Tesla Model X

Started by Morris Minor, September 30, 2015, 09:16:54 AM

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on October 20, 2015, 07:26:47 AM
not necessarily. :huh:

Ford's Taurus design didn't work with the then-existent glass headlight bulbs. They had to lobby hard and long for Feds to allow plastic...

And now look at all the faded yellow headlights out there. Junk! Should have stuck with DOT sealed beams.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Morris Minor

Ford's Taurus design didn't work with the then-existent glass headlight bulbs. They had to lobby hard and long for Feds to allow plastic...

Opaque yellow with 10% light transmission is so much better.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 20, 2015, 07:31:21 AM
And now look at all the faded yellow headlights out there. Junk! Should have stuck with DOT sealed beams.
Quote from: Morris Minor on October 20, 2015, 07:40:40 AM
Opaque yellow with 10% light transmission is so much better.

:lol:
Will

AutobahnSHO

Tesla S rated low in reliability, but best in driver experience.
http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-consumer-reports-tesla-models-20151020-story.html

Also this was interesting- their ranking of brands
"Lexus was the top brand for reliability. The rankings of the other brands with better-than-average reliability are second-place Toyota followed by Audi, Mazda, Subaru, Kia and Buick.
Brands with average reliability are Honda followed by Hyundai, Mini, BMW, Volvo, Volkswagen, Porsche and Nissan.
Those that were least reliable are Lincoln followed by Ford, Acura, GMC, Chevrolet, Mercedes-Benz, Chrysler, Dodge, Infiniti and Cadillac.
The worst of the bunch was Ram followed by Jeep and Fiat."

Tesla would have ranked 19 if they produced more than one vehicle..
Will

Soup DeVille

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on October 20, 2015, 12:37:59 PM
http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-consumer-reports-tesla-models-20151020-story.html

"Lexus was the top brand for reliability. The rankings of the other brands with better-than-average reliability are second-place Toyota followed by Audi, Mazda, Subaru, Kia and Buick.
Brands with average reliability are Honda followed by Hyundai, Mini, BMW, Volvo, Volkswagen, Porsche and Nissan.
Those that were least reliable are Lincoln followed by Ford, Acura, GMC, Chevrolet, Mercedes-Benz, Chrysler, Dodge, Infiniti and Cadillac.

To a certain extent that is to be expected. As long as it's small complaints; or really anything short of leaving people stranded or lighting themselves on fire, I don't think it matters too much in the long term.

New company, new tech; and no real competition, you can't expect Tesla to have apparent quality on par with companies that have been sorting this stuff out for decades over millions of units.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

And Chris is right; there is almost definitely some method for opening those doors when the car is on its roof.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't be curious as to what that is.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

GoCougs

I don't think it's necessarily expected. There are systemic/non-minor design problems not minor manufacturing niggles. But then again buyers similarly don't seen to care about poor reliability history of say the X5 or 5er.

Raza

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on October 20, 2015, 12:37:59 PM

Lexus, Toyota, Audi, Mazda, Subaru....one of these things is not like the other.  And fairly surprising. 

Surprised also to see Honda down in average reliability. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Raza  on October 21, 2015, 10:00:23 PM
Lexus, Toyota, Audi, Mazda, Subaru....one of these things is not like the other.  And fairly surprising. 

One is built in Indiana?!?!   :lol:
Will

ifcar

The Mexican-built Fit didn't do as well as Japanese-built Fit.

AltinD

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 20, 2015, 07:31:21 AM

The fading is caused by long exposure to sunlight and other atmospheric agents such humidity or even dust/sand. Here in Dubai the sun shines bright and I see many cars with such problems and is not really related to brand/model, rather taking care of.

My old car parked indoor overnight and mostly under shadow during the day, and kept clean, never had a problem for 6.5 years. In less than two years of parked outdoor and not cleaned regularly after I got my current car, it started developing it.

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AltinD on October 23, 2015, 05:29:18 AM
The fading is caused by long exposure to sunlight and other atmospheric agents such humidity or even dust/sand. Here in Dubai the sun shines bright and I see many cars with such problems and is not really related to brand/model, rather taking care of.

My old car parked indoor overnight and mostly under shadow during the day, and kept clean, never had a problem for 6.5 years. In less than two years of parked outdoor and not cleaned regularly after I got my current car, it started developing it.

One would think the sand storms would petiodically refresh the surface of the headlight. Just park facing into the wind.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MX793

The plastic headlight lenses in the Taurus were nothing new.  Plastic lenses had been in use in other markets for over a decade.  But for some reason the DOT has always been behind the curve and averse to change when it comes to headlights.  Up until the late 70s, all headlights on US market vehicles had to be circular in shape while elsewhere, square and rectangular lamps were being used.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Submariner

Yeah, seeing Audi up and Honda down is a bit strange.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

2o6

Quote from: Submariner on October 23, 2015, 10:09:04 AM
Yeah, seeing Audi up and Honda down is a bit strange.

- the Celaya, Mexico plant is having some quality issues

- the new multi-speed transmissions aren't doing good either

AltinD

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 23, 2015, 07:27:00 AM
One would think the sand storms would petiodically refresh the surface of the headlight. Just park facing into the wind.

Not really, especially not with the humidity that makes everything sticky

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD