you haven't seen those before?  It's pretty damn hillbilly.  giant is right, I think they come out around hunting season.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

CaminoRacer

Don't want the deer to see your beer can and run away before you can shoot it.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Rupert

MrH

Quote from: CaminoRacer on April 29, 2016, 11:32:35 AM
Don't want the deer to see your beer can and run away before you can shoot it.

Or even worse, the deer can sneak up and steal your beer.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

giant_mtb

Rupert

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rupert on April 29, 2016, 12:49:51 PM
Is that a sun dial?

Almost, but the sun is in the wrong place.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator