Is this site/business legit?

Started by Payman, July 01, 2015, 10:30:49 AM

Payman

Seems like a good project source, but I'm getting a sketchy vibe...

http://autosource.biz/Ad/1965_Corvette.htm

Payman

New body and parts from FFR would be less than $5000 to rebuild this... they're asking just $5100 for it. Seems to good to be true.

giant_mtb

Looks like they have a lot of vehicles. 

Payman

Quote from: giant_mtb on July 01, 2015, 11:28:11 AM
Looks like they have a lot of vehicles. 

Yep. More than 20-30 C2 Corvettes that burned, flooded, or theft recovery? Why aren't these all at auction?

Payman

"1998 McLaren F1, bank repo, make offer".   :wtf:

Damn... I hoped it was a legitimate site.  :(

Byteme

One potential problem immediately comes to mind.  SALVAGE TITLE.  It looks like these are cars the insurance companies decided to total instead of repairing.  It's probably good to check with your insurance company to see if they will insure it.  My understanding is some won't.  A salvage title also limits your ability to get your money out of the car should you want to resell it.

Personally in many instances I'd have no issues with driving a car with a salvage title, depending of what events actually totaled the car in the first place.  For example an E-type that was totaled because of flood damage can probably be put back on the road in a number 2 condition (near concours) with nio safey issues for around $40,000 + personal labor valued at $0.00 per hour.

I've seen their ads while looking for an E-type.  I never pursued it beyond looking on the internet.

Payman

Salvage title isn't an issue. In fact, it makes it more appealing to me because I can import the car as "parts". A good friend of mine built a Jeep from the ground up with parts from 3 other Jeeps, none with titles, and having a new title created for it was easy. You just need to have the finished vehicle inspected, appraised and insured, and the DOT will issue you new paperwork.

2o6

Quote from: Rockraven on July 01, 2015, 11:57:29 AM
"1998 McLaren F1, bank repo, make offer".   :wtf:

Damn... I hoped it was a legitimate site.  :(

Maybe it is and you're missing the deal of a lifetime

Or it's a rebodied Tiburon

Byteme

Quote from: Rockraven on July 01, 2015, 03:11:39 PM
Salvage title isn't an issue. In fact, it makes it more appealing to me because I can import the car as "parts". A good friend of mine built a Jeep from the ground up with parts from 3 other Jeeps, none with titles, and having a new title created for it was easy. You just need to have the finished vehicle inspected, appraised and insured, and the DOT will issue you new paperwork.

One might be better off starting with no title instead of a salvage title.  I'd suspect one could go from no title, just a bill of sale, to a clean, normal title.

In this state you have to prove ownership of the vehicle and all parts that went into rebuilding it.  It gets inspected and you wind up with a title marked "Rebuilt"    ,

MX793

Two of my cousins bought salvage cars at auction (flood cars with very minor damage), fixed them up and got new, clean titles issued.  There are a few hoops to jump through but it's doable.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Byteme

Quote from: MX793 on July 02, 2015, 04:39:14 AM
Two of my cousins bought salvage cars at auction (flood cars with very minor damage), fixed them up and got new, clean titles issued.  There are a few hoops to jump through but it's doable.

As per my example, what kind of title you wind up with depends on the state.  I'm not arguing with you, just pointing out potential pitfalls

Soup DeVille

In Michigan, a project like the Jeep mentioned would likely get an "assembled" title. Cars over 20 years old may get a new, clean title if no title to it can be located in records and if ownership can be documented.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Submariner

I wonder how much it would cost to build a knock-off F1 as close to the original as possible?  From the exact dimensions to the interior to a (relatively) similar engine to handling characteristics, speed, etc.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Submariner on July 02, 2015, 04:13:01 PM
I wonder how much it would cost to build a knock-off F1 as close to the original as possible?  From the exact dimensions to the interior to a (relatively) similar engine to handling characteristics, speed, etc.
The gold foil alone would make this infeasible. The F1 was and remains something truly special.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Payman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 03, 2015, 06:51:57 AM
The gold foil alone would make this infeasible. The F1 was and remains something truly special.

Use aluminum foil.

Submariner

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 03, 2015, 06:51:57 AM

I'm not suggesting building an exact replica (i.e. down to the last minute detail) but rather one that closely replicates the looks and performance of the original.

In other words, you're not going to find the exact 6.1 V12 as is found in the original, but maybe you could stroke a modern BMW V12 and mod it to produce similar power figures.  Or maybe you could skip the V12 all together and opt for a lighter F/I V8.  Things like that.  More than a kit car, but certainly not an exact replica of the original. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550