FFffffffffffffffff...Ferrari 488 GTB road test embargo is over!!!!!

Started by 12,000 RPM, June 04, 2015, 06:02:28 PM

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

r0tor

From Chris Harris's video it appears to be halaciously fast, great sounding, and easy but engaging to drive... So perhaps even better than the 458

For some reason though the Ferrari brand seems to be lacking for me... Its probably a car that I would want the drive more then anything if given a chance, but even if I had the money I could never see myself as a Ferrari owner.  I guess our local cars & coffee has tainted it for me.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

GoCougs

Ha, ha - noticeably less responsive up and down shifts  :facepalm:  (just watch an in-car F458 vid, or even a 991 GT3). Harris wants to say more but he dances around it but not surprising given his relationship with Ferrari. Fer real shame. Ferrari was turning out the best N/A motors in the world. Doesn't sound as good as the F458 either.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on June 04, 2015, 06:43:05 PM
Ha, ha - noticeably less responsive up and down shifts  :facepalm:  (just watch an in-car F458 vid, or even a 991 GT3). Harris wants to say more but he dances around it but not surprising given his relationship with Ferrari. Fer real shame. Ferrari was turning out the best N/A motors in the world. Doesn't sound as good as the F458 either.
Lel u w0t m8. Chris Harris relationship with Ferrari has been tumultuous at best. And wat lag are u seeing. Can u point to timestamps in the video that demonstrate wat ur talking about?

And this thing sounds exactly like the F430 and 458 I actually drove... just slightly lower revving since those went to 9 and this goes to 8 :huh:

Dont do it bro ur jihad will get Seal Team 6'd on this one.

GoCougs

My premise, as all my premises, is indefeatible, so the challenge is accepted and luckily for 'SPIN bytes, already won: by the very nature of how a turbo charged engine works it will not be as responsive as its N/A counterpart.

My point is Chris Harris agrees with me but since Ferrari doesn't care much for him, and he has to go lightly on the criticism of their new darling on their turf on their invite, if he wants to keep getting invited back.

See the Evo vid at about the 1 minute mark and then find F458 and GT3 in-car vids. It's noticeable, and it's a real shame.

12,000 RPM

So in other words u have nothing lel. Another Cougspiracy theory. Obviously a turbocharged engine will not have the same response as an N/A engine; they make up for that with more shove and efficiency though. Unless u can quantify how much lag this motor has over the old one, Im gonna write off your eulogies and go with the word of the guy who called out Ferrari on their BS, bought one with his own $$$, and literally drives them and their competitors for a living.

Bonus lel there is no EVO vid of the 488 GTB... didnt see anything strange at the 1m mark; in the first vid they are just getting into the car, 2nd vid they have a diagram of the car and dont even have in car footage. But I will gladly go deeper down the Cougspiracy fanfic rabbit hole.

GoCougs

So in other words you agree with me - not as responsive.

So what in the hell is it you're doing then?

FlatBlackCaddy

MX793

Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MX793

Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

giant_mtb

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Secret Chimp

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

12,000 RPM

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 05, 2015, 04:43:34 AM
Real talk doe I wanna talk about the Ferrari.

Another massively expensive, massively capable, ugly car that will never be driven much above highway speeds by the people who can afford to reach their arthritic hands into their deep arthritic wallets and actually pay for it. 

Ferraris have lost my interest to be honest.  If I hit the Powerball tomorrow, there isn't a current Ferrari that I would put on my list, which I think is an indictment from the hypothetically nouveau riche car enthusiast.   

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Rich

Quote from: Raza  on June 05, 2015, 06:57:54 AM
Another massively expensive, massively capable, ugly car that will never be driven much above highway speeds by the people who can afford to reach their arthritic hands into their deep arthritic wallets and actually pay for it. 

Ferraris have lost my interest to be honest.  If I hit the Powerball tomorrow, there isn't a current Ferrari that I would put on my list, which I think is an indictment from the hypothetically nouveau riche car enthusiast.   

What would you get?

I think his car is great but I'm never going to own one so it has my interest as much as a 7 passenger SUV
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Submariner

If you hit the powerball tomorrow, can you buy me one?
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

12,000 RPM

U know aside from the "massively expensive" part much of the same could be said about your car

Why do you hold the people who buy a car as a demerit against the car itself? Are u a member of the "Z4 club"? Do u really put that much stock in what a car says about its owner? Pls tell me u arent that materialistic/insecure

Lel, let me guess, their cars used to be so much better in the past and were only bought and driven by heroes of purism.

The same exact kind of people buying Ferraris today are the same kind of people who were buying them in the past. Driving a stickshift car is hardly a Herculean feat or some mind blowing skill. My mom drove stickshift for years and she is not a great driver by any means.

Wat is the real problem here. Because it doesnt seem like its with Ferrari. This gripe u have is downright Chartardesque.

CALL_911

I'm a huge fan. Would totally buy this (particularly its Speciale equivalent) if I had the means.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

SVT666

Not a fan of this car just based on styling alone.  I wish Ferrari would build an F355 equivalent.  If Ferrari built a small displacement V8 pushing 400 hp, a 6 speed manual, 2800 lbs, and sexy styling, I would be all over that shit.  Of course, I wouldn't be able to afford it still so it really wouldn't matter if they built it or not.

Raza

Quote from: HotRodPilot on June 05, 2015, 07:01:24 AM

What would you get?

I think his car is great but I'm never going to own one so it has my interest as much as a 7 passenger SUV

Aston V8 Vantage Roadster is the number one on my list, and has been for a long time. Accessible performance, jaw dropping good looks, six speed stick. Jag F-Type is on the list too, especially if it does come out with a stick.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 05, 2015, 08:18:46 AM
U know aside from the "massively expensive" part much of the same could be said about your car

Why do you hold the people who buy a car as a demerit against the car itself? Are u a member of the "Z4 club"? Do u really put that much stock in what a car says about its owner? Pls tell me u arent that materialistic/insecure

One, you don't need to be a race driver to be able to exploit my car fully. With some training and some track time and dedication (similar to what I've gone through), you can reach the limits of my Z4. And you can still have some nearly legal fun in it without hitting the limits. Two, what a car says about the owner does matter. And I'm not talking about that aspirational bullshit, like buying a Jeep makes me an adventurer or something, when in reality your biggest adventure is likely dropping the kids off at school, but branding and image matter--which is why there is an area of law dedicated to protecting image. It's the same reason I like the BRZ, but would never own an FR-S. On the rare occasion I do wear a hat, I wear it facing forward (but really, I don't wear hats), so the Scion isn't for me.

Lel, let me guess, their cars used to be so much better in the past and were only bought and driven by heroes of purism.

The same exact kind of people buying Ferraris today are the same kind of people who were buying them in the past. Driving a stickshift car is hardly a Herculean feat or some mind blowing skill. My mom drove stickshift for years and she is not a great driver by any means.

Wat is the real problem here. Because it doesnt seem like its with Ferrari. This gripe u have is downright Chartardesque.

It's a combination of the cars being really easy to drive and really difficult to drive at the limit. Older Ferraris were purer; there was a time that Ferrari looked at the 959 and said that level of technology didn't belong in a Ferrari (which, if I remember correctly, was part of the run up to the development of the venerable F40). Nowadays, the cars look and feel like computers. You've experienced it, just as I have. Even on the track I drove that 430, stuck in automatic mode, it wasn't all that exciting outside of the intangible parts of the experience. Great car, in a way, but I preferred driving my Z4 to the 430.

I respect these cars as engineering feats. I really do. But, rarely do engineering feats get my blood pumping. These new Ferraris are damn near perfect, and perfection is hard to love, as with cars and with people. Flaws are what I find so endearing about the 911 (which has also waned for me lately) and cars of its ilk. Yes, I like older Ferraris, not just because they had style, which these cars now lack, but they also had a certain I-don't-know-what (in French), which these cars just don't have. Charm, maybe.

And to be fair, it's not just Ferrari that often leaves me cold. The new Pagani does nothing for me, Mclarens have always seemed sanitized, and even Lamborghinis are less exciting than they used to be.

And it's not just that they don't come with a stick, nor is it that I believe a driving a stick is some mythical quest. It's just how I prefer to do things and that won't change.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

12,000 RPM

Quote from: SVT666 on June 05, 2015, 01:13:18 PM
Not a fan of this car just based on styling alone.  I wish Ferrari would build an F355 equivalent.  If Ferrari built a small displacement V8 pushing 400 hp, a 6 speed manual, 2800 lbs, and sexy styling, I would be all over that shit.  Of course, I wouldn't be able to afford it still so it really wouldn't matter if they built it or not.
They are supposedly bringing back the Dino. So no V8 (personally I prefer the sound of a 6 cylinder....nobody wants to admit it, but flat plane V8s sound like throaty 4 bangers), but all the rest of the stuff u want. OR u could just supercharge a Cayman

Personally, I feel like the F430 and 458 needed more power/torque. My bike is about as fast as the F430 through the quarter, and could hang with a 458 from 0-60. This thing should be down in the 9s for the quarter mile, which is "bloody fast m8". If I were to buy one of these cars I would probably only track them.... even the lowly F430 is fcking pointless on the street, you have to break the law just to warm it up. The cars are fast no doubt but they dont feel very fast. Turbo torque would fix that. U can get divine balance in a $30K Subaru and street fast balance in a $60K Cayman. For $300K+ I want to shake hands with God

MrH

Well on that note, isn't your bike fucking pointless too?  You have to break the law just to warm it up?

One side of your mouth says it's slower than your bike so it's not that fast.  The other side says well, who cares, because it's illegal.  Well, what is it? 
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV