When will you hang it up?

Started by Rich, June 22, 2015, 11:55:27 AM

Rich

Nick's thread made me wonder when I'd put up the driving shoes

I'd like to think I'll die in my 60s so I don't have to worry about it. I'd guess once I start having more than one near miss of my own doing a year is about the time, though.

When do you think you'll give up driving, if at all?
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

SVT666

They will have to pry the keys from my cold dead hands...after they use the jaws of life to extract my body from the car.

shp4man

61 here. Still drive, sometimes fast, ride a motorcycle and a mountain bike. I'm not as crazy as a young guy, though.  :lol:

Raza

It's funny, but I find thinking about dying far more agreeable than thinking about getting old.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MexicoCityM3

When they ban me from the roads because of autonomous cars. Even then, I'll still go to the track just as horse riding fanatics do today.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Cookie Monster

I'm hoping I go out before I get to the point of being too old to drive or take care of myself.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Rich

Quote from: SVT666 on June 22, 2015, 12:14:05 PM
They will have to pry the keys from my cold dead hands...after they use the jaws of life to extract my body from the car.

Hopefully you're not cold and dead because you made a judgement error due to old age and killed a few others in the process.  :confused:

12,000 RPM

I look forward to getting old. I will just move into a condo in a walkable neighborhood at that point. People tie way too much of their identity into driving. I love it, it's a huge part of who I am, but it's not that serious. Theres always Forza.

I plan on staying physically active with exercise and sports for as long as possible so hopefully that will help. As a lot of old peopel I've met demonstrate, the human body is very use it or lose it. You dont keep your body up and your reflexes sharp you will be useless in old age.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

veeman

Very hard to predict when you won't be able to drive.  You might take good care of yourself but end up with early onset Alzheimers, some other neuromuscular problem like a stroke, or poor vision. 

Also it depends if you're in an area or have a situation where you have easy access to other transportation or have enough cash for cabs.

I'll know its time to start preparing to hang it up if I don't feel confident driving at night.  Hopefully I won't be so pig headed to ignore it but I can't predict that either.  I'm much more pigheaded than I was 10 years ago and I know it's just going to get progressively worse.

Laconian

I'm young and invincible and immune to aging. So, never.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Rich

I guess I meant more along the lines of what events need to happen that you know it's time to stop driving. Some above thought I was referring to a specific age. (I just assumed my senses would be shitty by the time I get well into my 60's)

Lebowski

I imagine it's very hard to judge once you are at that point but best bet is probably when those you trust (children etc) tell you it's time to hang it up. I remember it was a bit of a challenge for my dad and uncle to convince my grandma to stop driving, but she was a danger at that point having caused several minor accidents, the last of which iirc she could not remember clearly what happened.

Rupert

My grandmother stopped driving at night a decade or more ago. Then maybe four years ago she backed the car into a parking structure, totaled it, took the insurance money, and gave up her license. She's 90. Seems about right.

But then my grandfather on the other side is 93, senile, clueless, slow, a scary driver, and he passed the state old man drive test a year ago. :huh:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

12,000 RPM

I think a lot of people are reluctant to do it because they dont plan for it.

Like I said I hope I won't live in a way where I need a car to live when I can't drive anymore.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Cookie Monster

I'm hoping by the time I'm old, conventional cars will be used for shiggles only (like on a track, kind of like horses now) so if I do something stupid due to old age I don't take anyone out with me, or I hope that they just figure out how to stop people from aging. That would be better.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

shp4man

I'll only quit if I can find another way to get to my Walmart greeter job at age 85.  :huh:

Lebowski

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 26, 2015, 02:00:53 PM

I think a lot of people are reluctant to do it because they dont plan for it.

I think more than that, it's a sign of losing your independence.  It's basically one step away from being moved to an assisted living facility.  I imagine it being a very hard thing to accept.

I live in an area where you definitely need a car as a young/working person, but when you get that old that you shouldn't drive (~90ish for my grandma) you probably don't need to get around much anyway, and can use a service for those things you do (grocery shopping etc).

2o6

Quote from: Laconian on June 26, 2015, 11:44:53 AM
I'm young and invincible and immune to aging. So, never.

As I learned yesterday, we gays are immortal

280Z Turbo

What will happen if you become too gay to drive?

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Payman

When I die peacefully in my sleep... not screaming like my passengers.

Byteme

Quote from: Rockraven on June 28, 2015, 08:33:03 AM
When I die peacefully in my sleep... not screaming like my passengers.

Dammit.

I was going to post that.   :banghead:

Soup DeVille

When I can no longer piss standing up.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

ChrisV

Quote from: Lebowski on June 26, 2015, 09:11:46 PM

I think more than that, it's a sign of losing your independence.  It's basically one step away from being moved to an assisted living facility. 

Yup, when they told my father in law he couldn't drive anymore, he started physically and mentally deteriorating rapidly because he never really went anywhere like he had when he was driving.

I know a guy whose rookie year of road racing wha the year he retired, at 65. And a few others who were still into sports cars well into their 90s (like Paul Frere). So I'm hoping that I can keep my faculties around long enough to join that group.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Eye of the Tiger

I figure being old and senile is a good excuse for driving foolishly fast. I look forward to it.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

RomanChariot

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 24, 2015, 10:50:59 AM
I figure being old and senile is a good excuse for driving foolishly fast. I look forward to it.

My father just decided to hang it up this week. He has been having some problems with passing out recently and decided it was not safe to drive anymore. He is 80. I respect the fact that he made the decision for himself and we did not have to take away his keys.