Was driven in two of the new GM trucks...

Started by SJ_GTI, June 22, 2015, 07:20:15 AM

SJ_GTI

So coincidentally, I got to be driven in two of the new GM trucks. On Friday our VP of Engineering where I work got a new GMC Sierra. Fully loaded...looks and feels like a luxury car.  :lol: I am not a truck person so I was amazed out how big/comfy the backseat was. It only had the 5.3L engine but man it pushed me back in my seat when he hit the gas. Was surprised. Seats were surprisingly comfortable as well... decent bolstering and lumbar support. I am used to the crappy seat I have in the old Dodge Ram I bought and, prior to that, driving mainly in trucks with bench seats.  :lol: FWIW, he had originally wanted to buy one of the new all aluminum Ford trucks because theoretically you could get an extended cab (or is it a crew cab? can't remember which is which) with an 8' bed, but apparently they only make those very occasionally and they weren't going to make them again until 2016 (supposedly, cannot say if this is true or not, but it is what he told me). So since he had to "settle" for a smaller bed he decided to go with a GM truck.

Then the next day I went with my uncle to help pick up a new mattress for my mom. He had just bought a new Silverado. It was the exact same configuration as the Sierra, but not as many options. Fabric seats instead of leather, aluminum trim instead of wood, etc...but from a passenger POV it felt the same. I would even add that the fabric for the seats felt relatively upscale compared to most fabric seats I have been in.

Nothing else to add except that overall I am impressed how nice these trucks are. I can kind of understand why folks buy them as daily drivers. They are very comfortable, but then can be used for chores and such.

12,000 RPM

Those trucks with the 6.0L run like low 14s in the quarter. Fcking insane. Coworker had a last gen Silverado... I was not impressed at all. You feel completely detached from the road.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Gotta-Qik-C7

The price of the loaded versions look like "Luxury Cars" also!  :lol:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

SVT666

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 22, 2015, 09:19:02 AM
Those trucks with the 6.0L run like low 14s in the quarter. Fcking insane. Coworker had a last gen Silverado... I was not impressed at all. You feel completely detached from the road.
They're trucks, not sports cars.  Nobody buys them for driving dynamics.

SVT666

If I was buying a new truck, it would be between the GM twins and the Ram for me. The GM twins would have the edge though. The new ones are very handsome trucks.

AutobahnSHO

They are very very nice. Rode in the back of a new GMC a few months ago- I could kick my feet up on a footstool and still not get dirt on the front seat...

The pricetags are insane though because the market supports them. I  imagine the profit margin on trucks is 10-30% higher than for cars.
Will

SVT666

GM trucks have always been the last option for me until the newest generation was released.  I really like these new pickups.  Chrysler has jumped the shark with the new Ram's grille and tailgate styling and Ford's new F-150's styling is over the top as well.  Meanwhile GM has styled their new trucks with crisp clean lines and ended up with really handsome trucks.  I just hope they aren't plagued with recall-itis like the rest of GM's lineup.  The ATS and CTS were just recalled due to defective brakes.

MrH

Yeah, the giant crew cab trucks are actually pretty awesome for daily driving.  They're stupid expensive though.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV