Baby Rolls Royce Confirmed!

Started by BMWDave, May 17, 2005, 07:49:47 PM

BMWDave

Baby Rolls Get Green Light

It's official! Rolls-Royce has confirmed it's set to raid the history books to create an all-new baby model - and a roadster could be on the cards as well.

Top brass admitted to Auto Express for the first time that they have ordered engineers and designers to create an all-new model smaller than the Phantom. This is the so-called 'baby Rolls', and a story we exclusively revealed in issue 852.

According to company insiders, the target price for the newcomer is ?170,000 - that's more than first thought, and would pitch the car head-to-head with arch rival Bentley's Arnage, rather than the ?115,000 Flying Spur. The Phantom costs ?250,000. But it's the news of a two-seater that will have R-R fans drooling at the mouth.

Chief executive Ian Robertson told us that his team would be reaching into the archives for future models. "There is very little in the history of Rolls-Royce that the company hasn't attempted at some stage," he explained. "For example, there have been some outstanding roadsters in the past. There is nothing off-limits."

But Robertson warned he would think very carefully before giving new cars the green light. "We have many ideas and there are plenty of options," he continued. "We want to remain true to our heritage and brand quality but broaden the limits." Cars also believed to be under consideration include an off-roader, along with hydrogen-powered versions of all models.

Robertson added that he was keen to work with customers to create more individual cars, even if they could be seen as dubious compared with R-R's traditional image. "One man's taste is another man's concern," he said. "We produced a model recently for a New York customer in a pale shade of pink. Another asked for a big letter P to be painted on the side of the car."
Paul Bailey

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Fire It Up

I wonder how it will look...

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

BMWDave

QuoteI wonder how it will look...
I'm sure it will be nice

2007 Honda S2000

Fire It Up

I'm sure it will be nice
and blocky?

BMWDave

I'm sure it will be nice
and blocky?
I'm not sure-this is a coupe, so it may be a different styling direction for Rolls Royce

2007 Honda S2000

Fire It Up

I'm sure it will be nice
and blocky?
I'm not sure-this is a coupe, so it may be a different styling direction for Rolls Royce
Hopefully.

BMWDave

I'm sure it will be nice
and blocky?
Hopefully.
I actually like the current styling a lot...very imposing, and very Rolls, if you know what I mean.  It stays true to its heritage.

2007 Honda S2000

Fire It Up

I'm sure it will be nice
and blocky?
Hopefully.
I actually like the current styling a lot...very imposing, and very Rolls, if you know what I mean.  It stays true to its heritage.
Yeah, but coupes arent supposed to look like expenisve blocks.

BMWDave

I'm sure it will be nice
and blocky?
Hopefully.
True...I hope this is a nice design that isnt a block but yet stays true to RR's heritage.

2007 Honda S2000

giant_mtb

I'm sure it will be nice
and blocky?
Hopefully.
True...I hope this is a nice design that isnt a block but yet stays true to RR's heritage.
Should look great...and interesting as well. ^_^

Raghavan

An armored Matchbox car...

TBR

Why is it they think a RR coupe will compete with the Bentley Arnage which is quite clearly a sedan?

Raghavan

make it cheaper to compete with the Continental GT. coupe to coupe competition. makes more sense.

TBR

Quotemake it cheaper to compete with the Continental GT. coupe to coupe competition. makes more sense.
Actually, that doesn't make as much sense. Pricing this car above the Continental GT, which is its most obvious competitor, will increase its snob factor resulting in more sales (at this point does money really matter?). My problem is with idiot auto writers making stupid comments.  

Raghavan

Quotemake it cheaper to compete with the Continental GT. coupe to coupe competition. makes more sense.
Actually, that doesn't make as much sense. Pricing this car above the Continental GT, which is its most obvious competitor, will increase its snob factor resulting in more sales (at this point does money really matter?). My problem is with idiot auto writers making stupid comments.
ok, you're right. People who can afford these cars will most likely pay extra for the snob factor. :rolleyes:  

TBR

ok, you're right. People who can afford these cars will most likely pay extra for the snob factor. :rolleyes:
Was that roll eyes meant for me or the people that spend 150k+ on cars?  

Raghavan

the snobby rich people. ;)  

TBR

That is what I thought, I was just making sure :D

Raghavan

That is what I thought, I was just making sure :D
:)  

Raza

Thank you.  Another perversion of a historic British marque.  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raghavan

QuoteThank you.  Another perversion of a historic British marque.
why? sounds like a good idea.