I miss having a nice old car.

Started by shp4man, June 05, 2015, 02:32:34 PM

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

shp4man

Confession? I kind of like the old funky step bumper. Have a big hammer to straighten it with!!  :lol:

The steering box has about 7 inches of play in it- can't be adjusted out. Running with no lube around the ins and outs of a car dealership for 25 years will do that.  :muffin:

giant_mtb

7 inches??  Like, you have to turn the wheel 7" before steering input occurs??

Payman

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 20, 2016, 05:38:51 PM
7 inches??  Like, you have to turn the wheel 7" before steering input occurs??

I'd say more like 3.5" of slop L or R. Typical in old trucks.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

giant_mtb

Quote from: Rockraven on October 20, 2016, 06:25:27 PM

Never driven a truck that old with that much slop. :lol:

shp4man

Quote from: Rockraven on October 20, 2016, 06:25:27 PM

That's it, ya. The rest of the front end parts are pretty good, though.

shp4man

I cleaned it up and work is progressing. I thought my neighbors might be mad at me, but amazingly, they actually seem to like it.  :huh: Just this morning, a nice lady and her husband were out walking the dog, and she said "I really like your truck. It's so pretty!" LOL WTF  :lol:
It was custom painted by God!  ;)

Eye of the Tiger

It is just such a truck. Nothing made today is a truck like this is a truck.

CaminoRacer

Nice! Spare tire + black steelie look is perfect
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Payman

Looking good, except (last time I bring it up... promise) that rear bumper sticks out like a big ugly ass tumor.

MrH

Quote from: Rockraven on October 30, 2016, 06:51:37 PM
Looking good, except (last time I bring it up... promise) that rear bumper sticks out like a big ugly ass tumor.

+1  Can you just take the bumper off?  It would look a whole lot better.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

shp4man

Painted rear OEM style bumper is still available. Was looking at some other step bumpers of the same vintage, this is one of the better looking ones.  ;)

Soup DeVille

Quote from: shp4man on October 31, 2016, 08:55:11 AM
Painted rear OEM style bumper is still available. Was looking at some other step bumpers of the same vintage, this is one of the better looking ones.  ;)

A new painted bumper would look stupid.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

mzziaz

Cuore Sportivo

93JC

Quote from: Rockraven on October 30, 2016, 06:51:37 PM

Dis here's a work truck, boy.

shp4man

So this last weekend, did a gravity bleed on the the brakes and the pedal came back nice. Somebody let the brake fluid level go below the point of no return.
Took out the radiator and thermostat, flushed the rust out, but checked out the radiator passages with a mirror, still partially plugged.
Put in some DIY coolant flush stuff, if that doesn't work, have some nasty, toxic stuff from work to try.
Cleaned up the front bumper, luckily had some flat white spray paint leftover from another project.  :ohyeah:

giant_mtb

Why did you paint over that sweet patina.  American Pickers would not be pleased.

Eye of the Tiger

You can use the rest of the paint to make your own white walls on the tires. Everything this old needs white walls.

shp4man

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 01, 2016, 12:36:25 AM
Why did you paint over that sweet patina.  American Pickers would not be pleased.

No patina was harmed, only the removal of some really crappy silver spray paint somebody did.  :lol:

shp4man

New steering box and 2 new window regulators on order from Rockauto.

CaminoRacer

shp4man

Quote from: CaminoRacer on November 01, 2016, 12:19:07 PM
Window regulators?

Driver's side missing, passenger side worn out.

Edit: Just did the title transfer today. It's officially my vehicle now.  :rockon:

CaminoRacer

I didn't realize they were called regulators for crank windows.

giant_mtb

Quote from: shp4man on November 01, 2016, 07:50:01 AM
No patina was harmed, only the removal of some really crappy silver spray paint somebody did.  :lol:

Ohhhh, I gotcha.

shp4man

It's a bitch cuz it gets dark at like 7 now and will only get worse when they change the time on Nov. 9. No time to work on Ol' Blue after work!  :lol:

cawimmer430

Hey shp4man,

What do you think about my version?  :lol:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

shp4man

What a beautiful custom paint job!
:lol: :ohyeah:

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

shp4man

Quote from: cawimmer430 on November 05, 2016, 03:34:53 PM
Glad you like it! :lol:

You know, the more I look at it, the more I think it's real art. Like, it transcends Trump and the election. Or maybe just drinking too much vodka. Not sure. Anyway, hell of a job!.  :ohyeah: