How do tickets work for foreigners?

Started by Secret Chimp, December 16, 2005, 10:17:56 PM

Secret Chimp

I've been wondering what happens when you get a ticket in a country you're not a citizen of.
I'd imagine that if say, you rented a car in England, the rental agency either holds on to your passport or just charges whatever fines you get to the credit card you rented your car with.

What happens if somehow you buy a beater and insure it for a month or something? (I've heard of short-term insurance like that in Britain, perhaps some other parts of Europe) What happens if you rack up a few speeding or moving violation type things? Is there some kind of trans-continental method of collecting, or after you're on a plane or whatever, are you home free?

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

TurboDan

Well, I sure wouldn't hand my passport over to some car rental joint, that's for sure!  ;)

The car rental agency has nothing to do with the ticket.  If you got a ticket while driving your friend's car, it'd still be YOUR ticket.  Europe does have more speed cameras than the U.S., so the rental agency would charge that to your credit card, I'm sure.

Most countries have laws that require you to get some type of license if you're going to be driving in the country for more than 90 days.  If you get a ticket while on vacation or something like that, you're still expected to pay it, but I'm sure many people never bother since there is really next to nothing they could ever do to you if you ignore it.

That applies to U.S. citizens carrying American licenses.  The E.U. has a standardized license as of 1998, so I'm sure there is ticket reciprocity between countries there.  I believe Ireland is the only EU member that does not use the EU licenses, for some reason.

Secret Chimp

Yeah, I was just thinking of vacations, not moving to England and using Germany as my country to use disabled spots all the time or something ;P

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Rupert

I bet they'd give you a lot of shit for being from another country, even though the only thing they could do that would stick is arrest you...
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

dazzleman

I imagine it's similar to many out-of-state tickets.  Many of these tickets are 'freebees' in that you only have to worry about the fine, and not the points.

I would say that with a foreign country, it's best to know the laws before you go, because things that could only result in a ticket here could result in you being taken off in cuffs in some foreign country.  Always be more careful when operating off your own turf.  Don't assume that same rules as we have at home apply.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

saxonyron

I got bagged with photoradar in Germany once - didn't slow down from Autobahn speeds quickly enough entering a slow section thru a town.  Never got a ticket or any notice from any one.  Also got a parking ticket in Stuttgart about 15 yrs ago.  Never paid it - but I've been afraid to go to Stuttgart ever since - those Swabians can hold a grudge!!  :lol:

I'd be careful though - with instant processing of information today, they could get your info to the rental agency before you return the car.  You might wind up paying some fines that 10 yrs ago would never have caught up with you.  I do doubt that it would count on your US points though.  That would be insane.

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

cawimmer430

QuoteI've been afraid to go to Stuttgart ever since - those Swabians can hold a grudge!!  :lol:
Awww damn...now I'll never convince you to buy a Benz.  :lol:  
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Autobahn

Haha Saxonyron - yes we swabians  :lol: I remember your face in a police station on one of those "this guy ows us 10 Euros" posters  :P

If you rent a car all traffic camera tickets are reported to the owner of the car - the rental agency which will be happy to forward the charges to anywhere in the world (or deduct it from your credit card).

If you register a car in Germany (I guess it's the same anywhere in Europe) you have to give your adress, so they will send any tickets there.

If you get pulled over and were so fast that you would have gotten a license revocation, in Germany it costs you the double fine if you are a resident of a foreign country (for example the US) that doesn't have a license revocation agreement with Germany.

They can't enforce tickets outside of the EU though (not even in all countries in the EU). But I know that they have lists for unpaid tickets in Switzerland, and if you want to enter again this can mean big trouble. (So other countries may have this too)

The best thing to do is, go to Germany buy a PDA-based GPS, download all stationary speed camera data so it warns you of those. Make sure to not speed under bridges or in front of E-Classes, Omegas and A6s or search for unlimited Autobahn stretches --> have fun! But keep right if the right lane is empty even at 240 km/h!  :wave:  

dazzleman

QuoteHaha Saxonyron - yes we swabians  :lol: I remember your face in a police station on one of those "this guy ows us 10 Euros" posters  :P

If you rent a car all traffic camera tickets are reported to the owner of the car - the rental agency which will be happy to forward the charges to anywhere in the world (or deduct it from your credit card).

If you register a car in Germany (I guess it's the same anywhere in Europe) you have to give your adress, so they will send any tickets there.

If you get pulled over and were so fast that you would have gotten a license revocation, in Germany it costs you the double fine if you are a resident of a foreign country (for example the US) that doesn't have a license revocation agreement with Germany.

They can't enforce tickets outside of the EU though (not even in all countries in the EU). But I know that they have lists for unpaid tickets in Switzerland, and if you want to enter again this can mean big trouble. (So other countries may have this too)

The best thing to do is, go to Germany buy a PDA-based GPS, download all stationary speed camera data so it warns you of those. Make sure to not speed under bridges or in front of E-Classes, Omegas and A6s or search for unlimited Autobahn stretches --> have fun! But keep right if the right lane is empty even at 240 km/h!  :wave:
Give the poor guy amnesty -- he's got 5 kids to support.  I know his crimes were heinous, but he's reformed now.  Have you no mercy????  :lol:  
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!