Is this what I think it is?

Started by Rupert, December 14, 2005, 06:25:11 PM

Rupert

I think it's part of the hydraulic jack that came with the truck, the bit you turn. Is that all it is?

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

93JC

That's awfully long to be a crank for a jack...

I would say that's what it is if it was, say, a pickup truck with a spare tire mounted under the bed. My '81 Scottsdale has a long tool like that mounted in the engine bay (it actually folds in half and is stored under the factory jack, under the hood, on the passenger side in front of the wheel well), since the factory spare was mounted under the bed. You had to use this tool to release the spare from its mount, since there was really no other way to get to it without getting on your back and sliding yourself under the truck (which isn't hard to do in and of itself, and which you ended up doing anyway to retrieve the spare...).

But, obviously, your spare is mounted on the rear door. Which makes a tool like that just... retarded.

Tom

footoflead

We had a F-150 that had the jack hidden in various places under the hood <_<..made me so mad trying to find the dam thing we you were in a tight spot
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

MX793

The crank for the jack that's in my friend's Explorer comes in three pieces and is about 3 to 4 feet long when assembled.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Rupert

One end of the thing is a bit flatter, and it seems to mate with the turn-y bit on the jack...

I don't think the owners manual is any help.

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Secret Chimp

Part of a tire iron for real he-man jobs?

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Raza

My physics teacher's favorite tool in his garage was his 6 foot long hollow metal tube.  Torque is a cross product, after all.  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.