Toyota Tacoma

Started by giant_mtb, May 22, 2015, 07:37:58 PM

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 18, 2016, 04:55:12 AM
They're both made in China. When it gets here, somebody clicks the center cap in. The final assembly point is now in the US. Made in USA baby!

:cry:

CaminoRacer

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 17, 2016, 09:53:25 PM
Will I need different u-bolts for the rear suspension?  I imagine the ones that came with the lift kit are extended. Can I just reuse those or am I gonna need to buy shorter ones for clearance?

...or can they just slice 'em down.

I'd like to be able to sell the whole lift kit...so fuck.  Maybe I should order stock rear leaf U's, too.

Depends on how long the threads are. If they are threaded all the way, you can reuse the long ones. I wouldn't imagine the clearance being a big deal in that location unless you're rock crawling.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

I do go off road pretty frequently.  :lol:

MrH

Bolt them up.  If the threads are too long and you're being cheap, just cut them down :huh:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 18, 2016, 12:47:27 PM
I do go off road pretty frequently.  :lol:

I off road daily. Only half of my driveway is paved.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

giant_mtb

Front shocks came in.  Crazy how the whole thing rides on the height adjust snap ring.  Physics!

Now to set up an appointment.

MrH

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 21, 2016, 12:46:29 PM
Front shocks came in.  Crazy how the whole thing rides on the height adjust snap ring.  Physics!

Now to set up an appointment.

Don't ask how the engineering of that works :lol:

They can't even model it correctly with FEA analysis.  Snap rings are just magic that work somehow.  It's used both on OEM applications and aftermarket, so it's not like it's some shade tree mechanic way of getting it done.

The first time I saw it, it blew my mind.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Cookie Monster

I remember being equally confused/amazed when I saw the snap ring design for the first time. :lol:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

giant_mtb

They don't call 'em Jesus clips for nothin. :lol:

giant_mtb

giant_mtb

All the new stuff gets installed on the 7th.  Two weeks.  Just two more weeks of filling my tires every other day.

Eye of the Tiger

Dude just put some slime in yo tires.

giant_mtb

Got an e-mail from Amazon notifying me of a recall on the airbag clock spring I put in a few months ago. 

"The coil harness may not have been centered when it was wound, and, as a result, after the air bag is installed, turning the steering wheel may cause the cable to tear."

I'm pretty sure I made sure it was centered properly before I installed it and my airbag light hasn't come on, so I'm probably good.  But my cruise control still doesn't work, nor the horn.  I have a marine airhorn in my door pocket for super-duper road rage honking. :cry: :lol:

Eye of the Tiger

Clock springs (/coils, w/e) are dumb. You need red rally horns for red rally truck.

giant_mtb

Everything is getting installed today. Hopefully I get it back before dark so I can take some pictures. It'll still go everywhere I want it to even without the lift kit and it'll be nice when everybody stops asking me why I'm taking it off.  Told my boss I was getting the lift off today and he goes "oh, so you are satisfied with the size of your penis."  :lol:

Also funny story.  I forgot to give them the new lug nuts with all the other parts.  Had to run back there.   :hammerhead:

BimmerM3

How much was your wheel/tire package? I'm looking at just under $1500 for the Explorer after tire pressure monitors and shipping. :cry:

giant_mtb

Quote from: BimmerM3 on December 08, 2016, 09:49:15 AM
How much was your wheel/tire package? I'm looking at just under $1500 for the Explorer after tire pressure monitors and shipping. :cry:

Wheels and tires were $1304.20 shipped. 

'Nother $360 for shocks and $50 for strut mounts.

With install/alignment/etc, I'm gonna guess I'll be right around $2k all said and done.  Fuck!

giant_mtb

Pretty sure they had to find/order U bolts. Goddamn I should have ordered those along with everything else. There's a few inches of snow out there and I'm stuck driving my parents' FWD Exploder. :rage:

BimmerM3

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 08, 2016, 11:49:48 AM
Wheels and tires were $1304.20 shipped. 

'Nother $360 for shocks and $50 for strut mounts.

With install/alignment/etc, I'm gonna guess I'll be right around $2k all said and done.  Fuck!

Do you have tire pressure monitors? Those fuckers alone are like $350.

giant_mtb

Quote from: BimmerM3 on December 08, 2016, 12:21:07 PM
Do you have tire pressure monitors? Those fuckers alone are like $350.

Nope. If I did, I wouldn't bother paying for them. 

BimmerM3

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 08, 2016, 12:24:49 PM
Nope. If I did, I wouldn't bother paying for them. 

Hmm, according to TireRack "NHTSA's interpretation of the Motor Vehicle Safety Act prohibits service providers from installing aftermarket tires and wheels on your vehicle without working TPMS sensors." But I guess if I order the wheel/tire package I can just put them on myself without the sensors. :huh:

giant_mtb

Indeed. Nothing prohibits you from buying 'em without TPMS. And once they're on, it's not the shop's problem. Plenty of people run steelies with winter tires with no TPMS...just have to deal with the dummy light on the dash.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 08, 2016, 12:42:23 PM
Indeed. Nothing prohibits you from buying 'em without TPMS. And once they're on, it's not the shop's problem. Plenty of people run steelies with winter tires with no TPMS...just have to deal with the dummy light on the dash.

If it wasn't for that dummy light, I would happily toss my TPMS in the garbage. Black tape isn't good enough. I would have to remove the cluster and desolder the light.

Rupert

I don't know why they don't all show the actual pressures.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rupert on December 08, 2016, 06:43:20 PM
I don't know why they don't all show the actual pressures.

The analog sensors/transmitters that requires are more expensive.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Rupert

OK, now I know why they don't all show the actual pressures.

I would gladly pay that cost to replace the dummy light with something useful.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Laconian

The TSX showed the pressure levels at each tire. Made topping off the tires before a trip a cinch.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Rupert

3/4 ton Dodge trucks have it (and other Chrysler products?), and it's awesome. It got me out of the habit of ever checking tire pressure.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Rupert on December 08, 2016, 08:57:37 PM
3/4 ton Dodge trucks have it (and other Chrysler products?), and it's awesome. It got me out of the habit of ever checking tire pressure.

Thank you govt./Ford/Firestone/Communists for helping us break our good habits.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Laconian on December 08, 2016, 08:40:00 PM
The TSX showed the pressure levels at each tire. Made topping off the tires before a trip a cinch.

But you have to be in and out of the vehicle to check the pressure whereas it takes half a second to check the pressure with a gauge in your hand and keep airing up or down.

I hate TPMS.  But I live in a cold area so I'm used to checking my shit.