Toyota Tacoma

Started by giant_mtb, May 22, 2015, 07:37:58 PM

Rupert

If you had read Calvin and Hobbes, you'd think those stickers were even dumber.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

giant_mtb

Gave Taco it's first super $10 DIY wash of the winter.

Cycle 1: Rinse to warm everything up and get snow/gunk off.
Cycle 2: High pressure soap to warm more and get it all slippery, fill bucket and add soap before time runs out.
Spray wheels/tires with degreaser.
Wash body, then wheels & tires.
Cycle 3: Pressure soap for first rinse.
Cycle 4: Plain water for final rinse.
Squeegee, and clean the inside of the windows.

Eye of the Tiger

Most of the DIY car washes have signs that say, "NO BUCKETS".
But I don't want to use their stupid brushes to scrub my paint. A sponge in a sudsy bucket is way better.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on December 22, 2016, 08:09:34 PM
Most of the DIY car washes have signs that say, "NO BUCKETS".
But I don't want to use their stupid brushes to scrub my paint. A sponge in a sudsy bucket is way better.

They don't have that around here, but I remember "no bucket washing while others are waiting" signs downstate. But I would never bucket wash if it was busy or people were waiting either way.  That's why I went at 9pm.  3 stalls, not another soul came through while I was there.  Took about half an hour from entry to exit.

giant_mtb

My usual in between wash is just a good two-cycle...one cycle of the warm soapy water and one cycle of rinse.  I'll degrease the wheels and tires in between if I'm feeling ambitious. $5, and no worse than a "premium" touch less wash if you know what you're doing.  Doing that once a week or every other week depending on road conditions is an easy way to keep clean through the winter.

CaminoRacer

I washed mine on Sunday and just sprayed it with soap really well and then sprayed the washmitt with soap. Seemed to work okay. I don't have a clearcoat to stress about, however.

I normally bucket wash but it was in the low 20s so I did it the fast way.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

Yeah, it's always weather permitting, even in an enclosed DIY wash.  It was warm today so I had the opportunity to do the thorough wash. 

12,000 RPM

So you don't actually wipe the car down, correct? What is this high pressure soap witchcraft you speak of?
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

giant_mtb

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 23, 2016, 11:30:10 AM
So you don't actually wipe the car down, correct? What is this high pressure soap witchcraft you speak of?

In the photo above, I did...I brought my own brushes/bucket and squeegee.  But for an in-between wash, no, I don't actually touch the paint with anything besides wet stuff.  I'll squeegee the windows so they're spot-free and to avoid them freezing shut, but I won't touch the paint with any drying device if I haven't actually scrubbed it with a mitt or brush. :ohyeah:

I only have a chance/ambition to do a thorough wash like I did above a few times each winter.  The only way to keep a car clean here in the winter is to not drive it.

High pressure soap is one of the settings on the dial for the self-serve wash bay.  It just mixes soap in with the standard rinse water.  Like a foam gun.  Looks like this when you use it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_WS8ZulPUw

giant_mtb

Now that my garage is clear enough to park inside, I shoveled out the bed (before I washed it last night) and put two 70lb. sand bags in the bed.  140lbs plus a fullish tank of gas...holy fack it's unstoppable. :rockon:

giant_mtb

Sometimes Taco sees daylight in the winter. Hercufenders are pretty shot, color-wise.  You can see the road spray pattern that has soaked in.  Will probably black Plastidip them come warmth to freshen them up.  Checked all mah tire pressures...they were all one or two psi high since we've had some warmth (35F versus near-zero).  Makes a difference when your tires actually hold air. :lol:

Also, winter mileage is crap.  I'm lucky to get 300 miles a tank (17.5? gallons) but I never let it get below 1/4 tank in the winter cuz Safety First.  All that tire spinning and cold starts.

MrH

My winter mileage also sucks.  Do you have the 4.0 liter V6 + 5-speed auto too?  I'm averaging like 17.5 mpg in the winter vs around 19-20 in the summer.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

68_427

Ask for scratch and dent battery next time.  I get $40 brand new interstate batteries with that shit.  Usually like a sticker has a piece missing or something little like that.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MrH on December 24, 2016, 09:35:03 AM
My winter mileage also sucks.  Do you have the 4.0 liter V6 + 5-speed auto too?  I'm averaging like 17.5 mpg in the winter vs around 19-20 in the summer.

So far, Land Cruiser gets about 12.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 25, 2016, 07:23:43 AM
So far, Land Cruiser gets about 12.

So a supercharger couldn't possibly make it any worse

CaminoRacer

Quote from: 68_427 on December 25, 2016, 04:04:30 AM
Ask for scratch and dent battery next time.  I get $40 brand new interstate batteries with that shit.  Usually like a sticker has a piece missing or something little like that.

I just find ways to get free Optima batteries. Still have one sitting in the garage. :lol:
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

Quote from: MrH on December 24, 2016, 09:35:03 AM

Yezzzzzzir

Submariner

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 23, 2016, 11:30:10 AM

Pressure washer + soap. 

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on December 25, 2016, 07:55:35 AM
So a supercharger couldn't possibly make it any worse

That kit you linked was eleven fucking grand. 
I may be an idiot, but I'm not stupid.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 25, 2016, 10:41:59 AM
That kit you linked was eleven fucking grand. 
I may be an idiot, but I'm not stupid.
:huh:
:lol:

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 23, 2016, 03:36:46 PM
Sometimes Taco sees daylight in the winter. Hercufenders are pretty shot, color-wise.  You can see the road spray pattern that has soaked in.  Will probably black Plastidip them come warmth to freshen them up.  Checked all mah tire pressures...they were all one or two psi high since we've had some warmth (35F versus near-zero).  Makes a difference when your tires actually hold air. :lol:

Also, winter mileage is crap.  I'm lucky to get 300 miles a tank (17.5? gallons) but I never let it get below 1/4 tank in the winter cuz Safety First.  All that tire spinning and cold starts.
Are your fender flares Plasti Dipped?
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

giant_mtb

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on December 25, 2016, 11:52:05 AM
Are your fender flares Plasti Dipped?

No, Herculiner.  They were red before. It was too much red.

Eye of the Tiger

giant_mtb

Latest fuel tank: 16.5mpg

Not bad for winter.

giant_mtb

Got a $100 Amazon gift card for Christmas.  Might just spend it on some Weathertech mats for the front. Looks like the front pair is right around $100.  Awww yeeeee

Or maybe a come-along or hi-lift jack.  Except I'm not sure how much use I'd have for a hi-lift since I don't have frame sliders or proper bumpers.  But they make little straps with hooks so you can use a hi-lift directly on a wheel.  Hi-lift can also double as come-along in a pinch.

giant_mtb

Now that I'm thinking about it, I should make and complete a basic off-road checklist (this thread is a great place to keep track of stuff for myself).  Especially since I don't have a lift kit anymore!  I'm gonna get so stuck all the time!  Goddamn TRD SPORT with it's stupid non-locking diffs! ;)  I have one tow strap, but it's a cheap-o with open hooks.  Mostly just for pulling somebody out of a snowbank or something.  Pretty sure most of what I'd like to get I can get at the local Tractor Supply.  But I have that Amazon gift card, so it's burning a hole in my pocket at the moment.

I think a Hi Lift would be a better investment than a come-along since a good come-along (https://www.wyeth-scott.com/index.asp) is pricey while the Hi Lift is cheaper and can be used for both jacking up and as a come-along.  Once you buy all the stuff to double the Hi Lift as a come-along, it's basically the same price as a mediocre come-along from Harbor Fright.  You can just loop the strap onto the hi-lift's awl, but then you're limited to winching only so far where as the "kit" allows you to "reset" and continue pulling without having to park the truck, make sure it'll rest where it is, etc.

So, list:

Shackle hitch receiver
Link: http://a.co/8mKDlVz

Tow straps (and a D shackle for each end)...probably two straps would do.
Link: http://a.co/5OF56AR

Hi-lift jack...mid-grade "all-cast" model...they make a cast/stamped version for like $7 less, the top-line model is $110 and more than I need.
Link: http://a.co/74RdLXG

Hi Lift lift mate
Link: http://a.co/68IsAai
pictured in previous post

Ummmmmmmmmmmmm I also need to rig up some good recovery points for the front end...I don't think the Sport models have anything very skookum.

Something like this:
Link: http://a.co/bEJkiqL

Soup DeVille

I've always found one of these to be handy.

Because it is both a stretchy tow strap and a come along. Hi-lift jacks are cool, but big and clunky and a real bitch to use to pull anything more than about two feet.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 06, 2017, 07:36:42 PM

Because it is both a stretchy tow strap and a come along. Hi-lift jacks are cool, but big and clunky and a real bitch to use to pull anything more than about two feet.

That is too much work

try this:

https://youtu.be/trrEKbc6uqE

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 06, 2017, 07:46:57 PM
That is too much work

try this:

https://youtu.be/trrEKbc6uqE

That video popped up on my suggesteds on YouTube...kinda the reason this train of thought began. lol

Can do that by strapping right around the tire if you really have to. 

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 06, 2017, 07:36:42 PM

Tru enough.  I'm no extreme off roader (nor is my truck), but it would be nice to have some pieces of mined.