Z info - Future model

Started by FlatBlackCaddy, May 06, 2005, 01:40:11 PM

FlatBlackCaddy

I was just thinking the other day that we should be hearing something(if anything) about a future Z model change. I know the Z hasn't been around too long but going by past Z cycles we are actually about due for a new Z(speculating a 2007 or 2008) model change.

The last two Z cars(the Z31 and Z32) had a model run of 5-7 years.

Could nissan be quitely planing a new Z or will the future release of a global GT-R possibly push this 350Z into a long unchanged cycle.

I for one would love to see a new Z acompany the launch of the rumored 2007 GT-R.

Have i missed some news already pertaining to this topic?

So what are some others opinions on the possibility of a upcoming Z replacement.

Why?

I haven't heard anything about a Z replacement.

I think they will let the cars cycle go longer than normal. It is a great vehicle, and I am sure they have no intention of getting into a one-upmanship deal the the Japanese manufacturers did in the 90's.

I agree that the GT-R would also make them hold off a Z replacement.

FlatBlackCaddy

QuoteI haven't heard anything about a Z replacement.

I think they will let the cars cycle go longer than normal. It is a great vehicle, and I am sure they have no intention of getting into a one-upmanship deal the the Japanese manufacturers did in the 90's.

I agree that the GT-R would also make them hold off a Z replacement.
Well the 90's japanese sports car demise aside, the Z went through some pretty swift changes in its hayday(the 70's).

Fire It Up

I remember in the first tests of the Z that the editors sorta hinted that there may be a forced induction Z on the way. Maybe they are working on it quietly...

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

El Barto

I think if there are any changes to the Z soon they will be small changes.  Maybe a few more horses or some styling changes.  They will probably do a larger design change a few years after the GTR is released.
2016 Volkswagen GTI (Aug 2015 - Present)
2008 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg (Aug 2011 - Aug 2015)
2003 Saab 9-3 2.0t (Oct 2007 - Aug 2011)
1990 Nissan Maxima SE (July 2003 - Oct 2007)

giant_mtb

I don't think they should change the look of the Z.  I really like it the way it is, but I wouldn't really be bothered by a change, either.  They should give it a turbocharger or something a bit more before they decide to do a re-do...

NomisR

QuoteI don't think they should change the look of the Z.  I really like it the way it is, but I wouldn't really be bothered by a change, either.  They should give it a turbocharger or something a bit more before they decide to do a re-do...
I think they need to lighten the car up a bit.  Too heavy.  A light weight version like the 350Z-R would be nice :P

TurboDan

Yeah, that was really my only gripe with the Z - it was just a little bit too heavy for such a small car.  Shaving a tiny bit of weight off would go a long way.  But I really like the design alot, so only a few changes to freshen the look would be all I'd do to it before the GTR.

giant_mtb

QuoteI don't think they should change the look of the Z.  I really like it the way it is, but I wouldn't really be bothered by a change, either.  They should give it a turbocharger or something a bit more before they decide to do a re-do...
I think they need to lighten the car up a bit.  Too heavy.  A light weight version like the 350Z-R would be nice :P
Great point.  In my experience with the car it did feel a bit heavy...but it was still a heck of a ride.  My only major quibble with the car is the trunk space.  The 2-seater-only fashion doesn't bother me at all, though.

SaleenS7

I hope the Z won't die again...
Saleen S7[/size][/font]

If you're gonna push it, push it HARD!

Fire It Up

QuoteI hope the Z won't die again...
Nissan won't be stupid enuff for that to happen...or at least I hope so...

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

giant_mtb

QuoteI hope the Z won't die again...
Nissan won't be stupid enuff for that to happen...or at least I hope so...
I hightly doubt it....and if they did...I'd just call it a publicity stunt to get more people to look at them. lol  :P  

TBR

Ideally the G35 and 350z will get their own dedicated platform this time around now that Nissan is actually making money, so hopefully we will see lower curb weights this time around :)

FlatBlackCaddy

QuoteIdeally the G35 and 350z will get their own dedicated platform this time around now that Nissan is actually making money, so hopefully we will see lower curb weights this time around :)
That would be a good move IMO, probobly not from a financial view but they could manage it. Nissan is still posting gains and they have been bringing in the cash. If they want to keep momentum up they have to continue to update their cars to keep them at the top or near the top of the class.

280Z Turbo

I would like to see the Z return to it's roots. I don't want to see another fat, heavy, ugly, SUV-based Z ever. A Z is supposed to be an economical, quick (but not a muscle car), lightweight sports coupe that has everything you need and nothing you don't.

I really want to see the turbocharged straight six come back too. :praise:  

Lorinser

Nissan is probably busy developing the next GT-R, so I don't think that there will be a new Z until after the GT-R is released.