Tesla Model X

Started by Morris Minor, September 30, 2015, 09:16:54 AM

MrH

Quote from: Laconian on September 30, 2015, 02:59:50 PM
0.24Cd is RIDICULOUSLY low, though.

Recommending that people go skiing with this car is irresponsible. It has no ground clearance! (And how *could* it have ground clearance, if the drag is so low?)

It's on an air suspension.  It lowers on the highway to reduce drag, and you can tell it to lift up if you need to.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

BimmerM3

Quote from: 2o6 on September 30, 2015, 09:27:47 AM
Those doors aren't a new idea.

The reason why they're not implemented is cause they're stupid.

Except that these actually work. From WIRED: http://www.wired.com/2015/09/tesla-model-x-suv-reveal-specs-price/?mbid=nl_93015

Tesla calls them "falcon" doors, because they lift like the wings of a bird. And because it sounds cool.

The big drawback of doors that open like wings—the Mercedes-Benz AMG SLS has them, as did the DeLorean—is they require a lot of room to open, so you're always worried about hitting something. Tesla got around this by double-hinging the doors, and fitting each with an ultrasonic sensor and putting a third on the roof. They scan the area around the vehicle to determine how much space there is, then adjust the "span" and open accordingly.

It sounds complicated as hell, and it is, but it works beautifully. Tesla engineers say the doors can open with as little as 12 inches on each side of the vehicle—then proved it by having us park between two cars. The mirrors on the X were mere inches from those of the car on either side, yet the doors opened flawlessly. Capacitive sensors in the edges of each door sense obstacles within 2 to 4 inches, so you don't have to worry about a descending door whacking your head or crushing your fingers.

All of this may sound like a frivolous extravagance, and in some ways it is—and you know part of the reason Musk wanted these doors was to prove he could make them—but it's remarkably clever, even practical.

Yes, practical. The doors make it easy to get in and out of the vehicle. No gymnastic contortions to get into the (standard) third row seating. No more cantilevering yourself to get your kids into their child seats. No more playing Tetris trying to get your stuff in. Just throw open those doors—actually, push a button and let the doors lift automatically, in 6 to 7 seconds—throw in your groceries and bags and whatnot, and climb in after it.

Is is unnecessary and complex? Sure, but if I'm going to spend $130,000 on a car, it ought to have some pretty neat features, and that is one.

giant_mtb

Recommending that people go skiing with this car is irresponsible. It has no ground clearance! (And how *could* it have ground clearance, if the drag is so low?)

I like how the heading above that picture is "Everything Fits." :lol:

No, clearly it does not. A luggage rack on the back does not count as "everything fits."

2o6

Quote from: BimmerM3 on September 30, 2015, 04:59:02 PM
Except that these actually work. From WIRED: http://www.wired.com/2015/09/tesla-model-x-suv-reveal-specs-price/?mbid=nl_93015

Is is unnecessary and complex? Sure, but if I'm going to spend $130,000 on a car, it ought to have some pretty neat features, and that is one.

What if there's

Snow on the roof?

If the car is iced over?

If it's raining?

They're stupid

giant_mtb

Quote from: 2o6 on September 30, 2015, 06:18:08 PM

What if there's

Snow on the roof?

If the car is iced over?

If it's raining?

They're stupid

Not brushing the snow off your roof is a dick move.  It's dangerous when you don't do it and then big chunks fly at the cars behind you on the highway. Almost as dumb as the people who dont think to brush off their headlights/tail lights.

ifcar

Quote from: BimmerM3 on September 30, 2015, 04:59:02 PM

That article has the best explanation of their value I've seen, as opposed to just "THIS CAR MUST BE COOL."

Cookie Monster

Quote from: 2o6 on September 30, 2015, 06:18:08 PM

What if there's

Snow on the roof?

If the car is iced over?

If it's raining?

They're stupid

How does the ice affect the type of door?

And if it's raining, it looks like with the way these open it would actually prevent too much rain from falling into the car.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 30, 2015, 06:28:44 PM
Not brushing the snow off your roof is a dick move.  It's dangerous when you don't do it and then big chunks fly at the cars behind you on the highway. Almost as dumb as the people who dont think to brush off their headlights/tail lights.

+1

My dad hit someone in the trunk. They got a ticket, they had 4inches of snow on everything but the windshield. He couldn't see the brakelights AT ALL, even at night.
Will

ifcar

Quote from: thecarnut on September 30, 2015, 06:43:55 PM

And if it's raining, it looks like with the way these open it would actually prevent too much rain from falling into the car.

Yep, rain gets into cars anyway. The only way this would be different is that it can't close as quickly, but minivans with power sliders already have the same issue.

giant_mtb

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on September 30, 2015, 06:45:43 PM
+1

My dad hit someone in the trunk. They got a ticket, they had 4inches of snow on everything but the windshield. He couldn't see the brakelights AT ALL, even at night.

Just lazy people thinking "well, I can see forward kinda, so fuckit, I'm good."

GoCougs

Quote from: ifcar on September 30, 2015, 06:38:38 PM
That article has the best explanation of their value I've seen, as opposed to just "THIS CAR MUST BE COOL."

= "Sorta interesting, not any more practical, and vastly more complicated (prone to problems with age) than regular doors."

giant_mtb

All in all, my insinctual response to this vehicle is:

Oh look, another car Tesla will lose (taxpayer) money on that nobody can actually afford anyways.

2o6

Quote from: thecarnut on September 30, 2015, 06:43:55 PM

Have you ever had a door ice over? At least with a traditional door or even a sliding door you can get leverage to manually force it open. This design, you cannot. Same with snow.

It's not really that practical and it's more of a novelty, more than anything

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 30, 2015, 06:28:44 PM

Not talking about driving. Talking about getting in the car.

Soup DeVille

I have found that the roads to most ski places are actually plowed quite well.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

68_427

Yeah the doors are dumb for winter climates... until it's proven they aren't.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Soup DeVille

Had huge problems with the powered minivan doors on the Chrysler icing up and getting stuck. Wiping the rubber seals with tire shine stuff helped.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

68_427

What about these doors just leaving huge broken ice chunks on the roof? 
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Cookie Monster

Quote from: 2o6 on September 30, 2015, 09:29:01 PM

Have you ever had a door ice over? At least with a traditional door or even a sliding door you can get leverage to manually force it open. This design, you cannot. Same with snow.

It's not really that practical and it's more of a novelty, more than anything

Not talking about driving. Talking about getting in the car.

How is this harder to open than a sliding door iced over?

As for the snow, wouldn't you have to take the snow off the roof before getting in and driving anyways? I guess you have a point if you wanted to put someone or something in the back seats first and then shovel the snow.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

GoCougs

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 30, 2015, 08:15:49 PM
All in all, my insinctual response to this vehicle is:

Oh look, another car Tesla will lose (taxpayer) money on that nobody can actually afford anyways.

Most are leased (most can't afford), and even then there are (or were) some goofy lease deals, such as banks bogarting the tax/green credits and rolling it into the lease.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: thecarnut on September 30, 2015, 10:40:00 PM

As for the snow, wouldn't you have to take the snow off the roof before getting in and driving anyways? I guess you have a point if you wanted to put someone or something in the back seats first and then shovel the snow.

Well, what I do is this. I open the driver''s door first to start the car and get the insides warmed up: hit the defrost and whatever needs to defrost and turn on whatever electric seat/hand warmers the car has. Then, I clear the car of snow while its warming up.  Plus: where do you keep the snow brush and scraper? At home, there's always a few in the garage. leaving work, I probably have it in the back seat floorboards.

So we're back to having to have something to clear the car before getting in.

For 99% of these Tesla buyers, its likely not going to be an issue- as most don't live in the deep cold areas, and most aren't using these as an only car.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 30, 2015, 10:52:51 PM
Well, what I do is this. I open the driver''s door first to start the car and get the insides warmed up: hit the defrost and whatever needs to defrost and turn on whatever electric seat/hand warmers the car has. Then, I clear the car of snow while its warming up.  Plus: where do you keep the snow brush and scraper? At home, there's always a few in the garage. leaving work, I probably have it in the back seat floorboards.

So we're back to having to have something to clear the car before getting in.

For 99% of these Tesla buyers, its likely not going to be an issue- as most don't live in the deep cold areas, and most aren't using these as an only car.

Plus electric cars suck in the (real) winter because batteries are bad at cold.

Morris Minor

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 01, 2015, 12:18:06 AM

Yeah you're not going to use a Tesla in cold weather - especially if it has not been preconditioned in a warm garage on household current.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on September 30, 2015, 11:45:50 AM
Looks frumpy and the doors are :facepalm: for an SUV (i.e., carrying stuff on top).

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I didn't even consider that. Well, maybe the rear passengers can exit the hatch.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

SJ_GTI

Model X is definitely not my cup of tea, but it is funny to see people nitpicking things. No car is perfect for everyone...this car will likely have more demand then supply, so they must be doing something right.

Personally I am looking forward to seeing the Model 3. I am hoping it is a smaller/cheaper version of the Model S. Could definitely see me buying one if it is priced at or less than ~55k(ish).

2o6

Quote from: thecarnut on September 30, 2015, 10:40:00 PM

You cant get real leverage to push these falcon doors up. With an iced over door (which happens pretty much every week here in the winter of OH) you can pull on the handle/door and use strength to get the door open.

With this design, you can't do that.

But it's a moot point, these owners won't store their cars outside.

ifcar

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 01, 2015, 12:18:06 AM

That's more of an issue for a car with a normal-weather range of 90 miles than one with 250 miles. Still fine for a normal commute in the winter.

thewizard16

Meh. I think a lot of these points being made are silly since this isn't a vehicle aimed at practicality to begin with. It's another very expensive niche market luxury car that exists solely to market the technology and "cool" factor, not actually being useful for a normal person. I think this thing is pretty unattractive from the front in white (looks OK in black), but otherwise I'm not going to complain about an electric SUVan that does 0-60 in 3.2 seconds and has needlessly complicated falcon wing doors that can sense things near them.

Musk is a character, but I like Tesla. Not because of a specific car, but that they took a very bold approach to making electric vehicles "cool", sporty... and unattainable to most people (and therefore even more desirable) which may eventually help spread their adoption long-term. Not Tesla, specifically, but the idea that an electric car can be high end, very fast, and fun to drive is a lot better at making people want them than a more conventional "it's cleaner and cheap to run" approach attempted in the past.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

BimmerM3

Quote from: thewizard16 on October 01, 2015, 10:27:21 AM
Meh. I think a lot of these points being made are silly since this isn't a vehicle aimed at practicality to begin with. It's another very expensive niche market luxury car that exists sololy to market the technology and "cool" factor, not actually being useful for a normal person. I think this thing is pretty unattractive from the front in white (looks OK in black), but otherwise I'm not going to complain about an electric SUVan that does 0-60 in 3.2 seconds and has needlessly complicated falcon wing doors that can sense things near them.

Musk is a character, but I like Tesla. Not because of a specific car, but that they took a very bold approach to making electric vehicles "cool", sporty... and unattainable to most people (and therefore even more desirable) which may eventually help spread their adoption long-term. Not Tesla, specifically, but the idea that an electric car can be high end, very fast, and fun to drive is a lot better at making people want them than a more conventional "it's cleaner and cheap to run" approach attempted in the past.

+1. Well said.

GoCougs

IMO Tesla's value is convincing government to fund a boondoggle + preying on the pseudo eco nature of electric cars + Apple effect.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Morris Minor on October 01, 2015, 04:04:11 AM
Yeah you're not going to use a Tesla in cold weather - especially if it has not been preconditioned in a warm garage on household current.

Yeah, then goes and sits in the cold at work for 8 hours and the range goes down to 4 and you can't get home.