“The Steering Wheel Came Off In His Hands”

Started by 12,000 RPM, June 12, 2015, 08:42:54 AM

12,000 RPM

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2015/06/steering-wheel-came-off-hands/

QuoteOn September 14th of last year, a participant in the "Rusty Wallace Racing Experience" at Kentucky Speedway crashed into first the inside track wall, then the SAFER barrier on the outside of the track. One week later, he died from the multiple and severe injuries he sustained in that crash.

On Wednesday, the text of the lawsuit filed by his estate against multiple parties was released. The allegations contained in the lawsuit should horrify anyone who has ever considered participating in, or instructing for, one of these rent-a-stock-car "experiences".

The full text is available here but I will summarize the most disturbing allegations below:
•The quick-release steering wheel on the car provided to Mr. Cox wasn't just carelessly installed after Cox got in the car – it was on backwards. This is possible with some of the cheaper circle-track equipment and indeed when I went circle-tracking back in 2009 or so I once had my crew do it to me.
•The position of the wheel after the crash and various forensic evidence suggests that the wheel came off in his hands while Cox was driving at over 100mph.
•And it's at least the third time that such a thing has happened at the Rusty Wallace Expericence.
•To get him comfortable in the car, a thick foam pad was placed behind Cox, putting him in a position to strike his head against the halo cage should there be a crash.
•The car was immediately cleared from the track so other participants could have their Experience.
•Mr. Cox was hard on the brakes when he hit the wall, attempting to stop a car with no steering wheel.
•The cage failed and the A-pillar cracked, possibly because it was hit that hard by the driver's head.
•The head supports on the seat were rendered ineffective by the placement of the spacer pad behind Cox.
•Although Cox had a HANS device on, it didn't work... •...because photos show the shoulder belt was routed next to it, not over it,
•...possibly because the individual who strapped Cox in has a "long history of drug abuse".
•...leading to a basal skull fracture,
•...which is what the HANS prevents.

•The seatbelts in the car were expired and not legal for competition.
•The driver's suit was not competition legal.
•No gloves were provided.
•The seat was not SFI-rated (although to be fair, I don't think the LaJoie seat in my Neon is, and I've hit the wall at Mid-Ohio at approximately 90 mph and walked away thanks to that LaJoie seat and my HANS Professional.)
•The window net was from 2006.
•Medical expenses for Mr. Cox prior to his death exceeded $414,000.

If even half of these allegations are true, and the plaintiffs have plenty of photographic and forensic evidence to suggest that this was the case, then "Rusty Wallace Racing Experience" has probably turned its last lap. But they aren't the only game out there. So, let's go over some brief safety guidelines for any time that you spend in a rent-a-racer or rental exotic car:
•The car you are about to drive should pass a basic visual inspection.
•You should look for the presence of technical personnel there checking the cars for tire pressure, lug nut torque, and fluid leaks.
•Make sure your helmet fits your head snugly. If they give you a HANS device, make sure it's attached correctly to your helmet (by tugging on it HARD) and make sure the belts go OVER the HANS.
•Ask for gloves, preferably fireproof ones. They can save your hands.
•Don't drive a car with excessive play in the steering or a low brake pedal or any noises that don't sound right to you.
•If something scares you when you're on the track, come in immediately and go home. It's cheaper than taking a LifeFlight, trust me.
•It's okay to ask your instructor for his qualifications...
•...and don't go on an unfamiliar track, or with an unfamiliar car, without an instructor.

If you have further questions about a particular event or provider, email me care of the site and I'll tell you the whole truth as I know it and nothing but, okay?

JFC

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Eye of the Tiger

How the fuck do you put a steering wheel on backwards and not notice?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

shp4man

Not just in a racing environment, but any time an off the street, know nothing idiot works on a car it creates a potential dangerous situation.
But you do get a brake job for only $99! It's worth it, man!
:facepalm:

JWC

Quote from: shp4man on June 12, 2015, 08:59:40 AM
Not just in a racing environment, but any time an off the street, know nothing idiot works on a car it creates a potential dangerous situation.
But you do get a brake job for only $99! It's worth it, man!
:facepalm:

I can't say what company it was, but I witnessed a mechanic use an impact gun on new rear brake drums I sold the customer, until it not only warped, but pulled the lug bolt through it--on both sides. Then, he dug through the scrap pile until he found the original old drums, and used those instead. And they still charged him for the new drums. I left soon afterward and swore I'd never work for an independent/ franchise-type garage again.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on June 12, 2015, 08:49:47 AM
How the fuck do you put a steering wheel on backwards and not notice?

It's not that hard to fail at plugging the wheel in. When I rented the Spec Miata I had a scare (jiggling) after that I would double check every time.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on June 12, 2015, 05:40:06 PM
It's not that hard to fail at plugging the wheel in. When I rented the Spec Miata I had a scare (jiggling) after that I would double check every time.

Some people have no business operating machinery of any kind.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

VTEC_Inside

I did the Richard Petty thing at Las Vegas Motor Speedway once.

I remember 2 things specifically:
-flooring it at just over 120mph (estimated from lap times) still pinned me back in the seat fairly hard.
-we were instructed to kill the engine coming back into the pits, I really don't think the brakes were boosted at all because it seemed as though the pedal didn't move and it didn't really seem to slow down all that quick either.

I can imagine the panic he experience as he slammed on the brakes, I was a little freaked by my experience and the worst that could have happened to me was rolling right through...

Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

MX793

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on June 12, 2015, 09:36:12 PM
I did the Richard Petty thing at Las Vegas Motor Speedway once.

I remember 2 things specifically:
-flooring it at just over 120mph (estimated from lap times) still pinned me back in the seat fairly hard.
-we were instructed to kill the engine coming back into the pits, I really don't think the brakes were boosted at all because it seemed as though the pedal didn't move and it didn't really seem to slow down all that quick either.

I can imagine the panic he experience as he slammed on the brakes, I was a little freaked by my experience and the worst that could have happened to me was rolling right through...

Those brakes need some heat in them to really work.  If you weren't really using them in your laps, then they were probably still pretty cold.  That or there was something wrong with the car you had (glazed pads or something).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5