Driven

Started by Raza , December 14, 2005, 05:05:26 PM

Raza

Okay, as you know, today I scheduled two test drives; the MX-5 and Legacy Spec B.  The Legacy Spec B had to be rescheduled, but I filled my time with something else.  First, the MX-5:

It's called True Red.  You wouldn't be wrong to call it true love instead.  The MX-5 sits strongly on the tarmac--it no longer looks like hairdresser's car.  In red, the car looks ferocious, but like real love, it is forbidden and heartbreaking, for I know that I won't have my license long with a car that vibrant.  

Get into the MX-5 and you'll notice something different; you're actually in the car, not sitting on top of it.  I've slammed the doors of the NB Miata in myself so often, that I contemplated sitting on the center console and then sliding back to my seat after closing the door.  Not in this car, though.  There's ample room.  The steering wheel tilts, in an effort to get you into a better driving position.  The interior of this car is now attractive and high quality--a distraction.

The engine doesn't come to life with a roar, no--it purrs like a satiated predatory cat.  Get comfortable, and then get moving.  Engaging reverse involves simply pushing down to enter the gear, but you need to give it a little gas to get the car on the move.

Roosevelt Boulevard was at its worst.  The sun was still out somewhat, giving me that pleasure, but at 25F, I wasn't going to put the top down and expose my passenger to that kind of cold.  However, traffic was absolute murder.  Stop and go indeed, except with more stopping, and less going.  

Finally, I pulled the car off of the Boulevard, and was able to get on the throttle.  Familiarizing myself with the responses of the car, I floored it, shifted, and felt the clean, crisp 6 speed manual slide through its gears without hesitation or resistance.  The clutch travel is short, the contact point is well defined.  This is why you can sit in rush hour traffic and never stall, even though you don't have that much torque to work with.  I felt like a professional, since I've had some problems before on the Roosevelt (I stalled the RX-8).  

Shooting down the onramp, I didn't let up until redline in every gear.  By the time there was highway under my tires, I was doing over 100mph.  In a Miata!  I thought these things were slow, but the 170bhp inline 4 proved ample in its power delivery, even allowing me to pass in fifth gear instead of downshifting to 4th, where I initially thought I needed to be.  The handling is phenomenal, but you already knew that.

It's not a Lotus Elise.  Let's get that out of the way.  The Lotus is mind boggling, and the MX-5 is not.  It's incredibly fun, though (if I use the Elise as the benchmark for every car, there will be no more fun cars), and it's such a surprising car.  I never thought driving an MX-5 in such harsh traffic would be that easy, I never thought I could be that comfortable, I never thought I could fall so head over heels for something that used to universally called a girl's car.  

This is a sports car.  Testosterone or not, the driver should be ready for a sports car.  This is possibly the quintessential roadster.  Not as hardcore as the Elise, but easier to live with.  This is a car you don't have to be insane to drive on an everyday basis (though it would help).  There are rumors of fitting your golf clubs in the trunk, but I don't honestly believe them.

The model I drove is a 2006 Grand Touring model with the suspension package and premium package 2, so, oddly enough, it was more expensive than the RX-8 I drove recently, thanks to aggressive pricing on the RX-8.  But I get why you love it so much, Greg, and you have my blessing if you decide to buy one.  

This is what I'm saying.  Everyone should trade their car in and get an MX-5.  Beg, plead, tie your wife up for a short while (the authorities will sympathize, you'll probably only get 6 months probation), turn in your keys and wallet, whatever you do, buy this car.  

Oh!  It's got keyless entry and start, like the Mercedes Keyless Go system (not push button, you have to turn something) and it's totally cool!

I also drove a 2006 Pontiac GTO 6 speed.  If there is anyone who thinks 50bhp doesn't make a difference, you're entirely wrong.  50bhp is what turned the GTO from a fast car into a monster.

When I got to the dealership, the salesman didn't mince words.  He got me into the Impulse Blue GTO right away.  I asked him if he wanted to drive it off the lot and he informed me that he wouldn't be accompanying me on this test drive, and that he'd be there until 9PM (I got there at 4:45PM).  

When you start this beast, it fires a missile out of the exhaust, or at least it sounds like it does.  The roar of the LS2 will frighten children, it will make women love you, it will make fathers lock up their daughters.  This is before you even get on the gas.

You can drive the GTO like it's a docile plaything, and it won't let on that it's not happy.  I took it to the mall and lumbered around, seeing what the 10-15mph manners were, and they were impeccable.  It's so incredibly civilized that if you keep your revs down, you'd even fool your own mother into thinking it's a Grand Am coupe.  But when you get your revs going, it's enough to kill elderly people standing near the car.  

You can't floor it in first gear.  Traction control will let you spin quite a bit, but you won't really get anywhere [DISCLAIMER: I left TCS on because there is still snow and ice on some roads, and I drove the car at night when I couldn't really see them].  But, get going, shift hard into second, and you'll feel the rear wheels become very happy.  Here's a small comparison:

A Nissan 350Z, a fast car, will chirp its rear tires going into 3rd gear under full throttle.
A Pontiac GTO will wag its tail going into 3rd gear under full throttle.  The rear end squirms and wants to break loose for a moment, then calms down and resumes forward thrust.

The handling of the GTO isn't at fault either.  It's not Elise precise, but it is very good, much better than early skidpad numbers would lead you to believe.  

While sitting on a hill, I felt it roll back a bit too much, got on the throttle a bit too much and let off the clutch a bit too fast, and spun the rear tires in place, and felt the back end move laterally.  There is so much bloody power in this car.  

I drove it in some snow, and it take some very careful footwork to get it through without incident.  It's no rally car, but it will suffice.

When I got done with it, I sat in the interior for a moment, catching my breath and letting my heart slow down.  I could really see myself in this car.  I really, really could.  Even in bumper to bumper traffic, the GTO wasn't hard to drive in any way.  You'd have to try to stall it, with that much torque.

Oh, and one note:  get driving shoes.  It makes all the difference.  I went from being okay at stick to being good at stick.

Tomorrow, I'm taking the GTO out again (this time Phantom Black) for a sunshine test drive, and on Friday I'm driving a C6 Corvette.  But, honestly, I think I found my car.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Fire It Up

Raza, you are a lucky bastard.

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

Tom

GTO it is?  

Raza

QuoteGTO it is?
I think so.  I really do.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

mazda6er

QuoteWhen I got to the dealership, the salesman didn't mince words. He got me into the Impulse Blue GTO right away. I asked him if he wanted to drive it off the lot and he informed me that he wouldn't be accompanying me on this test drive, and that he'd be there until 9PM (I got there at 4:45PM).

I guess being filthy rich will do that for you. I thought the salesman at the local Honda dealer was about to shit himself when I asked to drive an auto Accord...and I was with my parents...and he was in the passenger seat.  <_<  :lol:

Sweet. Now, Raza, if you can prove you know what GTO stands for, I'll let you buy it. No google allowed. And yes, I already know the answer.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

so cal cookie

giant_mtb

American Muscle :praise:

...in a Cavalier's skin. :P

BMWDave

Nice :rockon:

Just tell your parents your buying a Grand Am coupe, and they should have no problem letting you have this.

And btw, if your dad is still thinking about the Continental Flying Spur, he has my blessing.  I saw one up close and personal yesterday, and its without a doubt, one of the best looking sedans I've ever seen.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Raza

QuoteWhen I got to the dealership, the salesman didn't mince words. He got me into the Impulse Blue GTO right away. I asked him if he wanted to drive it off the lot and he informed me that he wouldn't be accompanying me on this test drive, and that he'd be there until 9PM (I got there at 4:45PM).

I guess being filthy rich will do that for you. I thought the salesman at the local Honda dealer was about to shit himself when I asked to drive an auto Accord...and I was with my parents...and he was in the passenger seat.  <_<  :lol:

Sweet. Now, Raza, if you can prove you know what GTO stands for, I'll let you buy it. No google allowed. And yes, I already know the answer.
Gran Turismo Omologato

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

mazda6er

Gran Turismo Omologato
Ok, have at it.  
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

Raza

Gran Turismo Omologato
Ok, have at it.
Who doesn't know that, ass?

Tell me what it means in English, and I'll let you live.

:D  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

giant_mtb

Gran Turismo Omologato
Ok, have at it.

I didn't know that.  <_<  Nor do I care all that much. ^_^

mazda6er

Gran Turismo Omologato
Ok, have at it.

hmmm, I may need to die then. omologato isn't in my Italian vocabulary. Translated separately as omolo and gato, it's basically homo-cat, :lol: but I'm sure that's not right. My best guess is worldwide.
--Mark

Laconian

Raza, have you asked the Phantom of his long-term impressions of the GTO? And dare I ask how much that thing will cost to insure?

Omologato means "homologated", which in racing terms means that the manufacturer must sell the car to the public in order for it to be eligible to compete.

so... Grand Touring class, Homogolated
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Lebowski

Ah, you succumbed to the temptation of the LS2.  That makes two of us this month.  I agree with everything you said about it - I was also impressed with its manners in slow driving in bumper to bumper traffic, obviously when you open up the throttle it's equally impressive.

I like the GTO alot.  I didn't test drive it when I was looking at cars, but obviously it's got a great engine and the interior is very good (probably about the best GM interior out there, IMO).  

When you test drive the C6, make sure you have the top off for part of the test drive.

Catman

GTO's are the shit.  Everyone overlooks that thing.  Crazy.:blink:

Your take on the MX-5 backs up my own opinion that it's probably the most fun you'll ever have behind the wheel for that kind of money.  It's just so much fun to drive.  I want one but it'll be a while. :mellow:

SJ_GTI

I will definitely have to test drive a GTO before I buy my next car. Its sounds like an amazing car. Everyone that drives it seems to love it (except american car magazine journalists).

Catman

QuoteI will definitely have to test drive a GTO before I buy my next car. Its sounds like an amazing car. Everyone that drives it seems to love it (except american car magazine journalists).
So true man! <_<  

TBR

QuoteI will definitely have to test drive a GTO before I buy my next car. Its sounds like an amazing car. Everyone that drives it seems to love it (except american car magazine journalists).
I don't think that is true, most of the reviews I have read have been very positive, the only complaints I have seen are about the lack of options and the shifter.

JYODER240

I'm definently am going to have to test drive a GTO before I get my next car.  I stopped in at the Porsche dealership and looked at a Cayman S.  I couldnt drive it or even sit in it.  I wasnt even supposed to be able to see it until Jan. 14 which is the official release.  But the salesman threw a few numbers out and it looks like it could possibly be on my list if I lease.  
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Rupert

Fuckin rich kids ;) .

Man, they'd never even let me near that thing! So, uh, I live in Washington... Raza, feel like a road trip?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

cawimmer430

Lucky bastard indeed.  :lol:

"Wimmer, what did you drive this Christmas!?"

"A 13-hp A-Class..."

"Dude, that's like so underpow..."  :lol:  
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Raza

QuoteAh, you succumbed to the temptation of the LS2.  That makes two of us this month.  I agree with everything you said about it - I was also impressed with its manners in slow driving in bumper to bumper traffic, obviously when you open up the throttle it's equally impressive.

I like the GTO alot.  I didn't test drive it when I was looking at cars, but obviously it's got a great engine and the interior is very good (probably about the best GM interior out there, IMO).  

When you test drive the C6, make sure you have the top off for part of the test drive.
We're getting snow tonight, so it may not be that easy.  I'll try, though.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

QuoteFuckin rich kids ;) .

Man, they'd never even let me near that thing! So, uh, I live in Washington... Raza, feel like a road trip?
DC?  Or State?  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

I don't think that is true, most of the reviews I have read have been very positive, the only complaints I have seen are about the lack of options and the shifter.
Yeah, the lack of options contributes to the "Is this a Mustang fighter or a 3 series fighter?" confusion.  If they add options like satnav, satellite radio, and heated seats (sunroof would be nice) it would easily defined as the most powerful and fastest entry luxury car you could buy.  

The shifter isn't bad at all.  Throws felt a little longer than the MX-5's but it's not notchy, it's not too heavy, and it's not vague one bit.  The clutch is a bit on the heavy side, though.  But, even in rush hour traffic, I never felt like "man, this clutch is heavy".

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

QuoteGTO's are the shit.  Everyone overlooks that thing.  Crazy.:blink:

Your take on the MX-5 backs up my own opinion that it's probably the most fun you'll ever have behind the wheel for that kind of money.  It's just so much fun to drive.  I want one but it'll be a while. :mellow:
You know, he worked up a lease for me (even though the price was higher than the RX-8's) the monthly was lower than the RX-8's.  It came to $403 (including taxes) a month over 48 months with inception down.  My Passat is $285 monthly (I'm not sure if this includes taxes, I'll find out) so it's really not that bad.  If you move some things around (I don't know your financial situation, of course) you could probably find space for it.  Or, depending on how liquid you are, you could put a bunch down and finance the rest.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Colonel Cadillac

You are one lucky guy.  

Raza

The GTO is it.

The one I drove today was some weirder color, similar to the Barbados blue, but I don't think that's what he called it.  I can't find it on the website, but I think it might be Cyclone Gray, though it doesn't really look that gray.  In that color, the new tail lights don't stand out as much, and the hood scoops look less ostentatious.

He did tell me that he could get me a Phantom Black one though, no problem.  They sold the one they had last night after I left.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Colonel Cadillac

Congratulations, there really is no other car better than the GTO in its class. You got the best car, and that is exactly what you wanted.

SJ_GTI

QuoteThe GTO is it.

The one I drove today was some weirder color, similar to the Barbados blue, but I don't think that's what he called it.  I can't find it on the website, but I think it might be Cyclone Gray, though it doesn't really look that gray.  In that color, the new tail lights don't stand out as much, and the hood scoops look less ostentatious.

He did tell me that he could get me a Phantom Black one though, no problem.  They sold the one they had last night after I left.
So you are getting a GTO then?

Lucky bastard.  :P

Actually...are your parents okay with you getting a GTO? The 400 HP might scare some parents away.