REVIEW: 2013 (maybe) Beetle Convertible

Started by Tave, July 22, 2015, 08:29:52 PM

Tave

The Black Tornedo needed a service, updated emission code, inspection, and a brake check, so I took it to my local dealer and requested a loaner for the day:

"We don't have another Jetta."

"I don't care my man I'll ride a pink moped, hit me with your best shot."

"Is a Beetle alright?"

"Giddyup."

He pulls around and my jaw hits the floor. Dude what are you trying to do to me? I have to drive this to work. Had I known it was a 'vert, I might have asked for another model. Shocked but pressed for time, I shrug and dive in, and the first part of the car that strikes me are the seats. The material is much softer if less-durable-seeming than my Vtex, with better cushing and a nicer design. Well this is kinda nice. Finally in, my eyes scan upward, noticing all the familiar bits'o'trim shared with the sister models. Then my vision pulls back and the sight horrifies me.

A fair portion of the interior body panels are covered in not-quite-metal/plastic/space shuttle armor. It looks like VW started with a 1950s steel cabin and ripped all the fabric off the walls. The ambiance resembles a submarine, with dark aqua accents wrapped around the cockpit. It's only for a day. I shake my head and pull off, incidentally, it comes with push-button start. The system works well,  although I didn't have time to acclimate and spent an inordinate amount of time stuffing the fob back into my pocket after I sat down.

Anyway, the road lies ahead and it scoots off. With the terbow engine and 6-speed, acceleration is adequate for what you have. At the first stoplight, I take the opportunity to power back the ragtop. Now this system is really slick. For awhile. A moment of panic strikes when it doesn't fully retract back into the rear structure, but remember that's the look VW wants. Whatever. I tell myself other drivers and pedestrians will chalk my blushing to the heat, and head to work.

The ride is a bit flatter and heavier than the Jetta, and more prone to upset when the back wheels strike a bump. Steering is about the same as my car but I like my wheel more. The manual function on the auto works well; however, no flappy paddles here so you toggle the center stalk.

I vacillate between extreme feelings of shame and exhilaration at the fresh air, marveling at all the views excepting the frame directly in front, which the cowl largely obstructs. I hunch down, whether to hide from the world or see the traffic light, I'm not quite sure, but eventually make it to work safe and sound.

Mercifully, the Tornado was returned by 1 o'clock, with the Estro-bin clocking a roundtrip to the dealer and a couple runs to the courthouse. It does the job, and I guess if you have two and only two requirements--cute and a convertible--I can imagine a reality where someone talks herself into it, but I would never buy it for me. Good riddance.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

ifcar

Haha, a Beetle convertible is so different from a Beetle hatch?

Tave

Yes, by the virtue of everyone seeing you tut-tutt down the road.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

AutobahnSHO

LOLS

I saw 4 Soldiers riding in one with the top down. Very cute, as they were all d00ds  :lol:
Will

ifcar

Quote from: Tave on July 23, 2015, 05:18:11 AM
Yes, by the virtue of everyone seeing you tut-tutt down the road.

There is a cloaking feature where you can put the top up.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on July 23, 2015, 06:26:22 AM
LOLS

I saw 4 Soldiers riding in one with the top down. Very cute, as they were all d00ds  :lol:

Don't ask, don't tell.

Tave

Quote from: ifcar on July 23, 2015, 07:08:47 AM
There is a cloaking feature where you can put the top up.

I may not be a man of (good) principles, but I'll be damned if I'm going to drive a convertible around with the top up on a warm, sunny day in July.