Audi A4

Started by 2o6, June 28, 2015, 10:43:54 PM

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on June 29, 2015, 10:53:07 AM
What is that virtual dash gonna look like in 3, 5 or 7 years, even given the off chance it's not buggy? I can't imagine it looking nothing other than even more awful.

As to the exterior, esp. the avant, the roof line doesn't slope like it used to so the car doesn't give the appearance of sitting back on its haunches, which Audi pulled off masterfully with the B8.

I'm bummed. The B9 S4 was a contender but not looking like this (there's also a rumor Audi will be using a TTV6 with an electric supercharger to mitigate/eliminate boost  :facepalm:).
An electric supercharger?  It's going to require at least 50 hp electric motor to turn that thing.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on June 29, 2015, 10:53:07 AM
What is that virtual dash gonna look like in 3, 5 or 7 years, even given the off chance it's not buggy? I can't imagine it looking nothing other than even more awful.

Probably the same as any other 10 year old LCD screen... that is not new technology :huh:
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on June 29, 2015, 11:17:51 AM
Based on what everyone says around here, it's the case that no one is satisfied by the hideous new cars or the good looking ones. If anything, people seem to prefer the grotesque slightly.

And it doesn't look old at all. Evolutionary designs last longer; it's the jarring changes that end up looking dated. Fact is the the current A4 and the last gen too are both head and shoulders better looking than anything in the market then or now, and this looks better than everything else.

Lol, fact is you are confusing your opinion as fact. Fact is, this all new A4 looks like a light refresh of the nearly 10 yr old B8. Fact is, consensus in the automotive world is that the B8 wasnt an ugly car, but hardly some kind of beautiful classic worth preserving for 2 decades. And since when do we agree here on anything? Can u name a car released in the last 12 months we have all reached some kind of consensus on?

Audi is either paralyzed with fear or haughty with misplaced pride. This new paper airplane fold hyperconservative shape language they have adopted is, IMO, a failure. They managed to ruin the R8 for fuck's sake. Like I've been saying people shopping in these segments want style as they see it. Its not the 70s or 80s where u could sell a plain jane German car for tons of money. VW and Audi's design languages are awful at the moment. BMW is not far behind. MB is not for everybody but at least they have some semblance of character. Etc. Thats what people want and what makes sense to do.

2o6

Quote from: MrH on June 29, 2015, 10:00:22 AM

How you guys can beat off to that Alfa and some lame Skodas, but hate on this, I'll never understand.

I don't hate it, it just looks like the old car.

It wouldn't earn any of my $$$.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: 2o6 on June 29, 2015, 11:46:28 AM

Rite. What is the rationale for buying a new B9 over a used B8? You can make a pretty strong case for most cars in the segment.

ifcar

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 29, 2015, 12:08:50 PM
Rite. What is the rationale for buying a new B9 over a used B8? You can make a pretty strong case for most cars in the segment.

There's a lot more upgraded than looks, I'm sure. Besides, many people would buy new over used anyway even without a redesign.

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 29, 2015, 11:42:16 AM
Lol, fact is you are confusing your opinion as fact. Fact is, this all new A4 looks like a light refresh of the nearly 10 yr old B8. Fact is, consensus in the automotive world is that the B8 wasnt an ugly car, but hardly some kind of beautiful classic worth preserving for 2 decades. And since when do we agree here on anything? Can u name a car released in the last 12 months we have all reached some kind of consensus on?

Audi is either paralyzed with fear or haughty with misplaced pride. This new paper airplane fold hyperconservative shape language they have adopted is, IMO, a failure. They managed to ruin the R8 for fuck's sake. Like I've been saying people shopping in these segments want style as they see it. Its not the 70s or 80s where u could sell a plain jane German car for tons of money. VW and Audi's design languages are awful at the moment. BMW is not far behind. MB is not for everybody but at least they have some semblance of character. Etc. Thats what people want and what makes sense to do.

You claim I'm confusing opinion as fact, and then the rest of your post is opinion paraded as fact. Come on, dude.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: 2o6 on June 29, 2015, 11:46:28 AM

Yeah, good looking is so early 2000s. Let's make more bulbous and hideous cars that look like Chinese ripoffs of themselves!

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  on June 29, 2015, 02:30:32 PM
Yeah, good looking is so early 2000s. Let's make more bulbous and hideous cars that look like Chinese ripoffs of themselves!
Audi's newest cars are all less attractive than the previous generation.  Audi's newest styling is definitely a big step backwards. The new R8 is actually hideous, and the old R8 was at the top of my list of dream cars.

ifcar

I like the current Audis more than their predecessors, except the new R8 and TT. A mix of angular styling cues and a reluctance to change the cars' overall shape just results in a wretched mishmash in those cases.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on June 29, 2015, 02:29:28 PM
You claim I'm confusing opinion as fact, and then the rest of your post is opinion paraded as fact. Come on, dude.
B9 design sucks dude. That's a fact :ohyeah:

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT666 on June 29, 2015, 11:22:24 AM
An electric supercharger?  It's going to require at least 50 hp electric motor to turn that thing.

In short it would keep the intake tract pressurized before the turbos come on boost and once they do it would then disengage (so relatively small power draw).

2o6

Quote from: Raza  on June 29, 2015, 02:30:32 PM

It's lazy, don't present a false dichotomy that everything new needs to be bad.

This looks the same as the car introduced in 2008.

MX793

Quote from: SVT666 on June 29, 2015, 11:22:24 AM

Not really.  It would just be there to supplement the turbos and eliminate lag at lower RPMs (and then shut off once the turbos are spooled up).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

SVT666

Quote from: MX793 on June 29, 2015, 03:16:00 PM
Not really.  It would just be there to supplement the turbos and eliminate lag at lower RPMs (and then shut off once the turbos are spooled up).
Seems like an awful lot of complexity.

giant_mtb

I think it looks great.  Is it new and exciting and totally different?  No, but it still remains a great looking vehicle in my book.

GoCougs

Cars are ultimately marching down the same "integrated technology" path as other retail devices. Used to be that phones, stereos, TVs, PCs, etc., were designed to be repaired/upgraded to serve relatively long lives, which was enabled by relatively simple technology and manufacturing. Now stuff is advanced - an iPhone can't be designed to be materially repairable or upgradeable and maintain its current form, function and price level.

MX793

Quote from: SVT666 on June 29, 2015, 04:22:10 PM
Seems like an awful lot of complexity.

Engines have used combined superchargers and turbochargers to offset turbo lag in the past.  VW had their "Twin Charged" motors in the early 2000s.  It was used on diesel engines decades ago.  Making it electric eliminates the parasitic losses when the engine is running at higher RPMs and the SC isn't needed (like electro-hydraulic power steering), though does add a certain degree of complexity what with a motor and controller.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Payman

It's okay, and I like the interior. Not a car I'd aspire to own though.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: ifcar on June 29, 2015, 02:46:54 PM
I like the current Audis more than their predecessors, except the new R8 and TT. A mix of angular styling cues and a reluctance to change the cars' overall shape just results in a wretched mishmash in those cases.

Quote from: SVT666 on June 29, 2015, 02:37:12 PM
Audi's newest cars are all less attractive than the previous generation.  Audi's newest styling is definitely a big step backwards. The new R8 is actually hideous, and the old R8 was at the top of my list of dream cars.

Obviously I am somewhat biased, but the B8 was a strong step forward in design for Audi. While the surface details didn't change THAT much from the B7, what they did do was push the front axle forward, thereby reducing the front overhang significantly AND improving front/back weight distribution. Still not as good as BMW mind you, but it was still a significant improvement.

With the B9 it looks like they incrementally improved some surface details but the overhangs are getting longer which, IMHO, is a step backwards.

Raza

Quote from: SJ_GTI on June 30, 2015, 05:55:31 AM
Obviously I am somewhat biased, but the B8 was a strong step forward in design for Audi. While the surface details didn't change THAT much from the B7, what they did do was push the front axle forward, thereby reducing the front overhang significantly AND improving front/back weight distribution. Still not as good as BMW mind you, but it was still a significant improvement.

With the B9 it looks like they incrementally improved some surface details but the overhangs are getting longer which, IMHO, is a step backwards.

The B8 is one of the best looking cars in the history of the class.  It was always going to be difficult to follow up. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

It obviously is very evolutionary but I like it. And especially like the power bump. Also, note that Lexus is upgrading the base engine in the IS...to the turbocharged unit in the NX200t. I think the talk of the segment being less interesting or whatever is fairly ridiculous. The cars are better than ever. Yes, they are getting bigger...which is exactly why BMW, Audi, and Mercedes have all launched smaller models recently. I hope the ATS gets upgraded power (and CUE) soon. Then it becomes a very interesting choice for me, between the C, the A4, and the ATS.

Especially the interior. I never liked the design language seen in the current model.

12,000 RPM

The cars are objectively better, but somehow they just don't capture the imagination.

I think a big part of that is the lack of upgrades on the top of the line engines. 335i has basically just lost a turbo over the last 9 yrs. IS350's engine is over 10 yrs old. Pretty sure the ATS 3.6 is over 10 yrs old. Q50's engine is technically 21 yrs old this year. S4 engine is 8 yrs old. Etc etc. Yea the base engines are great. But Ill be damned if I buy a 50K car to get a damn 4 banger. And it's tough to justify the 6 when I can get the same exact engine in a RWD car half, 1/4, 1/5 the price, that will not be much less reliable if at all over the length of what would be a lease.

Then on the other side you get into the issues of where to even deploy that performance on the road. The segment is in a weird place where it doesnt make much sense to go further. And the used market has such awesome deals. Its not like 10 yrs ago, where if you wanted 335i performance, you had to buy a 335i... there were no used equivalents. Now its like, what does a new 3/I/Q/A4 etc get me that an old one doesn't?

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

GoCougs

I've said it many times for a while and looks like I will be saying it for quite a while longer - this "entry lux" poser class I think is absolutely awful. There was a revolution ~8-10 years ago - IS350, G37, TL-SH AWD, 335i - but little has advanced since. Sure, the cars are "better" but they don't perform any better (particularly, the same engines mostly), are less exciting, and have lost manual transmissions (TL(X), Q50).

SVT666

Yup. Entry lux peaked 8 years ago. The cars are less exciting and not as engaging despite being better cars.

Payman

In this class/price range, I'd have the BMW 228i with 6 speed manual. If I could afford a little more, the M235i.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: GoCougs on June 30, 2015, 04:59:46 PM
I've said it many times for a while and looks like I will be saying it for quite a while longer - this "entry lux" poser class I think is absolutely awful. There was a revolution ~8-10 years ago - IS350, G37, TL-SH AWD, 335i - but little has advanced since. Sure, the cars are "better" but they don't perform any better (particularly, the same engines mostly), are less exciting, and have lost manual transmissions (TL(X), Q50).

I think the Jag XE and the Giulia may bring some fresh air into the segment.

At this point, the base cars in most "entry lux" lineup are the better buys. 328i > 335i for example (even 320i). Soon to be true with the Lexus turbo too IMO. Also, an A4 2.0T Quattro is probably nimbler than an S4 and more than fast enough.

Only the top end M, RS, V, etc *may* be worth it.

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Cookie Monster

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on June 30, 2015, 06:07:31 PM
I think the Jag XE and the Giulia may bring some fresh air into the segment.

At this point, the base cars in most "entry lux" lineup are the better buys. 328i > 335i for example (even 320i). Soon to be true with the Lexus turbo too IMO. Also, an A4 2.0T Quattro is probably nimbler than an S4 and more than fast enough.

Only the top end M, RS, V, etc *may* be worth it.

As nice as the Guilia is, I get the feeling it won't be a true top dog competitor. I think it'll probably be priced out of most of the segment and it doesn't carry the same name recognition that BMW and Mercedes does to the average person.

Quote from: GoCougs on June 30, 2015, 04:59:46 PM

Yep, I agree. I think maybe the C-Class is the only one that stands out in the bunch, because it is the most polarizing design out there (at least till the Guilia gets here).
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

12,000 RPM

What do you guys think it would take to generate excitement among enthusiasts for cars in this segment again?