Toyota Tacoma

Started by giant_mtb, May 22, 2015, 07:37:58 PM

CaminoRacer

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on June 29, 2016, 09:46:07 AM
Buddy's ranger dropped the driveshaft on the highway. Probably just as much fun. :lol:

Did he pole vault the truck? I remember Mythbusters trying that in one of their first few seasons.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

I'd rather drop a driveshaft than lose the ability to steer.

"Well, looks like I'm parking in the middle of the highway for a bit." :lol:

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: CaminoRacer on June 29, 2016, 10:35:23 AM
Did he pole vault the truck? I remember Mythbusters trying that in one of their first few seasons.

No but it ate up the end of the shafts pretty bad.

Other buddy about the same time had his brakes fail on his old Bronco, going down a steep steep steep mountain pass. He put the hood through a convenience store   :rockon:   :confused:
Will

BimmerM3

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on June 29, 2016, 11:06:20 AM
No but it ate up the end of the shafts pretty bad.

Other buddy about the same time had his brakes fail on his old Bronco, going down a steep steep steep mountain pass. He put the hood through a convenience store   :rockon:   :confused:

Your buddy needs to learn to engine brake!

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: BimmerM3 on June 29, 2016, 12:24:55 PM
Your buddy needs to learn to engine brake!

I think he was. I think wall was weak, too.

best part is Ranger buddy was with him and said Bronco buddy ran inside and started putting stuff that was knocked off the shelves, back onto the shelves...

Wait, maybe best part was they pulled (working) Ranger with Bronco and tow straps. Used Ranger for brakes, slowing Bronco. Over the mountain pass between Bear Lake, Utah and Logan, Utah. (quite the pass.)
Will

giant_mtb

Picked it up this afternoon. Airbag light is on and cruise control no longer works.  Maybe they bumped a plug somewhere?  Fack.

BimmerM3

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on June 29, 2016, 01:57:58 PM
I think he was. I think wall was weak, too.

I dunno, "brake failure" and "going down a steep steep steep mountain pass" sounds like too big of a coincidence to me.

best part is Ranger buddy was with him and said Bronco buddy ran inside and started putting stuff that was knocked off the shelves, back onto the shelves...

:lol:

Wait, maybe best part was they pulled (working) Ranger with Bronco and tow straps. Used Ranger for brakes, slowing Bronco. Over the mountain pass between Bear Lake, Utah and Logan, Utah. (quite the pass.)

:wtf: :nutty: :hammerhead: :thumbsup:

giant_mtb

That's actually a pretty awesome idea, to tether the Ranger behind for braking.  Well done. 

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 29, 2016, 04:29:39 PM
Picked it up this afternoon. Airbag light is on and cruise control no longer works.  Maybe they bumped a plug somewhere?  Fack.

Probably steering wheel wire isn't connected well. Clock sorting?
Will

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 29, 2016, 06:09:34 PM
That's actually a pretty awesome idea, to tether the Ranger behind for braking.  Well done. 

And/or dangerous. :lol: Tow strap could break, plus you're using brakes on one truck to stop two trucks!!!

Ah the things we do when we're young..
Will

BimmerM3

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on June 29, 2016, 09:08:50 PM
And/or dangerous. :lol: Tow strap could break, plus you're using brakes on one truck to stop two trucks!!!

Ah the things we do when we're young..

Well, was the Ranger rated to tow the weight of the Bronco? It seems that brakes are frequently the limiting factor in towing capacity. :lol:

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: BimmerM3 on June 29, 2016, 10:26:30 PM
Well, was the Ranger rated to tow the weight of the Bronco? It seems that brakes are frequently the limiting factor in towing capacity. :lol:

:huh: It was a 90s 4wd ranger. Wicked hills, seriously.
Will

RomanChariot

We once had to move a VW Beetle that wasn't running and had non-functional brakes. We created a 3 car train with one vehicle in front doing the pulling and another at the back doing the braking. It worked great but we only had to go a couple of miles on rural roads.

CaminoRacer

RomanChariot

Yeah, the tow vehicle was around a '71 International Harvester pickup and the brake vehicle was '72 Monte Carlo. This was in 1990.

giant_mtb

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on June 29, 2016, 09:07:47 PM
Probably steering wheel wire isn't connected well. Clock sorting?

Yeah, probably a plug un-done somewhere under the dash.  Goddamn.  Not sure how that's something you don't put back together.

AutobahnSHO

Meant clock spring...
Will

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 30, 2016, 11:04:48 AM
Yeah, probably a plug un-done somewhere under the dash.  Goddamn.  Not sure how that's something you don't put back together.

Probably busted the little plastic retaining clip taking it apart, but figured it would be okay when they plugged it back in. But it wasn't.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

shp4man

High mileage Toyotas are know for setting catalytic converter codes (P0420/P0430). Do they have an emissions test in your state/area?

giant_mtb

Quote from: shp4man on July 07, 2016, 05:49:27 PM
High mileage Toyotas are know for setting catalytic converter codes (P0420/P0430). Do they have an emissions test in your state/area?

Nope, Michigan doesn't do testing.

giant_mtb

Front right brake pads are pretty shot.  Can hear 'em squealing a decent amount and they throw out significantly more dust than the driver side.  Pads and rotors (AC Delco) are on the way.  Rears are drums; haven't checked 'em.  One step at a time.

CaminoRacer

I think the rule with rear drums is to just never check them :lol:

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 05, 2016, 06:07:48 PM
I think the rule with rear drums is to just never check them :lol:

That's what I was thinking. :lol:

Next major piece will be wheels and tires. And maybe shocks if I can afford them at the same time. Otherwise those will come later.

giant_mtb

Shocks will probably be Bilstein 5100s (adjustable height).  I'll rip out the spacer lift at that point, level it, with an overall lift goal of 1.5-2", depending on the leveling.  That's another $400, though, plus install (spring compressor rental, time, etc.).  Suppose I'll want to get an alignment done after that, as well.  If I can do wheels/tires, shocks, and alignment all in one push, that'd be sweet.  It'd be annoying to get new wheels/tires, get it aligned (gonna go with slightly bigger tires), then have to align it again after the suspension changes.

giant_mtb

Got a sweet deal on the pads and rotors. Overpaid my CC bill by $60 like 2 months ago and havent used it since, so I kinda got a "buy one side, get the other side free" deal. :lol:

giant_mtb

I'm looking at tires.  Stock size is 265/65/17.  Think I'm gonna go 265/70/17.

Geolander A/T  $157  Load E

General Grabber AT2  $162  Load E

I'm leaning towards the Geolander assuming they'll be a bit more civilized on the street, where 95% of my driving happens.  They're supposed to be pretty good in the snow and look like they'd be plenty decent off road.  But the Grabbers just look coooooool, man.  And are probably a bit better off-road.  Not sure I really need that blocky of a tread for my purposes.  I hear they wear fairly well, though, and are decently quiet (about as quiet as you can expect).

Should I get a Load E tire?  I like to air down if I'm goin' wheeling all day.  Would a Load E tire be advantageous in that regard?  Do you have to keep E tires up at a much higher pressure or is that just what they can handle?

giant_mtb

Should I buy wheels/tires on my credit card or is that a stupid idea. :mask:

MrH

BFGoodrich TA K02s or bust!
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

RomanChariot

The Grabbers are imitating the BFGoodrich TA K02s. You definitely don't need load range E for weight considerations. I run load range E on my K2500 suburban with a 245/70R16 and I load 8 people in it and tow a 7000lb trailer. However, some people like the load range E for off-road because they have stronger sidewalls which handle rocks better. However, they will be stiffer because of it.

I currently have Michelin M/S2 tires on my Suburban and they are quiet and give great traction in wet and snow.

veeman

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 24, 2016, 12:04:06 PM
Should I buy wheels/tires on my credit card or is that a stupid idea. :mask:

Depends on whether you pay off your balance or not at the end of every month.