Toyota Tacoma

Started by giant_mtb, May 22, 2015, 07:37:58 PM

giant_mtb

Quote from: RomanChariot on August 24, 2016, 12:56:13 PM
The Grabbers are imitating the BFGoodrich TA K02s. You definitely don't need load range E for weight considerations. I run load range E on my K2500 suburban with a 245/70R16 and I load 8 people in it and tow a 7000lb trailer. However, some people like the load range E for off-road because they have stronger sidewalls which handle rocks better. However, they will be stiffer because of it.

I currently have Michelin M/S2 tires on my Suburban and they are quiet and give great traction in wet and snow.

Yeahhhh now that I think about it I really don't need E tires. 

giant_mtb

Quote from: veeman on August 24, 2016, 02:25:31 PM
Depends on whether you pay off your balance or not at the end of every month.

Silly idea.  I wouldn't be able to pay it off right away. 

Reason I might wanna fast track this plan is that me and the gf are going down to Chicago over Labor Day weekend and it would be nice to have new tires on.  The tires on it now are...fine...but they're on their last legs. 

Maybe the National Bank of Ma&Pa could help. I have at least enough money for tires, but I also want wheels because the wheels on it now are corroding and leaky.  I drop about 2psi a month if I don't stay on it.  Just did some "wheeling" today and dropped em down to 22psi.  Last I put air in I had them at 28-29...one of em was down to like 26.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 24, 2016, 04:40:27 PM
Silly idea.  I wouldn't be able to pay it off right away. 

Reason I might wanna fast track this plan is that me and the gf are going down to Chicago over Labor Day weekend and it would be nice to have new tires on.  The tires on it now are...fine...but they're on their last legs. 

Maybe the National Bank of Ma&Pa could help. I have at least enough money for tires, but I also want wheels because the wheels on it now are corroding and leaky.  I drop about 2psi a month if I don't stay on it.  Just did some "wheeling" today and dropped em down to 22psi.  Last I put air in I had them at 28-29...one of em was down to like 26.

If you set yourself to a fixed time frame plan; say 4 months, then it's OK in my head. What ends up biting people in the ass is the "oh, I'll pay this off later"'and not really having a plan to do it.

You own the truck outright, so having a maintenance and replacement budget is a good idea, not a bad one.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 24, 2016, 04:47:43 PM
If you set yourself to a fixed time frame plan; say 4 months, then it's OK in my head. What ends up biting people in the ass is the "oh, I'll pay this off later"'and not really having a plan to do it.

You own the truck outright, so having a maintenance and replacement budget is a good idea, not a bad one.

That's kinda what I was thinking. Assuming I spend roughly $1k on wheels and tires...I have about $700 of that right now.  I could pay that much off right away and chip at the extra over the next few months methinks.  But that would also be just about all of my extra/liquid cash. Kind of a necessity, though.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 24, 2016, 04:50:42 PM
That's kinda what I was thinking. Assuming I spend roughly $1k on wheels and tires...I have about $700 of that right now.  I could pay that much off right away and chip at the extra over the next few months methinks.  But that would also be just about all of my extra/liquid cash. Kind of a necessity, though.

Then pay $250 or so over the next four to five months. You can calculate the interest on that, and if you have a good card it won't be much.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 24, 2016, 04:59:05 PM
Then pay $250 or so over the next four to five months. You can calculate the interest on that, and if you have a good card it won't be much.

Possibly.  I just have a standard Wells Fargo card, nothing special.  I honestly don't even know the interest rate because I've always paid it off and never accrued interest. I'm very much a "don't buy it til you have the cash" kinda person.

I'll look into it.  Like I said, would be nice to have before a 1,200 mile trip to Chicago.  I got the brakes done, which was more critical.  I'd have more cash if I didn't have to spend a couple hundred extra for calipers like I didn't expect to, but that's the way she goes and now my brakes are good for the next half decade. 

CaminoRacer

At the same time, might be nice to finish off the tires with that roadtrip. Unless they're totally bald.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Rupert

Yeah, despite H's truck, there isn't much need for fancy new tires in the urban jungle.

I think the Geolanders would be fine-- I think they're a better quality tire. They aren't all that aggressive, which is probably fine. If you drive in rocky places a lot, it might be good to go with the load range Es. I don't put anything else on my work truck, and that's what I have on the XTerra, for the reasons Roman said. IIRC, it's detrimental for load range E tires to inflate them too low, and I think 22 PSI is too low. If you got the more aggressive tires, you probably wouldn't need to deflate as much. FWIW, I never deflate my tires for any reason, though I suppose I might on soft sand (though I would probably just walk from there instead).
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

giant_mtb

Quote from: Rupert on August 24, 2016, 07:35:43 PM
Yeah, despite H's truck, there isn't much need for fancy new tires in the urban jungle.

I think the Geolanders would be fine-- I think they're a better quality tire. They aren't all that aggressive, which is probably fine. If you drive in rocky places a lot, it might be good to go with the load range Es. I don't put anything else on my work truck, and that's what I have on the XTerra, for the reasons Roman said. IIRC, it's detrimental for load range E tires to inflate them too low, and I think 22 PSI is too low. If you got the more aggressive tires, you probably wouldn't need to deflate as much. FWIW, I never deflate my tires for any reason, though I suppose I might on soft sand (though I would probably just walk from there instead).

Realistically, most of my off road driving is dirt roads, ORV trails, and powerlines.  Tacoma is my DD, so I have no itention of ever really WHEELIN it.  I think the Geolanders would be plenty adequate as well.  The current tires, Cooper AT3s, have been plenty adequate even in their low tread state. Just some spots where I shouldn't need 4WD but do because they don't leave many tread marks anymore.  I do drive rocky terrain (mining territory), but I'm good at wheel placement and haven't had any issues yet. 

Now to debate whether I should source locally or just order from tire rack.  We have an installer here, but I'm wondering if they carry the same tires and/or any wheels, too. In which case I'd rather pay local.

Should I get an alignment as well?

MrH

Urban jungle requires only the best off roading equipment.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

giant_mtb

Quote from: MrH on August 24, 2016, 08:21:23 PM
Urban jungle requires only the best off roading equipment.

I do a lot more than urban jungle.  I'm no wheeler, but Destinations wouldn't cut it.  I can do just about everything I want to do with what's on there...I just want new tires with good grip and more confidence.

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 24, 2016, 05:10:07 PM
At the same time, might be nice to finish off the tires with that roadtrip. Unless they're totally bald.

Honestly I probably will. My total goal is to have new wheels and tires for winter. It'll be necessary by then.

MrH

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 24, 2016, 08:22:30 PM
I do a lot more than urban jungle.  I'm no wheeler, but Destinations wouldn't cut it.  I can do just about everything I want to do with what's on there...I just want new tires with good grip and more confidence.

KO2s are expensive, but they last a long time, great on and off road traction, quiet. They're like the pilot super sports of off road tires. Made of magical alien rubber I think.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

giant_mtb

Quote from: MrH on August 24, 2016, 08:25:01 PM
KO2s are expensive, but they last a long time, great on and off road traction, quiet. They're like the pilot super sports of off road tires. Made of magical alien rubber I think.

I'm not gonna pay that money, though. If I'm gonna get a slightly aggressive tire it'll be the Grabber.  I've heard great things about them both locally and otherwise.  They have a good treadwear rating and are apparently fairly quiet.  Would give a nice look to the truck, too.

They're not rated for snow, though, while the Geolanders are. Which makes sense to me, looking at the tread patterns.  Decisions.

Rupert

How many miles do you drive in a year? Part of the reason I got more tire than I probably need is that I expected to have them a long time, and I wanted to make sure I would have enough in the likely case I started needing more aggressive tires in that time period.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

giant_mtb

KO2s are at least $222 a pop on tire rack.  I don't want to spend nearly a grand on tires alone. 

Rupert

Yeah, don't do that. You might find them cheaper if you change the size slightly. I think I was seeing them quoted <$200 last winter, or maybe they were just roughly the same price as what I ended up getting (Bridgestone Duelers).

giant_mtb

Quote from: Rupert on August 24, 2016, 08:34:19 PM
How many miles do you drive in a year? Part of the reason I got more tire than I probably need is that I expected to have them a long time, and I wanted to make sure I would have enough in the likely case I started needing more aggressive tires in that time period.

A decent amount.  IIRC, Tacoma had about 126k on the clock when I bought it last May. At 142.5k now, about 15 months later. So at least 12k a year. I drive a lot to pick up customer vehicles. I'm thinking that will change a bit once I get an actual shop people can just bring their vehicle to, but I still like to drive.  I have to drive 400+ miles to get anywhere important outside of the UP, which I do at least a couple times a year.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Rupert on August 24, 2016, 08:37:03 PM
Yeah, don't do that. You might find them cheaper if you change the size slightly. I think I was seeing them quoted <$200 last winter, or maybe they were just roughly the same price as what I ended up getting (Bridgestone Duelers).

That's for their lowest at 265/65/17.  The KO2, not just the standard TA, is currently on sale on TR for $219, but that's negligible.  I want to spend $160 or less per.

Edit: Especially since I'm packaging wheels in as well. Obviously, I know how to take care of wheels, so if I need or want pricier tires down the road, I can, and my wheels will still be in great shape for them.

MrH

Trd pro wheels. $200 a piece. Do it!
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

giant_mtb

Quote from: MrH on August 24, 2016, 08:55:13 PM
Trd pro wheels. $200 a piece. Do it!

Nah man. Black 17x8 steelies. 

Now that I have hercufenders, I would like to continue the red on black contrast. Two of my favorite colors.

MrH

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Rupert

It's a truck man, come on.

giant_mtb

giant_mtb

wen u (stupidly) think the boards will hold but they dont and u bout to fall in a river. :mask: :facepalm:

Rear wheel (check out that sweet rock ramp yo)

Front wheel

Cookie Monster

:mask:

Dang! Did you get it out safely? Any damage?
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Soup DeVille

Umm, now there's a story there somewhere. 

Speaking of which, ever seen Sorcerer (1977)?

giant_mtb

Managed to get out with no damage. I felt the board snap under the FR tire and down I went. Left side stayed up.  I stopped immediately, tried reversing in 4LO once with no effect besides sliding further right.  Got out, looked, and called a buddy with a Jeep.  He shows up and we assess and plan. Found some good timbers to bridge the gaps for once we got it popped outta the holes.  The rear just needed to pop out and it would be back on dirt.  The front end was resting on the lower control arm.

So, we strap up and try tugging me backwards.  Couldn't get grip, spun a bit, and just slid more to the right.  At this point, rear HERCUFENDER was touching the guardrail.  Grab a come along, attach it to the hitch and tie it to a tree at like an 8 o'clock angle to the left.  Dragged the rear end left a bit and kept tension on it.  Jacked up the rear axle a couple inches since it was pretty much touching the ground and to help it get out. Then with one good smooth tug she popped up. Stopped, un-strapped, reassessed, moved a few inches here and there so my buddy (standing on the outside of the bridge 15' above water) could shift boards and spot me. Once he got things into place, we just inched back til I was clear.  All in all, 30 minutes of assessing, constructing, and action.

It was pretty scary.  It's good to have friends who can and will help you. He said "I'll put it on your tab." :lol:

giant_mtb

Definitely the stuckest I've ever been. Or at least the scariest stuck. Nothing I could do without a tug cause I would have just kept sliding right.

The bridge is...adequate...for 4 wheelers and dirtbikes...but the boards certainly weren't gonna hold my truck.  I should have known. I got out and looked before I attempted to cross, and should've seen there was no real support under the board where my FR wheel fell through.

FoMoJo

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 25, 2016, 07:13:59 PM
Definitely the stuckest I've ever been. Or at least the scariest stuck. Nothing I could do without a tug cause I would have just kept sliding right.

The bridge is...adequate...for 4 wheelers and dirtbikes...but the boards certainly weren't gonna hold my truck.  I should have known. I got out and looked before I attempted to cross, and should've seen there was no real support under the board where my FR wheel fell through.
Lesson learned, I hope.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."