MK7 Golf rental

Started by 12,000 RPM, October 28, 2015, 07:23:46 PM

12,000 RPM

Civic is in the shop and I got this from Enterprise. Really cool.

Pros:
- Infotainment has come a long way. BT audio quality is very cool. Hop in the car and my music starts playing :lol: Loads of tech even in the base model.
- Interior quality is great. Feels like an Audi.
- 1.8 TSI engine is pretty good. Hums along between 1000-2000 RPM.
- Trunk is surprisingly huge. Maybe like 80% of my Civic with the cover on.
- Handling is a lot better than my wife's car. I feel like her car needs new bushings or something. Brakes are tighter too. Steering ratio is quicker. Feels a bit lighter on its feet
- Feels substantial without being ponderous

Cons:
- It's bigger, but the back seat is about the same as my car or my wife's car
- Transmission is better than my wife's car but still pretty sluggish. Paddles are nice.

Overall I'm pretty impressed. I will see what the gas mileage is over my commute tomorrow. It's really nice.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

AutobahnSHO

civic dun died?...        (kidding, hope it's nothing big)
Will

12,000 RPM

Naw just a nagging A/C issue. Speaking of which I need to call them, they never told me what was up.

This thing is deceptively fast! So quiet and so much low end torque. And I'm averaging 28 MPG on regular. I'm impressed

ifcar

Cool that this would end up in a rental fleet. You lucked out!

12,000 RPM

Yea its pretty sweet for a rental car. I am starting to miss my Civic though. This thing has real punch but it's almost like a luxury car. It gets up to speed so effortlessly, but the engine has zero character outside of its punchy ass torque. I feel like the Civic is just a hair slower, but you have to work for it, and it's way more rewarding. I have to give it to the Golf though.... the chassis is solid and sorted. I pushed a little bit and it held on, but man did it not give anything back but grip and security. My Civic is a little sloppier and the tires are shit.... but you can feel whats going on through your fingertips and it's lighter on its feet. Weird juxtaposition. If not for the upcoming Tiguan the Golf wagon would be a serious wifey car contender

Xer0

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 29, 2015, 04:57:49 PM
Yea its pretty sweet for a rental car. I am starting to miss my Civic though. This thing has real punch but it's almost like a luxury car. It gets up to speed so effortlessly, but the engine has zero character outside of its punchy ass torque. I feel like the Civic is just a hair slower, but you have to work for it, and it's way more rewarding. I have to give it to the Golf though.... the chassis is solid and sorted. I pushed a little bit and it held on, but man did it not give anything back but grip and security. My Civic is a little sloppier and the tires are shit.... but you can feel whats going on through your fingertips and it's lighter on its feet. Weird juxtaposition. If not for the upcoming Tiguan the Golf wagon would be a serious wifey car contender

I'm as big of a Civic fanboy as they come and I feel like you're giving the 8th gen Civic too much credit.  I had an 08 LX before my Si, albiet with an auto, and nothing about that car stuck out as particularly great, especially the engine which was just kind of meh.  To each their own I guess.

12,000 RPM

The LX is wack. IIRC no swaybars, or much weaker ones. Auto sucks what little soul the engine has out. My car is not a top 10 driver's car but it's fun. I enjoy driving it. It's every bit as good as the old DWB Hondas people bust nuts over.

Xer0

Before I bought the 08, my dad gave me a hand-me-down 1995 EX which had those DWB.  Man, that car was fun.

12,000 RPM

I have driven a lot of DWB Hondas. Maybe I am just projecting. But the essence is still there IMO.

Cookie Monster

What's DWB?

Ah, double wishbone I'm guessing.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

cawimmer430

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 28, 2015, 07:23:46 PM
Civic is in the shop...

I stopped reading here.

Total BS. Japanese cars don't ever visit the shop. Fact.

:lol:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

12,000 RPM

Quote from: thecarnut on October 29, 2015, 08:54:07 PM
What's DWB?

Yea. Honda really botched the 7th gens (2001-2005) but they fixed the hell out of the 8th. Suspension wise it's just as good IMO. Struts: good enough for Porsche and BMW :lol:

2o6

12,000 RPM

Anyone near my area is free to come drive it and prove me wrong

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 30, 2015, 09:30:46 AM
Anyone near my area is free to come drive it and prove me wrong

LOL I don't wanna scare you  :mrcool:
Will

Raza

Mk7s are great cars.  My roommate has the GTI. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Laconian

Quote from: thecarnut on October 29, 2015, 08:54:07 PM
What's DWB?

Driving While Bonered
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

AutobahnSHO

Will