Autonomous Cars

Started by AutobahnSHO, October 08, 2015, 08:53:13 AM

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CaminoRacer on February 09, 2018, 09:59:41 AM
Will autonomous cars have an option for driving style? Tailgater, left-lane hogger, newly licensed 16 year old...

If you want to go full dystopia, how fast your car gets places may be dependant on how much you pay in "right of way" fees.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 09, 2018, 10:15:48 AM
If you want to go full dystopia, how fast your car gets places may be dependant on how much you pay in "right of way" fees.

take out the "may"...

"Get out of the way, I'm a tier 12 hire" says the Autocar.
"Ok," say the rest of them.
"BOOYA!" says the hacked tier 5000 car. (Max is 15)
Will

Soup DeVille

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on February 09, 2018, 11:14:38 AM
take out the "may"...

"Get out of the way, I'm a tier 12 hire" says the Autocar.
"Ok," say the rest of them.
"BOOYA!" says the hacked tier 5000 car. (Max is 15)

There would of course need to be an "emergency response vehicle" tier...
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 09, 2018, 12:15:10 PM
There would of course need to be an “emergency response vehicle” tier...

15 ;)
Will

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 09, 2018, 12:15:10 PM
There would of course need to be an "emergency response vehicle" tier...
Quote from: AutobahnSHO on February 09, 2018, 12:20:02 PM
15 ;)

Nah, the tier will depend on the patient's pre-determined/pre-paid "Emergency response package"
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

shp4man

We'll, I take comfort in the fact that if there is an EMP attack or some electronic hack of modern cars, it won't affect me at all.
;)

Morris Minor

Perhaps this is a case for open sourcing all vehicle autonomy software.  Millions of eyes scrutinizing & auditing the source code...
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Morris Minor on February 10, 2018, 06:33:09 AM
Perhaps this is a case for open sourcing all vehicle autonomy software.  Millions of eyes scrutinizing & auditing the source code...

+1

Problem is no one will want to share their work.
Will

Morris Minor

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on February 10, 2018, 06:33:40 AM
+1

Problem is no one will want to share their work.
If you're Ford or GM - paying big dollars to heavy-hitting software engineers - you don't want cold-pizza eating malodorous cellar dwellers from Croatia or somewhere finding flaws in your precious code.

Onslaught

They need to hold off for another 20 years until I'm not working.
bah weep granah weep nini bon

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Onslaught on February 10, 2018, 10:58:37 AM

I don't think you have anything to worry about. There will still be cars to fix, and the guys that hold onto theirs will be more willing to have them repaired.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Onslaught on February 10, 2018, 10:58:37 AM
Wow, welcome back.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

AutobahnSHO

Even the Russians are looking towards the future. Fun video of WINTER driving in the city:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx08yRsR9ow
Will

12,000 RPM

giant_mtb

Heavy snowfall?  The roads are clear... :huh:

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 17, 2018, 09:26:36 AM
Heavy snowfall?  The roads are clear... :huh:

that's in the other video I posted many moons ago, rural white covered roads (Norway?)
Will

Morris Minor

Morris Jr has started his Udacity nanodegree course in this (autonomous cars). I think I'm more pumped than he is.

Morris Minor

Not full autonomy, but most of the driver-assist systems rely on lane markings: they need those clean, crisp, clear lines. This is fine if the roads are well-maintained, but plenty of roads here in Georgia have old worn, low-contrast markings, and this state has a road-friendly mild climate. I'm guessing it's even less wonderful in colder parts of the country.

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/165320-what-is-lane-departure-warning-and-how-does-it-work

12,000 RPM

I am trying to think how I process lane placement. These autonomous guys need to set up shop in NYC. If an autonomous car can navigate any of the toll lines and bridges/tunnels of NYC everything else will be a breeze.

Laconian

Quote from: Morris Minor on February 20, 2018, 02:36:22 PM
Not full autonomy, but most of the driver-assist systems rely on lane markings: they need those clean, crisp, clear lines. This is fine if the roads are well-maintained, but plenty of roads here in Georgia have old worn, low-contrast markings, and this state has a road-friendly mild climate. I'm guessing it's even less wonderful in colder parts of the country.

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/165320-what-is-lane-departure-warning-and-how-does-it-work

All the vendors are getting millimeter-accuracy lidar mappings of roads. You can combine GPS with sensor data to get a very precise fix on the road and only falling back on sensor-driven dead reckoning when that fails (probably still very good given access to highly accurate wheel position and speed data) Human drivers can only use visual dead reckoning.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Morris Minor on February 20, 2018, 02:36:22 PM

Few pages back though I posted a video of a car driving itself on 100% snow-covered roads. There was no traffic but it's all coming along.
Will

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Laconian on February 20, 2018, 02:45:27 PM
All the vendors are getting millimeter-accuracy lidar mappings of roads. You can combine GPS with sensor data to get a very precise fix on the road and only falling back on sensor-driven dead reckoning when that fails (probably still very good given access to highly accurate wheel position and speed data) Human drivers can only use visual dead reckoning.

Visual has to be a part of it. Construction zones change lane locations and have weird markings. There are also tiny two lane roads across the country that might have the shoulder break off and erode down the hill. Can't just rely on mapping for that.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Laconian

The Waymo Pacifica parked next to me again today. Whirrrrrr

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on February 22, 2018, 01:44:14 PM
The Waymo Pacifica parked next to me again today. Whirrrrrr

you have a cyber stalker  :mask:
Will

Laconian

The shitters! I'm being plagued by the minivan version of Christine!

MexicoCityM3

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Laconian

Yeah, I think a more risk avoidant rollout makes a lot of sense for this type of technology.

I am happy that Tesla is pushing the envelope though.

AutobahnSHO

Ruh roh!!   We'll have to wash cars more often, and more carefully.

The amount of dirt on our cars here in the winter is obscene. We were laughing though a few weeks back when the line for an automatic car wash was out onto the street- and it was forecast to snow a bunch the next day.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/for-self-driving-cars-car-washes-are-a-nightmare/ar-BBJtkR7?li=AA4Zoy&ocid=ientp
Will

giant_mtb

People are stupid about washing their cars in the winter.  Everybody goes to the car wash when it's warm and sunny...when all the roads are wet, sloppy, dirty messes.  It's like taking a shower before you go play in the mud. 

Soup DeVille

Its more about getting the salt off than staying clean.