Driven

Started by Raza , December 14, 2005, 05:05:26 PM

Raza

QuoteYour bother should learn stick...you never know when you might have to drive one
Yeah, I told him that.  But then, he keeps trying to convince me that I should just buy an automatic.  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Laconian

QuoteIt's not yours unless you actually pay for it.  When somebody else buys you something, they can always hold it over your head.  Never forget that, man.
It's true, I bet it would be even sweeter if he bought it himself.

But I'm sure a gratis GTO is plenty fun.

Spoiled bastard  :lol:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Lebowski

QuoteYour bother should learn stick...you never know when you might have to drive one
Yeah, I told him that.  But then, he keeps trying to convince me that I should just buy an automatic.
No, he should just learn to drive stick.

Raza

That's what I keep telling him.  

Him:  "What if you hurt your knee again and someone else needs to drive your car."
Me:  "Well, for one, I don't really live here anymore."
Him:  "But what if?"
Me:  "Everyone else in the family can drive stick.  Just not you."
Him:  "Oh."

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Lebowski

That's what I keep telling him.  

Him:  "What if you hurt your knee again and someone else needs to drive your car."
Me:  "Well, for one, I don't really live here anymore."
Him:  "But what if?"
Me:  "Everyone else in the family can drive stick.  Just not you."
Him:  "Oh."
How old is he?

When you get a stick, maybe that will give him an opportunity to learn.  I think a lot of people who don't know how overestimate how hard it is.  It really isn't hard at all (as you know).

Raza

He's 4 years older than I am.  I'll try, but I doubt he'll learn.  He has the ability to, but he really likes the effortlessness of an automatic.  He even likes the steering of the E320, which is really too light until you get going very, ver fast.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

850CSi

Everyone in my family drives stick, even my 16 year old sis (although she's only taken the ol' A4 down the street and back with my dad).

TBR

QuoteEveryone in my family drives stick, even my 16 year old sis (although she's only taken the ol' A4 down the street and back with my dad).
Technically everyone in my family can also drive a MT, but your sister's skills are probably more advanced than my brother's even though he has had a lot more experience. Every time I've ridden with him in the Subaru he has missed a couple of shifts and stalled a couple of times.

Raza

My experience with Subarus is that their clutches are a bit on the tricky side.  The WRX was very grabby, though they've improved, it takes a bit of time to get used to.  I've never missed a shift, though.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

850CSi

Does a quick shift to second resulting in tires squealing do anything to the transmission or engine? Or does it just decrease the tread faster on my expensive run-flats?

MrH

It depends on how it's done.  Are you letting up on the gas while shifting?  Are the revs dropping off to the proper place before you release the clutch again?

EDIT:  Actually, if you think about it, you're putting some wear and tear on both your clutch and your synchros.  The only way to get tire squel in second is to shift into second while the revs are above where they should be for that given speed, then dropping the clutch.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

850CSi

Just a high-RPM (not even redline) shift from first to second, simple as that, will result in tire squeal. Damn thing's pretty fast. Don't need to drop the clutch, but I guess it makes sense that it does put wear on the clutch.

MrH

There's no way to produce tire squel other than to have your engine spinning faster than the given speed for the next gear, shifting into that gear, then popping the clutch out.

That's if you're chirping your tires when you shift.  If you are shifting at redline, but doing it slow enough for the revs to drop down where they should be for second gear at that given speed, let out the clutch, then slam on the gas, and have enough power to chirp them, then no harm done except to the tires, but I doubt that's how you're doing it.  That takes a lot of power and self control.  :D  
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

SJ_GTI

If your tires squeal when you shift that means your transmission is spinning faster than your tires, which means you are not engaging the gear at the appropriate RPM. This does indeed add wear and tear to a clutch and synchros.

And I don't think its really just a "normal shift" from first to second that can get that reaction. I drove a 325i and 330i in the wet and niether car reacted as you describe. You have got to be revving the engine beyond "normal shifting" to get that reaction from a 3er.

Run Away

It just means you're hauling ass. You are putting wear on the drivetrain, due to the shock of things not spinning at the same speed being forced to match up.

Chirping the 1-2 shift is okay (if you're trying to shift fast, you can't expect the engine to drop the xxx rpm gap between 1st and 2nd in a split second shift), if you're chirping the 2-3 shift with a stock 3er you're not being smooth enough (engine doesn't make enough power to overpower the tires if you're not popping the clutch).
When I first got my car I'd chirp the 2-3 shift because I wasn't timing my clutch release properly, now I don't.

Raza

QuoteJust a high-RPM (not even redline) shift from first to second, simple as that, will result in tire squeal. Damn thing's pretty fast. Don't need to drop the clutch, but I guess it makes sense that it does put wear on the clutch.
You're letting the clutch out too quickly.  You chirp a 350Z's tires going into 2nd and sometimes 3rd, but only if you're really going at it.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

QuoteMy experience with Subarus is that their clutches are a bit on the tricky side.  The WRX was very grabby, though they've improved, it takes a bit of time to get used to.  I've never missed a shift, though.
The Outback's clutch and shifter do leave a lot to be desired, it is much harder to drive than that 15 year old Accord was.  

Raza

Yeah, they can take some time to get used to.  Far from the worst I've driven, but nowhere near the best.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i