Edmunds.com buys a Yugo

Started by ifcar, July 03, 2015, 11:53:35 AM

ifcar

Naturally, they started by taking it on a 900-mile road trip through the desert. It even makes it!

http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/features/1989-yugo-gvl-long-term-road-test-introduction.html

Soup DeVille

If i had a few extra thousand laying around, and if I already had three decent cars in the garage, i always thought itd be fun to have a Yugo, just for kicks.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MX793

Maybe a dozen years ago, I saw one in the local classifieds that was in running/driving condition for <$1000.  If I hadn't been a poor college student still living at home, I probably would have bought it just to say I'd owned one.

A guy I work with apparently owned one (while he was employed at Chrysler).  He actually speaks fairly highly of it.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

cawimmer430

They bought this thing for $ 950?

RIP-OFF, anyone?
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Payman

We never got the Yugo up here, but for some reason we got the Hyundai Pony (1984-88), Skoda Rapide (1985-87), and the entire Lada lineup. All were egregious shitboxes that never lived past their loan terms.

Rich

They bought it in Boise of all places, but there are some oddball cars there, for being in the middle of nowhere.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

2o6

Lol, a running Yugo for $950.

Payman

Quote from: 2o6 on July 04, 2015, 07:30:16 AM
Lol, a running Yugo for $950.

The only downside would be sourcing parts for it... something you'll be doing a lot.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Rockraven on July 04, 2015, 08:32:07 AM
The only downside would be sourcing parts for it... something you'll be doing a lot.

No problem. Go to Eastern Europe, especially the Balkans - lots of running Yugos and spare parts there!  :ohyeah:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Raza

Quote from: cawimmer430 on July 04, 2015, 11:42:56 AM
No problem. Go to Eastern Europe, especially the Balkans - lots of running Yugos and spare parts there!  :ohyeah:

Shipping would cost more than the car.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Raza  on July 04, 2015, 03:37:55 PM

For the car enthusiast who buys a Yugo that shouldn't matter.  :praise:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Raza  on July 04, 2015, 03:37:55 PM

Lookin into it, it doesn't seem that bad at all. They might not have been the most reliable cars, but they were simple, and not many parts actually failed commonly on them.

Compared to what he parts situation would be for my dream car, an Alfa GTV6, or for some of the things Ive tracked down parts for for my dad, it looks like a piece of cake to keep running.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

cawimmer430

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 05, 2015, 10:49:28 AM
Compared to what he parts situation would be for my dream car, an Alfa GTV6, or for some of the things Ive tracked down parts for for my dad, it looks like a piece of cake to keep running.

Apparently Italian car firms are notorious for their poor spare parts situation, especially in regards to older cars.

The chief editor of Auto Classic Magazine that I regularly work with has a Fiat Barchetta like the one pictured below. Recently there appeared an article in the magazine that mentioned that you can't get spare parts for this particular model from Fiat anymore - and the Barchetta is a car made from the mid-1990s to the early-2000s!!!

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Soup DeVille

Quote from: cawimmer430 on July 05, 2015, 01:13:26 PM
Apparently Italian car firms are notorious for their poor spare parts situation, especially in regards to older cars.

The chief editor of Auto Classic Magazine that I regularly work with has a Fiat Barchetta like the one pictured below. Recently there appeared an article in the magazine that mentioned that you can't get spare parts for this particular model from Fiat anymore - and the Barchetta is a car made from the mid-1990s to the early-2000s!!!

General practice is that the automaker supplies parts for ten years after the car is made; but that doesn't mean thy have to have the parts on hand for immediate delivery, or that they have to be made in sufficient numbers.

And if the automaker has no ready buyer for the spare parts stock at he end of the run, they might just scrap them.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 05, 2015, 05:55:26 PM
General practice is that the automaker supplies parts for ten years after the car is made; but that doesn't mean thy have to have the parts on hand for immediate delivery, or that they have to be made in sufficient numbers.

And if the automaker has no ready buyer for the spare parts stock at he end of the run, they might just scrap them.

The problem is that with the Barchetta (and other Fiats of the time) you won't be able to get any standard spare parts from Fiat. This includes wear and tear systems such as brakes, suspension parts etc. It's really mind-blowing when you think about it. You can literally get any spare part that you need for your German car - with the exception of Opel. Do you have a Mercedes' from the 1950s? Need a spare part? No problem, Mercedes has it for you. But Fiat can't deliver spare parts for a car whose production ended in 2005?

This article focused on virtually all Italian mainstream brands and a few exotics (Maserati mainly). The bottom line was that you can't expect help from Alfa Romeo, Autobianchi, Fiat, Lancia and Maserati in terms of spare parts. If you require spare parts you essentially need to join a club dedicated to your car. They can help with spare parts. I'd scan and post it here, but it's in German.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Soup DeVille

Quote from: cawimmer430 on July 06, 2015, 02:50:57 AM
The problem is that with the Barchetta (and other Fiats of the time) you won't be able to get any standard spare parts from Fiat. This includes wear and tear systems such as brakes, suspension parts etc. It's really mind-blowing when you think about it. You can literally get any spare part that you need for your German car - with the exception of Opel. Do you have a Mercedes' from the 1950s? Need a spare part? No problem, Mercedes has it for you. But Fiat can't deliver spare parts for a car whose production ended in 2005?

This article focused on virtually all Italian mainstream brands and a few exotics (Maserati mainly). The bottom line was that you can't expect help from Alfa Romeo, Autobianchi, Fiat, Lancia and Maserati in terms of spare parts. If you require spare parts you essentially need to join a club dedicated to your car. They can help with spare parts. I'd scan and post it here, but it's in German.

Well, I might be able to read about half of it.

Anyways, lack of automaker support isn't a deal breaker; and in general i wouldn't buy new parts from the deer for an older car unless i had no other choice. Used and rebuilt/re manufactured parts, or even NOS parts can usually be found from other sources.

I understand the TUV might frown on such practices over there, but in the US we save such anal retentiveness for airplanes.

shp4man

There was a Jay Leno's Garage that confirmed the availability of old Mercedes parts. They AIN'T cheap, though.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 06, 2015, 03:08:09 AM
Well, I might be able to read about half of it.

Anyways, lack of automaker support isn't a deal breaker; and in general i wouldn't buy new parts from the deer for an older car unless i had no other choice. Used and rebuilt/re manufactured parts, or even NOS parts can usually be found from other sources.

I understand the TUV might frown on such practices over there, but in the US we save such anal retentiveness for airplanes.

I'll scan it ASAP.  :ohyeah:

The TÜV "isn't that strict" if it allows crappy Chinese tires and automotive parts in Germany.  :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: shp4man on July 06, 2015, 02:03:35 PM
There was a Jay Leno's Garage that confirmed the availability of old Mercedes parts. They AIN'T cheap, though.

Yep, but they're ORIGINAL and will help keep the car working properly. They're expensive, but if I owned a classic Mercedes' I'd definitely want original parts in it.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Soup DeVille

Quote from: cawimmer430 on July 07, 2015, 04:56:15 AM
Yep, but they're ORIGINAL and will help keep the car working properly. They're expensive, but if I owned a classic Mercedes' I'd definitely want original parts in it.

Reman and used parts are original too!

MX793

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 07, 2015, 05:26:08 AM
Reman and used parts are original too!

I'd argue more original than a brand new part built to the original specs.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on July 07, 2015, 05:32:18 AM
I'd argue more original than a brand new part built to the original specs.

Except for rubber stuff; always try to find new parts ( and not NOS) for things like CV boots.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 07, 2015, 05:45:22 AM
Except for rubber stuff; always try to find new parts ( and not NOS) for things like CV boots.

Unless you're a Corvette FOG. Then you buy dry rotted original tires for $3000.

Soup DeVille

Do they come with a free straw hat?

JWC

I used to have a customer who owned two Yugos. He loved them. They never broken down, but you did have to start one of them with a screwdriver. He conveniently provided the screwdriver.