Tesla Model X

Started by Morris Minor, September 30, 2015, 09:16:54 AM

Tave

Quote from: Laconian on September 30, 2015, 02:59:50 PM
0.24Cd is RIDICULOUSLY low, though.

Recommending that people go skiing with this car is irresponsible. It has no ground clearance! (And how *could* it have ground clearance, if the drag is so low?)

I took my Aveo skiing for years. :huh:
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

ifcar

So, hadn't seen this earlier, but....

Eye of the Tiger

Which one is the new model?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Laconian

Can't unsee the Crosstour. Ughhhhh
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

BimmerM3

Oh yeah, that was like the first thing I saw. I think I just assumed that everyone else saw it too, so I didn't bother mentioning it. :lol:

BENZ BOY15

Ah yes. One more product for a very small percentage of the population, made possible by your average taxpayer.

280Z Turbo

The Crosstour is so much worse, though.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on October 02, 2015, 07:24:50 PM
The Crosstour is so much worse, though.

cuz cheaper?  or does the infinitely less time spent at the dealer for repairs scare you?
Will

Cookie Monster

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on October 03, 2015, 06:51:59 AM
cuz cheaper?  or does the infinitely less time spent at the dealer for repairs scare you?
Have any data to back up that claim that teslas spend most of their time getting fixed?
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

2o6

Quote from: thecarnut on October 03, 2015, 08:14:14 AM
Have any data to back up that claim that teslas spend most of their time getting fixed?

consumer reports Model S wasn't all that great, it ate like three different motors, the screen had to be replaced, and whatever the equivalent of the "transmission" went out once or twice, too.

I'm curious to see how these things hold up at high miles.

2o6

Say what you will, but the Leaf and Volt and Prius have been fairly consistent and reliable at higher miles, especially the Prius.

But early tech and products don't always go well. Gen 1 Priuses are kind of dumpy in regards to reliability.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: thecarnut on October 03, 2015, 08:14:14 AM

crazy cool scissor doors with sensors and motors won't need more maintenance than tried-and-true regular doors?
etc...
Will

GoCougs

Quote from: 2o6 on October 03, 2015, 08:43:58 AM
Say what you will, but the Leaf and Volt and Prius have been fairly consistent and reliable at higher miles, especially the Prius.

But early tech and products don't always go well. Gen 1 Priuses are kind of dumpy in regards to reliability.

Nissan, Chevy and Toyota have been building cars for a very long time though.

Many long term Telsa reports (Edmunds, Consumer Reports) have been dismal WRT reliability, which has to be expected.

Raza

Has anyone raised the rollover concern with the falcon doors?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Raza  on October 03, 2015, 06:26:08 PM

Mercedes added some kind of exploding hinge to their gullwings. Maybe they've done that.

ChrisV

No, no one at any company has ever considered that.

Can we find more things to complain about?
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

2o6

Quote from: ChrisV on October 06, 2015, 08:40:08 AM

It's a valid concern, so don't shrug it off like it isn't.

giant_mtb

There's prolly asplosives in the hinges somewheres.

2o6

The only thing Elon Musk has said is basically "It could never roll over! The CG is too low!" which doesn't answer the question

GoCougs

How are the doors a rollover concern - by coming open in such an event?

I agree - they've most certainly thought about it, and it would be easy to make them not come open during a rollover.

CJ

Quote from: GoCougs on October 06, 2015, 10:49:56 AM

I agree - they've most certainly thought about it, and it would be easy to make them not come open during a rollover.

Quite the opposite. What if the vehicle lands upside down? How will the doors open?

giant_mtb

No, it's a concern if you were to roll and come to rest on the roof.

BimmerM3

I think the issue would be more that weight of the car would prevent the doors from opening, making it difficult to remove accident victims.

Perhaps the double hinge will allow the side of the door to fold out towards the ground, even if the top part cannot open? I dunno.

ChrisV

Quote from: 2o6 on October 06, 2015, 09:35:22 AM

It's a valid concern, so don't shrug it off like it isn't.

And don't act like smart engineers that are thinking about in this age of safety haven't already thought about it. OK?

And basically, with a CG lower than most sports cars, even in a tripping event, rolling one would be hard to do. Less than .0001% of cars roll over in the real world. It also has over 5+ star crush ratings on the roof AND they aren't the only doors on the vehicle, so getting out the front doors is still a viable option.

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

GoCougs

Oh, now I see. Yes, that would definitely be a problem, even if the Model X has a lower-than-average rollover tendency. It WILL rollover periodically and the doors have to be openable in such an event. A bit of Internetting shows that the SLS's gull wing doors had exploding bolts on the hinges, allowing the door to be pushed off in the event of a rollover:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_KtDjN75xw

AltinD

However, unlike the SLS AMG, it still have two other conventional doors.

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

MrH

These are double hinged.  You can probably still open them in a rollover.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Raza

Quote from: ChrisV on October 06, 2015, 08:40:08 AM

I'm sure they raised it, but has anyone mentioned what they do in case of a rollover to the press or has it been reported on, dick? I'm interested to see what their solution is.

I mean, fuck off if I can the curious as to how they solved a problem they created. It's a cool concept, but it's not without issue. You want me to just ooh and ahh at whatever the fuck they put out? It's ugly, it's expensive, it's a Pow-pow-power Wheels electric car, but I didn't complain about any of that shit. I just wanted to know what the doors do in event of a rollover.

Fuck, it's like you can't even discuss cars on this car forum anymore if you're not just sucking off the bombastic designers.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

GoCougs

Quote from: AltinD on October 09, 2015, 05:50:51 AM
However, unlike the SLS AMG, it still have two other conventional doors.

All doors have to open in the even of a rollover.

Raza

Quote from: GoCougs on October 09, 2015, 01:18:22 PM
All doors have to open in the even of a rollover.

Can you imagine the scene? The Tesla X rolls over, battery acid is leaking everywhere, a family of five sits calmly upside down in their seats. "Now children, come along, take off your seat belts and crawl to the front of the car and we can all get out through mother's door."

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i