Question for Catman

Started by MX793, December 14, 2005, 01:52:36 PM

MX793

I was reading through the seatbelt topic and Catman mentioned how he unbuckles his seatbelt shortly before arriving at a destination so that he's sure his gunbelt doesn't get snagged and it made me think of this.

I've noticed that most police officers wear their guns at waist level.  I've always felt that drawing a gun from that high on your hip is a little awkward (unless you are "cross-drawing", where the weapon is kept on the hip opposite of your shooting hand and you reach across to draw).  Are uniformed officers required to carry their weapons like that or may an officer holster his weapon differently?  I've generally felt that carrying the weapon lower, more on the thigh, makes it easier to draw more quickly.  It also seems like the weapon would be less likely to get snagged in seatbelts and such.  I know SWAT tends to carry their pistols down on their thighs rather than on up on their hip, I'm curious as to why regular officers don't also do this.  
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Run Away

You mean like how chicks wear them concealed in the movies?:P

Lazerous

QuoteYou mean like how chicks wear them concealed in the movies?:P
lol, thats the image implanted in my head also, when I was reading this post, I kept on picturing the "Mr and Mrs Smith" movie poster, with angelina jolie wearing a "cut" skirt showing a pistol on her thigh, not a bad picture at all if you ask me :P
So yeah, I belive it would look kind awkward for a very "healthy" cop to have his gun holster around his thighs, but on the other hand I would also assume that it is easier to pull out if it were in that area

MX793

:D

Not inner thigh, a tactical thigh holster like what the guys on SWAT teams and what many competition shooters use.  Gunslingers in the wild west also favored carrying their guns low slung.

something like this
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Run Away

lol, thats the image implanted in my head also, when I was reading this post, I kept on picturing the "Mr and Mrs Smith" movie poster, with angelina jolie wearing a "cut" skirt showing a pistol on her thigh, not a bad picture at all if you ask me :P
So yeah, I belive it would look kind awkward for a very "healthy" cop to have his gun holster around his thighs, but on the other hand I would also assume that it is easier to pull out if it were in that area
That's the exact same image I had, the Mr & Mrs Smith poster. :lol:
Good movie. B)

MX: That image you posted looks pretty damn cool. I wonder what it would feel like when running though?

Catman

If it were lower it would be much more difficult to sit.  Low ride holsters sit too low when sitting.  A mid or high ride holster will not protrude into the seat when you sit down.  As far as the tactical holsters (thigh height) they're not good for sitting in the car either since the side of your leg rests on the center console.

MX793

QuoteIf it were lower it would be much more difficult to sit.  Low ride holsters sit too low when sitting.  A mid or high ride holster will not protrude into the seat when you sit down.  As far as the tactical holsters (thigh height) they're not good for sitting in the car either since the side of your leg rests on the center console.
Well, I can understand how lower hip holsters would be a problem when sitting.  I guess I didn't consider the center console for the thigh holster.  I'd blame it on my being a lefty, but I shoot right handed (my right eye is stronger than my left) so I'd tend to keep a gun on my right.

What about wearing your gun high on your left side so that you have to cross-draw?

I suppose what I'm really wondering is just if there is some kind of rule stating how the gun is carried on the belt or if officers just all wear their guns high because that's what works best.
Needs more Jiggawatts

sparkplug

It may help to add that in the old west, the cowboys rode horses, so it was probably beneficial to have the holster a little lower. They rode with their legs spead so the gun wasn't too far away. Imagine riding a horse and hitting the weapon with your elbow on the not so funny bone. It's just an observation.  

Catman

QuoteIf it were lower it would be much more difficult to sit.  Low ride holsters sit too low when sitting.  A mid or high ride holster will not protrude into the seat when you sit down.  As far as the tactical holsters (thigh height) they're not good for sitting in the car either since the side of your leg rests on the center console.
Well, I can understand how lower hip holsters would be a problem when sitting.  I guess I didn't consider the center console for the thigh holster.  I'd blame it on my being a lefty, but I shoot right handed (my right eye is stronger than my left) so I'd tend to keep a gun on my right.

What about wearing your gun high on your left side so that you have to cross-draw?

I suppose what I'm really wondering is just if there is some kind of rule stating how the gun is carried on the belt or if officers just all wear their guns high because that's what works best.
A cross draw is totally impractical.  Having to reach across your body for anything is not good.  Having the gun pointing backwards as it clears the holster doesn't sound to efficient.

MX793

QuoteIf it were lower it would be much more difficult to sit.  Low ride holsters sit too low when sitting.  A mid or high ride holster will not protrude into the seat when you sit down.  As far as the tactical holsters (thigh height) they're not good for sitting in the car either since the side of your leg rests on the center console.

A cross draw is totally impractical.  Having to reach across your body for anything is not good.  Having the gun pointing backwards as it clears the holster doesn't sound to efficient.
Doesn't seem like a cross draw would be significantly different than drawing from a shoulder sling holster (or under-arm holster or whatever they are called) aside from the gun being a little lower.  But you'd know better than me since you actually carry a weapon daily and I never have.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Raza

Why not a separate gun belt like cowboys did?  That rocks.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MX793

QuoteWhy not a separate gun belt like cowboys did?  That rocks.
I believe the gun belt is seperate.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Catman

QuoteWhy not a separate gun belt like cowboys did?  That rocks.
We actually do wear two belts.  A "trouser" belt and the gun belt on top.  They're secured together with either velcro or "keepers".

ciciusss

QuoteIf it were lower it would be much more difficult to sit.? Low ride holsters sit too low when sitting.? A mid or high ride holster will not protrude into the seat when you sit down.? As far as the tactical holsters (thigh height) they're not good for sitting in the car either since the side of your leg rests on the center console.

Catman,

Agreed. Also you could add a couple other reasons why you should not wear a shoulder rig. One is weapon retention is more difficult as compared to a firearm carried on your waist and secondly is in a high stressed situation that requires an officer or agent to draw his weapon, they are most likely going to revert to their training. That means they will go to their waist to draw the gun because, that is how every law enforcement agency trains. Unfortunately, reaching first for the weapon on your waist and then realizing you have a shoulder rig on would not be a good thing. The shoulder rig only advantage, besides looking cool, is that it is more comfortable.

Catman

QuoteIf it were lower it would be much more difficult to sit.? Low ride holsters sit too low when sitting.? A mid or high ride holster will not protrude into the seat when you sit down.? As far as the tactical holsters (thigh height) they're not good for sitting in the car either since the side of your leg rests on the center console.

Catman,

Agreed. Also you could add a couple other reasons why you should not where a shoulder rig. One is weapon retention is more difficult as compared to a firearm carried on your waist and secondly is in a high stressed situation that requires an officer or agent to draw his weapon, they are most likely going to revert to their training. That means they will go to their waist to draw the gun because, that is how every law enforcement agency trains. Unfortunately, reaching first for the weapon on your waist and then realizing you have a shoulder rig on would not be a good thing. The shoulder rig only advantage, besides looking cool, is that it is more comfortable.
Good points Training Meister ;)   Retention would be a big problem with a cross draw and a shoulder rig.  You're basically putting the weapon at the perfect angle for the bad guy to grab. :blink:  Not to mention the lack of a solid anchor for the holster which would certainly contribute to a poor draw.

ciciusss

Catman,

Agreed. Also you could add a couple other reasons why you should not where a shoulder rig. One is weapon retention is more difficult as compared to a firearm carried on your waist and secondly is in a high stressed situation that requires an officer or agent to draw his weapon, they are most likely going to revert to their training. That means they will go to their waist to draw the gun because, that is how every law enforcement agency trains. Unfortunately, reaching first for the weapon on your waist and then realizing you have a shoulder rig on would not be a good thing. The shoulder rig only advantage, besides looking cool, is that it is more comfortable.
Good points Training Meister ;)   Retention would be a big problem with a cross draw and a shoulder rig.  You're basically putting the weapon at the perfect angle for the bad guy to grab. :blink:  Not to mention the lack of a solid anchor for the holster which would certainly contribute to a poor draw.
Catman,

Thanks, but you already knew that. By the way thanks for posting before I corrected my post by changing where to wear (what the heck was I thinking). :blink:  

Catman

Do that all the time dude.  It's not just because you're a federal boob. :D

BTW, Dodge really screwed up the roll out of their new cruisers this year.  They're way behind the 8 ball.  No one knows anything. :blink:  

ciciusss

QuoteDo that all the time dude.  It's not just because you're a federal boob. :D

BTW, Dodge really screwed up the roll out of their new cruisers this year.  They're way behind the 8 ball.  No one knows anything. :blink:
Catman,

Yeah, Dodge has dropped the ball with the rollout. By the way I'm not a total boob, I was a P.O. years ago before coming over to the dark side B)