Autonomous Cars

Started by AutobahnSHO, October 08, 2015, 08:53:13 AM

r0tor

Grand Tour had a nice segment about bullying self driving cars... Good stuff
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Morris Minor

Quote from: GoCougs on December 17, 2017, 06:13:30 PM
IMO it may "happen" just not within the next number of decades, for it requires inordinate amount of infrastructure spending and upheaval, and government power, esp. at the local/regional level.

But this was mostly "solved" ~100 years ago, with electric trolleys and commuter trains, but that's so unsexy and plebeian.
Trains & trolleys don't take you from where you are to where you want to be.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Morris Minor

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 17, 2017, 01:44:06 PM
As transition, it may be that cars need to be piloted manually until they are in a position to request to enter automated mode.
Exactly. They'll have low-level autonomy modes that still require driver authority to get through the minor streets (much like Teslas do now,) then switch to full hands-off mode when they latch onto the infrastructure of the main arteries.

Laconian

requires inordinate amount of infrastructure spending and upheaval, and government power, esp. at the local/regional level.

Like what, specifically?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

giant_mtb

Because the government is really good at maintaining roads.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 17, 2017, 01:44:06 PM
As transition, it may be that cars need to be piloted manually until they are in a position to request to enter automated mode.
An autonomous solution that requires regular human intervention is not autonomous :lol:

I want to get in my car and have the ability to play with my balls from the start of the trip to the end without any interruptions. That's my autonomous threshold and we are nowhere close to that.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Laconian

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 18, 2017, 11:22:55 AM
An autonomous solution that requires regular human intervention is not autonomous :lol:

I want to get in my car and have the ability to play with my balls from the start of the trip to the end without any interruptions. That's my autonomous threshold and we are nowhere close to that.

That's not true. Waymo has graduated to Level 4. https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/7/16615290/waymo-self-driving-safety-driver-chandler-autonomous

Level 4 ("mind off"): As level 3, but no driver attention is ever required for safety, i.e. the driver may safely go to sleep or leave the driver's seat. Self driving is supported only in limited areas (geofenced) or under special circumstances, like traffic jams. Outside of these areas or circumstances, the vehicle must be able to safely abort the trip, i.e. park the car, if the driver does not retake control.

giant_mtb

Only when all cars are autonomous would I ever maybe be able to fully relax and, say, sleep in the car while it drives itself.

AutobahnSHO

IMO it may "happen" just not within the next number of decades, for it requires inordinate amount of infrastructure spending and upheaval, and government power, esp. at the local/regional level.

No, technology is bringing autonomous cars to the roadways we have NOW. Did you watch the video?

But this was mostly "solved" ~100 years ago, with electric trolleys and commuter trains, but that's so unsexy and plebeian.

No one likes to be bound to a schedule and a particular route. I doubt you've commuted on public transportation, when it's available.
Will

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 18, 2017, 11:43:50 AM
Only when all cars are autonomous would I ever maybe be able to fully relax and, say, sleep in the car while it drives itself.

iknorite   Don't need to fear some idiot driver will hit me.
Will

Soup DeVille

Some of us have different priorities.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 18, 2017, 11:43:50 AM

Dude, I can't sleep in a damned hotel room half the time.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 18, 2017, 12:07:28 PM
Dude, I can't sleep in a damned hotel room half the time.

I hear ya.  I generally don't like sleeping in the car as it is, even with somebody I trust driving.  I'm very much a "driver," probably a control thing.

MX793

I can't sleep in a vehicle.  I can sleep through a fair bit of background noise, but the slightest bump or motion wakes me up.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 18, 2017, 12:05:58 PM
Some of us have different priorities.
Thats not a priority for me personally, just the threshold I've defined. As we move towards Idiocracy, the compulsion to play "Ow, My Balls" will consume mankind. I just want our "go there boxes" to be up to the task.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 18, 2017, 01:45:25 PM
Thats not a priority for me personally, just the threshold I've defined. As we move towards Idiocracy, the compulsion to play "Ow, My Balls" will consume mankind. I just want our "go there boxes" to be up to the task.

So, you defined an impossible standard just to say it can't be done, while ignoring all the interim steps.

Laconian

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 18, 2017, 02:01:25 PM
So, you defined an impossible standard just to say it can't be done, while ignoring all the interim steps.

And blatantly ignoring the statistics that prove that Waymo's cars are already much safer than human driving. The accident rate is 10 times lower than the safest human driver demographic bracket (60-69 years) and 40 times lower than new drivers.

A 4000% improvement? Where is the bar if that number is still unacceptable, or is the objection purely emotional/irrational?

GoCougs

Quote from: Laconian on December 18, 2017, 11:07:37 AM
Like what, specifically?

Unsigned intersections? Unmarked roads? Roundabouts? Differing pavement colors? Dynamic signage? Dead stoplights? Construction zones? Just think of the variation on these issues and many others in our area, now add up possible iterations across the whole of the country...

I have confidence that cars do okay within a given process window, but legitimately replacing a driver for everyday driving on today's roads just isn't going to happen. Infrastructure will have to be homogenized to at least a moderate extent for that to happen.

GoCougs

Quote from: Morris Minor on December 18, 2017, 05:58:23 AM
Trains & trolleys don't take you from where you are to where you want to be.

Some do, like at airports. The train/electric bus/trolley mostly solves the hard issue (narrowing process window ginormously).

Laconian

Quote from: GoCougs on December 18, 2017, 02:18:00 PM
Unsigned intersections? Unmarked roads? Roundabouts? Differing pavement colors? Dynamic signage? Dead stoplights? Construction zones? Just think of the variation on these issues and many others in our area, now add up possible iterations across the whole of the country...

A self driving car will "see" the dead stoplight before most people would, because it knows that a stoplight should be there. Many drivers would breeze right through if they lacked prior direct experience with that intersection. Ditto for unmarked roads. Autonomous cars can do better than people for ambiguous cases given that they will have access to a rich layer of road metadata and geometry data which requires zero public funds to acquire, QA, and serve.

giant_mtb

Quote from: GoCougs on December 18, 2017, 02:23:40 PM
Some do, like at airports. The train/electric bus/trolley mostly solves the hard issue (narrowing process window ginormously).

For cities, sure. 

GoCougs

Quote from: Laconian on December 18, 2017, 02:29:29 PM
A self driving car will "see" the dead stoplight before most people would, because it knows that a stoplight should be there. Many drivers would breeze right through if they lacked prior direct experience with that intersection. Ditto for unmarked roads. Autonomous cars can do better than people for ambiguous cases given that they will have access to a rich layer of road metadata and geometry data which requires zero public funds to acquire, QA, and serve.

Stoplights can be mounted in many places - above the road or on a pole across the intersection on either side, plus there's vertical vs. horizontal, LED vs. incandescent, blinking yellow, vs. solid yellow, arrows or no arrows. None of it is particularly hard, but there is a lot of it, and it sometimes changes.

All in all, I'll see it when I believe it.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 18, 2017, 02:01:25 PM
No, I just wanted to reference "Ow, My Balls!"

Quote from: Laconian on December 18, 2017, 02:14:58 PM
And blatantly ignoring the statistics that prove that Waymo's cars are already much safer than human driving. The accident rate is 10 times lower than the safest human driver demographic bracket (60-69 years) and 40 times lower than new drivers.

A 4000% improvement? Where is the bar if that number is still unacceptable, or is the objection purely emotional/irrational?
Safer in certain conditions. Even their testing in Arizona is fenced in. Bring that shit to the Midtown Tunnel... JFK.... Belt Parkway :lol: And even with this, the tech can't cover everything. I think covering that last gap will take a lot longer than people realize. But reaching level 5 is key IMO.

Morris Minor

The Wikipedia article on autonomous cars is good. It touches on the definition of autonomous that Sporty mentioned above. EG laying a tracking system within road infrastructure to control cars, makes the cars automatic, not autonomous. (So, I guess, does painting white limes for them to follow.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonomous_car

AutobahnSHO

Will

Xer0

That's like what, a 5 minute trip at the most  :lol:

Morris Minor

MATH SAYS YOU'RE DRIVING WRONG AND IT'S SLOWING US ALL DOWN.

AH, THE PHANTOM traffic jam. You know, that thing where the flow suddenly slows to a halt and you inch forward for a half hour and then things pick up again and you look around for an accident or construction or anything at all for Pete's sake that might justify the time you just wasted. But no, nothing. It's as if the fates chose this particular time and place to screw with you.

The question is, why? People tailgating and bunching up, maybe. But a new study in IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems mathematically models the implications of the larger problem: You're not keeping the right distance from the car behind you.

Read on...
https://www.wired.com/story/math-says-youre-driving-wrong-and-its-slowing-us-all-down/

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

AutobahnSHO

Two riders of an autonomous car went to the hospital.

A small human-driven box truck ran a red light and T-boned them.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/01/10/argo-ai-self-driving-test-car-hit-in-pittsburgh-as-truck-runs-red-light/
Will