Toyota Tacoma

Started by giant_mtb, May 22, 2015, 07:37:58 PM

Eye of the Tiger

Trade it in for an Element. Then you won't have to worry about all these decisions.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

giant_mtb

Wheels/tires and shocks ordered.

General Grabber AT2 tires.
Black Rock Type 8P black steelies.
Bilstein 5100s all around (height adjustable, so I can level if if I feel like it after removing lift).

So once everything gets here, I'll set up an appointment to get it all together:  De-lift, new shocks, wheels/tires, alignment. 

Pumped.  I think new shocks are gonna help the ride a lot.  The fronts are currently Bilstein 4800s (or some sort of blue/yellow shock...probably stock!) and the rears are KYB Gas A Just.  5100s should squishy it up a touch and be better off-road, especially in the rear.  The KYB's are much more a street shock than an off-road shock.  Just gonna have them re-use the front strut assemblies and springs.  I'm pretty sure the front is just lifted by a spacer and it's not an aftermarket strut assembly...I'll check tomorrow when it's light out to make sure. 

giant_mtb

Also, didn't know TireRack sold shocks.  Was about to buy them from Rock Auto, but can save about $25 getting 'em from Tire Rack.  A couple bucks cheaper per shock and free shipping!

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

giant_mtb

Quote from: Rupert on November 10, 2016, 01:13:10 AM
Good stuff man.

Thanks!  I'm excited to feel the difference, both in ride and tire.  If I ever decide to lift it back up, it'll be done properly (ie, not a spacer lift).  I'll probably have them set the front struts to the 1" lift point, as that seems to be common consensus for leveling the stance.

Also ordered replacement strut mounts/bushings...figured I might as well. 

I hope it's not horribly expensive to get all the work done.  I could do everything besides the alignment, but meh.  I might do the rear shocks myself just 'cause it's easy, but the shop guy's gonna be right there when they remove the rear spacer blocks anyways... :lol:  Pretty sure you have to drop the front sway bar, control arms, and all that kinda crap to do the fronts...and I already tried to remove my front sway bar once with no luck.  Gotdamn rust!

MrH

If your car has the TRD off road package, it comes with yellow Bilsteins stock.  I think the valving is identical to the 5100s you just ordered.  Only difference is you have an adjustable spring seat height via the snag ring grooves and they're zinc plated instead of painted yellow.

Word of advice:  Go buy a can of clearcoat and put a coat on the shocks before installation.  The zinc coating looks cool, but is actually more prone to rust than the OEM paint.  Everyone that works at Bilstein gives them a clear coat before installation.  Don't spray the piston rod or seal pack area.  Mask them off and spray the whole body and eye ring.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

giant_mtb

Mine is a Sport.  Either way, they're all due for replacement!

Good idear about the clear coat. 

giant_mtb

Ugh. Tire Rack called to let me know that everything except the front shocks is in stock...says they're special order and would take 1.5-2 weeks.  Shenanigans!  I can order them from any number of places and not wait that long. 

But whatever. I told them to just hold until it's all available to ship.  No, I lied, I said to ship what they have and I'll wait for the rest

Gives me a good chance for prep...waxing/sealing, clearcoating the rear shocks (good idea!).  Might install the rear shocks for fun, too.

Cookie Monster

Red truck with black steelies is going to look dope.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

giant_mtb

Eye of the Tiger

Wait. You are going to clearcoat, seal and wax your shocks? :lol:
Sure, why not ... rust and everything.

Soup DeVille

Zinc as a coating is supposed to turn white; that crusty white stuff is an oxidized layer that prevents further corrosion because it is self sealing.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanization
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

CaminoRacer

Yay for aluminum body shocks
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MrH

Quote from: CaminoRacer on November 13, 2016, 10:52:50 AM
Yay for aluminum body shocks
You have aluminum shocks? Those are super pricey and difficult to make.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CaminoRacer

Billet aluminum coilovers seem pretty popular :huh:

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 13, 2016, 05:57:15 AM
Wait. You are going to clearcoat, seal and wax your shocks? :lol:
Sure, why not ... rust and everything.

No, I'm gonna use wax or sealant on the wheels.   Not the shox.

Raza

Should have kept the Audi.  :devil:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MrH

Quote from: CaminoRacer on November 13, 2016, 12:38:00 PM
Billet aluminum coilovers seem pretty popular :huh:

Only alumninum shocks Bilstein was making were the Viper shocks, and the manufacturing process to make the tubes were wild.  Some sort of aluminum ingot was like super heated and pressed into tube shape.  Really expensive, ended up with a funky tube size because the walls had to be thicker.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

giant_mtb

Quote from: Raza  on November 14, 2016, 06:00:40 AM
Should have kept the Audi.  :devil:

Oh my god I would've spent like $10k on that thing by now and I'd be living in it.

giant_mtb

Wheels/tires and rear shocks showed up today. As well as the front strut mounts/bushing things. 

The tread on these Grabbers is deeeeep.  Should be fun!

MrH

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

giant_mtb

Much black and a shiny new shock.  Sry it's night-time so it's hard to take pictures of black things.

1/2" tread

If I'm bored enough and have the time, I'm gonna throw the wheels/tires on just to see what she looks like. :lol:

Not sure exactly when the front shocks are gonna be here so I can follow through with the full install and alignment...don't wanna run brand new wheels/tires without an alignment.

giant_mtb

Front shocks are on the way, according to Tire Rack at noon today.

Funny side note about the wheels...the center cap says "Made in USA" but when you look in the back side of the center cap...there's a "Made in China" sticker. :lol:

The wheels themselves are probably made here, but the center caps apparently aren't. :wtf:

CaminoRacer

The center cap was made in America, the sticker was made in China.

Duh.

MrH

If it makes you feel any better, those shocks are made at the plant here in Ohio I used to work at :praise:  :erjerbs:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

giant_mtb

Damn straight. 

I'll probably have a chance to get all the stuff put in the week after Thanksgiving. I'm guessing the front shocks will be here early next week, and I'm not gonna worry about getting anything done next week cuz holidaze.  I've got a buddy that's a service writer/mechanic that I detail for so he should be able to hook me up a bit or at least get me in in a reasonable time.

giant_mtb

Will I need different u-bolts for the rear suspension?  I imagine the ones that came with the lift kit are extended. Can I just reuse those or am I gonna need to buy shorter ones for clearance?

...or can they just slice 'em down.

I'd like to be able to sell the whole lift kit...so fuck.  Maybe I should order stock rear leaf U's, too.

Eye of the Tiger

You could be a trend setter. Dragging extended U-bolts on the ground could become the next trucknuts.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 17, 2016, 08:09:38 PM
Front shocks are on the way, according to Tire Rack at noon today.

Funny side note about the wheels...the center cap says "Made in USA" but when you look in the back side of the center cap...there's a "Made in China" sticker. :lol:

The wheels themselves are probably made here, but the center caps apparently aren't. :wtf:

They're both made in China. When it gets here, somebody clicks the center cap in. The final assembly point is now in the US. Made in USA baby!
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator