Toyota Tacoma

Started by giant_mtb, May 22, 2015, 07:37:58 PM

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rupert on December 08, 2016, 07:34:45 PM
OK, now I know why they don't all show the actual pressures.

I would gladly pay that cost to replace the dummy light with something useful.

Never looked into whether that an option on most vehicles, but if it is, I expect it's rolled into some "technology" package that comes with a wifi hub and heated leather seats for the low low price of $Texas.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

GoCougs

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 08, 2016, 09:48:54 PM
But you have to be in and out of the vehicle to check the pressure whereas it takes half a second to check the pressure with a gauge in your hand and keep airing up or down.

I hate TPMS.  But I live in a cold area so I'm used to checking my shit.

Well, at least on the Q50 loaner I just had, it beeps the horn when you reach the specified pressure (it also shows the psi on the dash). Super brilliant.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: GoCougs on December 12, 2016, 01:20:23 AM
Well, at least on the Q50 loaner I just had, it beeps the horn when you reach the specified pressure (it also shows the psi on the dash). Super brilliant.

Nice!
Will

giant_mtb

So I guess Tacoma was done already but they didn't call because the desk guy took a week off or something. lulz.

The guy who left me a message this morning said "it's done, but we found some play in the ball joints."  I think I'll just skip that for now. Maybe set up another appointment. I just want mah truck back!

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

giant_mtb

Can definitely feel the weight difference in the wheels on acceleration.  I could toss the stockers into a stack one handed...can't do that with the steelies!  Rides nice, though. Smooth and planted.  A little shimmy around 30mph, but otherwise nothing noticeable.  Kinda bummed about that...they're supposed to come SuperDuperLazzerz balanced from Tire Rack.  Unless it's the ball joints causing the shimmy, but it didn't exist previously when it was lifted. 

Diggin the look. Nice and aggressive.

Gonna hit up some (snow covered) logging roads and see how she deals with chatter!

giant_mtb

Tires are great.  Tried a few stopped mid-hill starts where I know the old tires would have failed (in 2WD).  Champ!  They don't break lose anywhere near as easily as the olds, but it's still easy to swing the rear end out with enough trottle.  They're just much more civilized under low throttle situations (expected...the old Coopers were pretty done for).

Eye of the Tiger

You can never have too much trottle.
:rockon:

giant_mtb

Re: Vibration at 30mph...

Probably just some snow/ice stuck in a wheel after sitting at the shop over the weekend. Disappeared after a bumpy drive.

Asked the shop if the lift kit parts were salvageable (eg, sellable) and the guy chuckled and said that no, the studs on the spacers were pretty fucked and a PITA to get off.  U-bolt threads were pretty fucked, too, I guess.  I asked if he had to torch 'em all and he said "yeah, pretty much."  The life of living in the rusty shitbelt.

Rupert

Nice, looks good. Don't put off ball joints too long...
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

giant_mtb

Quote from: Rupert on December 13, 2016, 07:51:40 PM
Nice, looks good. Don't put off ball joints too long...

I won't.  Couple weeks to put funds together.  Then I think the front end should be good and set for a while.  Mechanic didn't mention any other things needing attention, so.  :rockon:

MrH

Looks good.  How does it ride?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

giant_mtb

Quote from: MrH on December 14, 2016, 07:08:41 AM
Looks good.  How does it ride?

Much smoother.  Can really feel the weight of the steelies keeping the tires planted and the shocks do good work on some of the super crappy roads around here.  Tires are a bit louder than the Coopers, but I expected that since they're more aggressive. It's not like a droning noise like you'd get with Super Swampers, though, so it's not too bad.  I imagine the system (tires & shocks) will be even smoother once it's not zero degrees outside and the rubber can flex and shocks can actually warm up.  I can tell the steelies will prefer a pokier driving style, especially off road, but that is my preferred style given my local terrain.  If I was desert racing I'd go for super light wheels.

Overall, I'm happy I did what I did. The shocks are great and it has a much meaner look to it now that it's back to stock height with some beefy tires on black wheels.

68_427

When is the 4.7/5.7 swap coming?
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

giant_mtb

Quote from: 68_427 on December 14, 2016, 12:55:26 PM
When is the 4.7/5.7 swap coming?

I just swapped 5.0qts of oil in it less than a month ago.  4.7 isn't enough, 5.7 is too much. :huh:

68_427

you can never swap too much
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

giant_mtb

giant_mtb

taco needs snowrkel.  see wut happens when u take off the lift kit!   :shakesfist: :lol:

giant_mtb

Taco got a new battery today.  Jesus Christ batteries are expensive. $107 for the basic 650CCA?  Jesus.  I remember when batteries were like $65 and they were exactly the same. 

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 18, 2016, 05:36:38 PM
Taco got a new battery today.  Jesus Christ batteries are expensive. $107 for the basic 650CCA?  Jesus.  I remember when batteries were like $65 and they were exactly the same.

Shoulda gonta Tractor Supply

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on December 18, 2016, 05:37:19 PM
Shoulda gonta Tractor Supply

I was a sucker and went to O'reilly cause it's right in town.  Sigh.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 18, 2016, 05:40:11 PM
I was a sucker and went to O'reilly cause it's right in town.  Sigh.

O! O! O! O'REILLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! autoparts... WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

giant_mtb

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on December 18, 2016, 06:01:47 PM
O! O! O! O'REILLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! autoparts... WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I always heard the last part as "OW!"
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on December 20, 2016, 09:44:35 AM
I always heard the last part as "OW!"

That is probably it. I usually misunderstand lyrics.

giant_mtb

Taco has a window cling on the rear glass of Santa riding a moped pulling a sleigh of gifts. 

CaminoRacer

and Calvin pissing on the gifts?
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on December 20, 2016, 11:32:50 AM
and Calvin pissing on the gifts?

No because those are the dumbest stickers on the planet.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 20, 2016, 11:33:44 AM
No because those are the dumbest stickers on the planet.

I don't get it, but I never read Calvin and Homes. I don't get any of it. Garfield is funny. All other comics sre dumasfukall.