Toyota Tacoma

Started by giant_mtb, May 22, 2015, 07:37:58 PM

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MrH on August 28, 2022, 08:46:40 AM
Don't both of you use Android Auto/Carplay for music?  I feel like those systems have obsoleted bluetooth and USB audio.

Plugging your phone in every time you get in the car is a PITA. I prefer just using bluetooth for music.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

Yeahhhhh I don't really want/need to use Android Auto.  I don't want phone stuff on my infotainment screen all the time, I just want audio coming out of the speakers. I am a simple man.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: MrH on August 28, 2022, 10:30:20 AM
Does anyone with a truck ever use these things?  Always seemed like a practical solution to a shorter bed to me, but I rarely see them on trucks.

Then they can't see the cool backup camera screen... :lol:
Will

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MrH on August 28, 2022, 08:46:40 AM
Any reason you went for crew cab this time around?

Don't both of you use Android Auto/Carplay for music?  I feel like those systems have obsoleted bluetooth and USB audio.

I'm curious what they do for next gen Tacoma and 4Runner.  The new Tundra has those waste gate issues which have been a nightmare.  I'm guessing they'll go turbo 4 cyclinder + hybrid system?  A multi link rear end?

It won't do carplay over the bluetooth, and the USB connection is buggy. normal BT audio does everything I want it to.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on August 28, 2022, 02:07:55 PM
Then they can't see the cool backup camera screen... :lol:

Also true.  I am not used to having a backup camera, as I've never owned a vehicle with one. 

In the old Taco, if I was on a trail and got to a point where I couldn't go any further (say, a downed tree, or just some obstacle I couldn't do) and needed to back up quite a ways in order to get to a spot to properly turn around, I'd put the tailgate down for extra rearward visibility while staring out the back window. Now, I guess I can just look at the screen. :lol:

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 28, 2022, 02:16:20 PM
It won't do carplay over the bluetooth, and the USB connection is buggy. normal BT audio does everything I want it to.

Yeah, I've tried a few times to get Android Auto to work just to try it out, but something isn't jiving between the phone and the head unit.  Plug it in and...nothing.  But that's fine with me.  I think the only thing I'd want AA for would be Google Maps when traveling, but that's easily solved with a little vent-clip phone mount.  The standard BT audio connection allows me to see what's playing, skip songs, etc. on the screen, so that's all I really care about.

giant_mtb

FIRST SICK MOD

Ordered these to keep the seatbelt alarm from annoying the fuck outta me...Kota doesn't wear a seatbelt, so, his will live in the clip permanently and mine will be stored in the center console for adventure days when I'm not wearing my seatbelt out in the woods puttsin' along on dirt roads.  They were the cheapest ($8) ones I could find on Amazon, but MURRICA. :lol:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 28, 2022, 02:40:13 PM
FIRST SICK MOD

Ordered these to keep the seatbelt alarm from annoying the fuck outta me...Kota doesn't wear a seatbelt, so, his will live in the clip permanently and mine will be stored in the center console for adventure days when I'm not wearing my seatbelt out in the woods puttsin' along on dirt roads.  They were the cheapest ($8) ones I could find on Amazon, but MURRICA. :lol:

So, is this when I tell you you can have the seat belt chime turned off by the dealer?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 28, 2022, 03:22:11 PM
So, is this when I tell you you can have the seat belt chime turned off by the dealer?

You can tell me that.  But $8 is easier than a trip to the dealership. :lol:

Also gonna find and disconnect the beeper unit that beeps whenever you lock/unlock the doors.  Can't stand that. My vehicle does not need to beep when I unlock the doors.  When locking, I can understand as a confirmation that it's locked.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 28, 2022, 03:37:39 PM
You can tell me that.  But $8 is easier than a trip to the dealership. :lol:

Also gonna find and disconnect the beeper unit that beeps whenever you lock/unlock the doors.  Can't stand that. My vehicle does not need to beep when I unlock the doors.  When locking, I can understand as a confirmation that it's locked.

I think you can find that in the menus. In fact, I'm sure of it.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 28, 2022, 03:44:24 PM
I think you can find that in the menus. In fact, I'm sure of it.

Oh shit, you're right.  Thank you.  I'm not used to having an in-depth infotainment system...I forget that such settings are available/changeable. :lol:

giant_mtb

First wash 'n wax for the new unit. And of course now it's raining.

Speed_Racer

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 28, 2022, 10:37:49 AM
Yeah, those are honestly kinda neat and practical depending on your use case. But no, couldn't tell you the last time I saw somebody actually using one. :lol:

I think the downside is that they're hard-mounted, so it's either taking up space when you have it folded inside the bed with the tailgate up (if it's one that can rotate, that is), or you just always have your tailgate down, which would be a pain as it makes your truck lile 2' longer by default.

Also, useless for something like a dirtbike or 4-wheeler because...you'd have to completely remove it to get the machine in the bed in the first place. Unless they thought of that and they have some sort of quick-connect mechanism. Who knows.

My extender (taken from a Tundra, actually) sits in U-shaped receiver hinges mounted to the side of my bed. It swings in or out, but when it's pointed straight up I can lift it out of its hinges and remove. Super handy except for the rare occasion it's in the way in or out. Then I just stash it in my back seat area.

ReadyRamps are nice because they're squared off and double as long bike ramps too.

CALL_911

Did your buddy end up taking the old one?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

giant_mtb

Quote from: CALL_911 on September 07, 2022, 04:05:55 AM
Did your buddy end up taking the old one?

Not yet. He took off on a 2-week camping trip the day I picked it up. lol. He's back home now, but he also lives 90 miles away from me, so he hasn't had a chance to take a look at it yet.

giant_mtb

Have begun negotiations for Old Taco. He came down and looked it over and took it for a drive last weekend (I was outta town camping, just left the keys in it for him) so I didn't actually see him, but he messaged me to ask what number I was thinking.

God I hate negotiating with friends.

FoMoJo

Tell him to make an offer.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

giant_mtb

Quote from: FoMoJo on September 20, 2022, 04:46:06 PM
Tell him to make an offer.

Told him $4k (a reasonable number for it, honestly), he asked if I'd do $3,500, and I said yes. Wasn't gonna do anything less than $3k, so I'm fine with it. He's getting a decent deal and I'm not losing out much on it (I've owned it outright since I got it anyways), it's just cash in my pocket.

And the best part is that I'll get to see it once in a while and see its new stage of life progress as he fixes it up and modifies it.

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

giant_mtb

Quote from: CALL_911 on September 20, 2022, 08:27:02 PM
Goddammit

Sorry man. Like I said before, he's been bugging me about it for years, so I knew it would go to him. :lol:

Out of curiosity, what would you have paid for said unit, if I had said "make me an offer" instead of just asking my friend for $4k.

giant_mtb

Crossed over 1,776 American Miles the other day. Gave her a wash this evening after a weekend of dirty back road cruising.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

giant_mtb

giant_mtb

Front sway bar is gonna come off today.

Edit: Wow is working on car stuff easy and enjoyable when nothing is rusted to fuck. Zipzipzip with the impact and it's done.

giant_mtb

Old Taco leaves tomorrow.  Giving it one last good interior cleaning/getting all my shit out of it.  I'd wash it and stuff, too, but it's gonna start raining tomorrow so idgaf.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 10, 2022, 10:13:54 AM

Edit: Wow is working on car stuff easy and enjoyable when nothing is rusted to fuck. Zipzipzip with the impact and it's done.

Jelly LOL
Will

giant_mtb

Ordered a tonneau cover (Truxedo X15) and a Fluid Film kit. Rest of the money from Old Taco will be mostly for helping with rent/bills during the approaching winter (the slow season for detailing).

Eye of the Tiger

Fluid film is good. Some people around here get an undercoating that seems like crude oil sprayed everywhere. It looks like a massive oil leak until you look closer. I hate it.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

giant_mtb

Taco now has a tonneau cover. Will be nice to have an enclosed "trunk" space during the winter. Never had a tonneau before, and since I live in an apartment, I have to park outside. New worlds.

Took me way too long to get it adjusted and squared up properly, but the beers didn't aid in that process. Also, one of the clips that holds it when it's rolled up was broken out of the box. Kinda pissed about that, but I guess I'll live.

giant_mtb

Super bright LED reverse bulbs installed. TACO MODZ.