401K, IRA, IRS, BOV, DOHC, etc.

Started by Eye of the Tiger, September 24, 2015, 08:02:56 PM

Several thousands of dollars in 401K... dunno what to do. I'm not money.

Cash it out, fuck bitches
1 (50%)
Roll into IRA
0 (0%)
Roll into Roth IRA
1 (50%)
Use as collateral for small business loan, ???, profit.
0 (0%)
Let it sit and forget about it for 30 years
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Eye of the Tiger

So, I need to figure out what to do with my old 401K. It's just in a few mutual funds that I picked, and it's good. Problem is, the conpany that manages it is sketchy. I called them up, and they couldn't even tell me how much was vested or really anything. I don't want to cash it out, but I might. 10% penalty on top of taxes and processing fees. Lame, but I could use the money now. Besides, it doesn't make sense to invest when I still have a mortgage and student loans to pay off.

I am thinking of rolling it into a Roth IRA with some mutual funds with a company of my choice (not my employer's choice). I suppose that would involve paying taxes. I like the idea of paying the taxes now and having no penalty for withdrawing if needed. It's my money, and I don't like people telling me what I can't do with it.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Eye of the Tiger

Laconian

Move it into a traditional IRA with Vanguard or Fidelity. Much better than a 401k.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Laconian

You can convert the IRA to a Roth at a later date, no need to pay the tax hit now.

Eye of the Tiger

Ok, so if I skip the IRA for now and just invest freely... What is best for investing a fixed amount and just letting it simmer for about 10 years? CD, low risk mutual fund, currencies? I am dum.

Or

I'm just thinking... Maybe I can cash out 401K, and use it to pay for this online certificate program for medical coding. Maybe there is some shortcut where I dont have to pay as much taxes on it if it goes straight to education. I absolutely refuse to take out more student loans.

MX793

Roll it into something you can contribute to.  Consider maybe one of those target date funds.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MX793 on September 25, 2015, 08:45:11 AM
Roll it into something you can contribute to.  Consider maybe one of those target date funds.

I have had no luck with dates for the last several years. Not sure I want to fund such a failing enterprise.

Laconian

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on September 25, 2015, 07:37:27 AM
Ok, so if I skip the IRA for now and just invest freely... What is best for investing a fixed amount and just letting it simmer for about 10 years? CD, low risk mutual fund, currencies? I am dum.

Or

I'm just thinking... Maybe I can cash out 401K, and use it to pay for this online certificate program for medical coding. Maybe there is some shortcut where I dont have to pay as much taxes on it if it goes straight to education. I absolutely refuse to take out more student loans.

You can do both. You should invest in a combination of retirement and non-retirement accounts, because you'll need something for the years before you hit your withdrawal date.

Lebowski

I would not cash it out, and otherwise not do anything that incurs a penalty.

If you have the option to roll into an IRA, I'd probably do that. If you are in a low tax bracket now, and don't mind paying the taxes, it's not a bad idea to convert to a Roth.  But a traditional ira is fine, too.

Eye of the Tiger

Well, I'm not in a high tax bracket, so Roth seemed like a good idea.
But cashing out could really jump start my career change. It may be more than worth paying the penalties.

Byteme

Quote from: Laconian on September 24, 2015, 10:42:08 PM
You can convert the IRA to a Roth at a later date, no need to pay the tax hit now.

I'd convert it now.  One would expect it will grow over time so converting now means paying taxes on a lower amount. 

Laconian

Quote from: CLKid on September 26, 2015, 09:29:19 AM
I'd convert it now.  One would expect it will grow over time so converting now means paying taxes on a lower amount. 

Not a bad point.

Byteme

Quote from: Laconian on September 26, 2015, 04:15:47 PM
Not a bad point.

That's the beauty of a Roth.  You pay taxes up front on your contribution and any future appreciation is tax free.  I wish they had Roths when I started my IRA in 1983. 

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CLKid on September 26, 2015, 07:35:56 PM
That's the beauty of a Roth.  You pay taxes up front on your contribution and any future appreciation is tax free.  I wish they had Roths when I started my IRA in 1983.

Yeah, I figure taxes will only go up in the future, so might as well pay them now.