Seat Belts

Started by sparkplug, December 12, 2005, 03:46:53 PM

sparkplug

We often hear about seat belts and the need to buckle up. Recently my state started enforcing a law where not wearing your seat belt is a primary offense. Before this, they could only charge you for not wearing you selt belt as a secondary offense.

I know that seat belts make a big difference in your survival of an accident, but I wonder what citizens and law enforcement feel about the issue of having to wear a seat belt.

I've heard people say that the insurance is behind this as a way to make more money but I wonder I if at all they would consider the cost of treating people injured in a car accident and not wearing seat belts. The injuries substained from ejection would no doubt be much worse because aren't they like head first.

Just an opinion. I would like LEO's 2? on the subject because they are the people who see accidents every day.

Catman

I wear mine 100% of the time, no exceptions.  I've seen to many accidents were people get forced out a window during a rollover and they get crushed.  On one occasion we actually lifted a vehicle off a 400lb dude (dead).  Even he couldn't stay in the car.  

footoflead

I wear mine 100% of the time when i'm on the road or a crazy ass parking lot...on my own property no..becaues a) i'm going 15mph tops B ) the only thing i'm going to hit is a tree or a fence (but thats what gates are for) and we dont have many in my huge yard..so i'm sure i can avoid them...

i also make my passengers buckle..one of my friends doesnt like to..but since we got the new truck...it beeps at me when he doesnt..so i make him...

i've avoided many accidents due to people talking on cell phones...or just distracted...and i dont want my friends to get hurt
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Raza

A kid from my high school died and his girlfriend survived in a crash this summer.  The difference?  She wore her seatbelt.

I wear it, 100% of the time.  My car doesn't move until all people are buckled.

And from a performance standpoint, it makes sense as well.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Run Away

I wear it all the time, though I do start driving before I buckle up (get in, put it in gear and start moving, shift to second, put on seatbelt is my normal routine when leaving the back alley of dominos).

ifcar

There is no reason whatsoever not to have the belt on, no matter how slow you're going or how short a trip. It takes all of one second to attatch it, which I do even moving the car from the street to the driveway.  

Catman

When I'm working patrol I always take the belt off when I get within a few houses of my destination.  This allows me to ensure my gun belt isn't going to hang up on it when I need to get out.  

footoflead

QuoteThere is no reason whatsoever not to have the belt on, no matter how slow you're going or how short a trip. It takes all of one second to attatch it, which I do even moving the car from the street to the driveway.
well there isnt a need on a farm road or doing something that requires moving mabey 50-100ft and then getting out...on a road no matter how busy or deserted..i have my seatbelt on...there is no telling when something could happend and you crash into a tree (like my accident...glad i was wearing mine...especially since the airbag didnt go off, not that that woulda helped much if i didnt wear it... :ph34r:  

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Tom

I got into the habit of not wearing it moving slow around town.  It's more comfortable imo, but that's not a good reason.  I'll start wearing it again.  It's ticketable, too, if pulled over.

J86

QuoteI got into the habit of not wearing it moving slow around town.  It's more comfortable imo, but that's not a good reason.  I'll start wearing it again.  It's ticketable, too, if pulled over.
same here.  i wear it except when driving downtown in summer traffic.  too damn slow to matter, and the belt causes my shoulder to sweat its really uncomfortable when im moving that slow, no wind to cool things off.

footoflead

QuoteI got into the habit of not wearing it moving slow around town.  It's more comfortable imo, but that's not a good reason.  I'll start wearing it again.  It's ticketable, too, if pulled over.
same here.  i wear it except when driving downtown in summer traffic.  too damn slow to matter, and the belt causes my shoulder to sweat its really uncomfortable when im moving that slow, no wind to cool things off.
thats what a/c's for...

you probably dont need it...but down here..its nesscary to survivel in downtown

(spell check was off for this post)

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Tom

QuoteI got into the habit of not wearing it moving slow around town.? It's more comfortable imo, but that's not a good reason.? I'll start wearing it again.? It's ticketable, too, if pulled over.
thats what a/c's for...

you probably dont need it...but down here..its nesscary to survivel in downtown

(spell check was off for this post)
Some people either don't have a working ac or don't like using it(me and me).  He's right about the summer thing, I remember that.  Your stomach gets all sweaty and the seat belt pushes your shirt against you.  From there, your sweat acts like a glue and now you got a mess on your hands :(

J86

Tom- exactly.  And I don't have working A/C.  You want to pay to repair it, sure I'll wear my seatbelt. :D

Speed_Racer

I wear mine 100% of the time.

My normal routine is to start the car, back out of whatever I'm in, and as I start rolling in first, to snap the thing on.

After having a friend paralyzed in an accident, I am super aware to wear it all the time. It's a habit now.

Secret Chimp

Anybody who doesn't wear a seatbelt is a moron.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

ifcar

QuoteThere is no reason whatsoever not to have the belt on, no matter how slow you're going or how short a trip. It takes all of one second to attatch it, which I do even moving the car from the street to the driveway.
well there isnt a need on a farm road or doing something that requires moving mabey 50-100ft and then getting out...on a road no matter how busy or deserted..i have my seatbelt on...there is no telling when something could happend and you crash into a tree (like my accident...glad i was wearing mine...especially since the airbag didnt go off, not that that woulda helped much if i didnt wear it... :ph34r:
But there's no reason not to wear it either. The worst that could happen is that you'll be inconvenienced in the second or two it takes to put it on, and it could save your life even on a driveway.  

Raza

QuoteWhen I'm working patrol I always take the belt off when I get within a few houses of my destination.  This allows me to ensure my gun belt isn't going to hang up on it when I need to get out.
Okay, that sounds legit.  But make sure I don't see you, or I'll citizens' arrest your ass.

:D  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

I don't even feel comfortable in a seat without a seatbelt on.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

footoflead

QuoteI don't even feel comfortable in a seat without a seatbelt on.
me either...

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Champ

dito

J86

QuoteAnybody who doesn't wear a seatbelt is a moron.
well i think youre a moron

so cal cookie

Same here.

I always felt wierd on a school bus or charter bus because they don't have seatbelts.

Secret Chimp

What is with you posting like you're drunk?

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

MX793

Seatbelts have been required by law in NY for quite some time.  I always wear mine.  I think the only time I don't is when I'm just moving my car out of the driveway and out of the way.  Otherwise, I wear it whenever the car is moving.  I just don't feel right unless I'm belted in.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

QuoteSeatbelts have been required by law in NY for quite some time.  I always wear mine.  I think the only time I don't is when I'm just moving my car out of the driveway and out of the way.  Otherwise, I wear it whenever the car is moving.  I just don't feel right unless I'm belted in.
Yesterday I stopped at the inlet of my driveway to get the mail, and when I got back in, I fought the urge that put my seatbelt back on for the 25' drive, but it felt incredibly odd to drive that short distance.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

J86

What is with you posting like you're drunk?
Haha I dunno, I just felt that a blanket statement like that needed a rebuttal!  No hard feelings...

sparkplug

I wear my seat belt all the time, especially when I ride with brother. I probably should wear a crash helmet when I ride with him.
I feel too free and unrestained without the seatbelt which is what it is, a restraint. I reckon when you consider your body weight traveling at a 55 miles per hour or even 25 mph it still retains the energy of movement at that speed.

I've heard of people flying out of the windshield, having their head stuck out of the side window, people bouncing around in the car. You can either choose to buckle up and have a good idea where you'll be after the crash or take those free flying lessons. My uncle broke his neck in a car accident. That was before they had seat belts. I never got to meet him.

Princess Diana was in the safest part of the vehicle (the back seat) but she didn't wear her seat belt and because of that fact her children had to grow up without their mother. The seat belt isn't guaranteed to save but the chance that she would have lived would have been significantly greater. I know it's been around ten years but I remember the news coverage.