Toyota Tacoma

Started by giant_mtb, May 22, 2015, 07:37:58 PM

CaminoRacer

Pro-tip: pickle forks suck. Get a ball joint tool from Harbor Freight. Looks like this:

It'll save you an hour and a lot of frustration
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Eye of the Tiger

BFH always works, too.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

giant_mtb

Well, I already have the fork ordered.  Been looking for a reason to buy a 3lb sledge. :devil:

Either way, can't I just use the BJ press kit to both push the old ones out and press the new ones in?

CaminoRacer

You have to break the "seal" between the ball joint and spindle with the pickle fork or that tool I posted. Then use the press to remove it from the control arm.

giant_mtb

Ahhhh yeah.  I gotcha.

Pickle fork, ball joints, and tie rod ends arrived just now.  Looks like I'll try hammering and pickling.  If that doesn't work for some reason, I imagine the auto parts place rents those separators out as well as the press kits.

Cookie Monster

+1 to Alex. I tried to use a pickle fork on the RX7. Gave up and just used the HF tool instead and it popped right off.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Eye of the Tiger

Pickle forks are good for ... pickles.

giant_mtb

Well shit, I guess I bought the wrong damn tool. :rage: :lol:

We don't have a Harbor Freight or equivalent.  Either way, I'll probably just rent out both the BJ press and separator tool from O'Reilly so it'll be sure to get done.  I'm hoping to knock this project out on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Shiiiii do I need to remove the shock/spring?

giant_mtb

Gave up on this pretty quickly.  Everything sucks.  Need air.  Rented tools for nothin.  Manliness defeated. Wallet will have sads.  :rage:

CaminoRacer

giant_mtb

At least you got farther than me. :lol:

I shall sit here and stare and drink in defeat the beers I intended to consume whilst happily skipping along in a magical world of no rust and fasteners that come lose when you think them to. This dream has failed me.

:partyon:

shp4man

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 22, 2017, 03:34:08 PM
At least you got farther than me. :lol:

I shall sit here and stare and drink in defeat the beers I intended to consume whilst happily skipping along in a magical world of no rust and fasteners that come lose when you think them to. This dream has failed me.

:partyon:

Ya, I think you have to take the upper arm completely off.  Sorry about that. Same thing happens to me when I try to do algebra.  :lol: :muffin:

giant_mtb

On the plus side, I bought myself proper truck jack stands and a properly reaching service jack so I don't have to stack 2x4's and shit under stuff just to get the thing up in the air.

The tire change jack that comes with the vehicle cannot raise it enough to get the wheel off the ground without at least one 2x4 under it. Kind of, uh, defeats its purpose.

giant_mtb

Quote from: shp4man on February 22, 2017, 03:41:35 PM
Ya, I think you have to take the upper arm completely off.  Sorry about that. Same thing happens to me when I try to do algebra.  :lol: :muffin:

I don't think either control arm needs to be removed.  The BJ press c-clamp fits with plenty of room up in there.

But yeah, just too many stuck fasteners to want to deal with it.  Need to remove the sway bar end links to fit a socket and breaker bar under the UCA to get the BJ out...and I know that one's stuck as frig 'cause I attempted taking my sway bar off once before.  Couldn't get the upper brake caliper bolt out, so I didn't get far...lol. I need a longer breaker bar.

Eye of the Tiger

Air tools and lifts make everything possible.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 22, 2017, 03:58:13 PM
Air tools and lifts make everything possible.

Indeed. Some day!

CaminoRacer

The shop will probably remove the arms and use a hydraulic press to do the BJs. A little more work but easier.

AutobahnSHO

I skipped like 4 pages, but bonus points if you get the jack and mount it to the hood....   :mrcool:
Will

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

CaminoRacer

giant_mtb

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 05, 2017, 01:24:05 PM
I skipped like 4 pages, but bonus points if you get the jack and mount it to the hood....   :mrcool:

I'm guessing you mean the hi-lift...nah, not gonna get one.  And I wouldn't mount it to the hood...it would be subjected to any and all road spray and reduce outward visibility.

If I assemble any sort of recovery kit, I think it's gonna be focused around a More Power Puller.  Expensive, but unbelievably strong...so much nicer than a cheap come-along.

https://www.wyeth-scott.com/

giant_mtb

Rupert

That guy knows... something. 0_o

I like all the different tires on that truck. Really shows they know what they're doing.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 07, 2017, 10:25:37 PM
I'm guessing you mean the hi-lift...nah, not gonna get one.  And I wouldn't mount it to the hood...it would be subjected to any and all road spray and reduce outward visibility.

If I assemble any sort of recovery kit, I think it's gonna be focused around a More Power Puller.  Expensive, but unbelievably strong...so much nicer than a cheap come-along.

https://www.wyeth-scott.com/

IMO a shovel is more important than a come-along, but I assume you know that.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Rupert on March 07, 2017, 11:08:14 PM
IMO a shovel is more important than a come-along, but I assume you know that.

Well yeah, a shovel is kind of a given with the hatchet/sledge/shovel trio.  Shovel is the last one I need to obtain at this point.  I'll have the shovel well before I drop $350 on a come-along + rigging, if it makes you feel better. :lol:

I'm just talking about a come-along for when all else fails.  If anything, it's a confidence boost and I'd be more comfortable going deeper/further knowing I have a fairly surefire way to extract if I have to...don't have to go too far to be out of Phone a Friend range.

Rupert

I would consider a Hi-Lift (and its careful use) too, honestly. I don't have one because generally if it starts to look sketchy, I just don't go there, but it sounds like you're interested in going further than the sketch-zone transition. Also good chains for all four wheels; that is something I do have. My philosophy of tire chain use is, if you have to put chains on, eh, how about just... not. But good to have if conditions change or you make a mistake.

giant_mtb

Only thing with a hi-lift is that there aren't many useful places to jack from in stock form.  I don't have rock sliders or anything, and the front bumper is all plastic.  Only thing I could really get under with a hi-lift is my hitch receiver.   Or they have an adapter to lift at the wheel.

I generally avoid sketchy shit, too.  But I'd like to be prepared. :huh:

Never thought about tire chains. 

AutobahnSHO

Was joking about the hood, always seems like trying too hard.
Will

Rupert

The hood is a shit place to mount a jack on a modern car anyway. Anti-aerodynamic, visibility is shitty enough as it is, hood struts won't stay open with all the extra weight. In the bed, on the back, or if you're desperate, on the roof, depending on what you're driving.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Rupert on March 10, 2017, 06:59:04 PM
The hood is a shit place to mount a jack on a modern car anyway.

Correct. Which is why I see the bros doing that and just hope they never rearend me so I have a jack in my neck...
Will