The importance of the status symbol aspect of vehicle ownership.

Started by shp4man, October 30, 2015, 09:33:06 AM

giant_mtb

In a lot of ways, I was happy to drop the inherent douchebaggery I felt as a 23 year old (I mean, I'm 25 now, but I got the damn thing when I was 20 lol) driving an Audi around in a town where the average income is like $33k.  Plenty of people spend far more money on their vehicles than I did (like brand new trucks, for instance), but many people and friends that complimented me on the vehicle talked about it like it was some $60,000 luxomobile.  I didn't like that at all...it was a base model A4 for cripe's sake.  How could you afford that Audi?!?!  I dunno, how did you afford a fucking fully loaded 1/2-ton Chebby?

Now I drive a Tacoma with Hercufenders and don't give many fucks what people think.  I like the truck and it's clean.  I don't feel like a douche for accepting compliments on it because people's first question isn't "how did you afford that?!" which is a rude question to begin with.

Laconian

Pretty much the same feeling here. I grew up middle class and I feel very uncomfortable in upper class trappings.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Rupert

Sometimes I let people think what they want when I say that I drive a Porsche. Other times, it's no, see, it's old, and it's the cheapest one, and it was $5000.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

giant_mtb

Quote from: Rupert on October 31, 2015, 01:25:08 PM
Sometimes I let people think what they want when I say that I drive a Porsche. Other times, it's no, see, it's old, and it's the cheapest one, and it was $5000.

Pickin' up girls like

Yeah, I've got a Porsche at home.
You do?! Can I go home with you and see it and then sleep with you?
Well, I mean, the thing's older than you are and cost less than your Civic, so...
Oh...uhhhhhhh, I'm gonna go back to my group of friends now.

Rupert

Girls love classic cars as long as you aren't a dbag about it.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Laconian

Do you ever visit the Seattle area anymore? I want to try your car ;)

Rupert

Heh, I do, but it's been for work or in my other car the last bunch of times.

Laconian

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Rupert

Quote from: Laconian on October 31, 2015, 03:19:00 PM
Well, give me a holler either way..

Word. I haven't been in town for any length of time for while, except when I already had a packed day last August.

Raza

Quote from: shp4man on October 30, 2015, 09:33:06 AM
Is the status symbol aspect of vehicle ownership more important than the function or cost/performance ratio to you?
Are the luxury brand vehicles actually worth the added cost? Is a Lexus better than a Toyota? Lincoln better than a Ford? Is a Mercedes really a better vehicle than a Buick? Or even a Dodge?
My feeling is that the luxury brands are taking advantage of peoples need to feel superior in some way. Of course, that's an age old game with the manufacturers. I'm surprised some people can't see through it.

Yes, those cars are better. That's no question. Don't be ridiculous.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: Rupert on October 31, 2015, 12:36:35 AM
Yeah, I don't think politeness of the dealer service relationship is really a factor when buying a new car for very many people.

Yeah, it is. I've walked out of dealers when I wasn't treated right, so have my parents, so have many people I know. Not even all luxury dealers. There's a notoriously bad Honda dealer near me and I know a Honda family that goes out of their way to avoid that dealer.

And as far as service (earlier paragraph was referring mostly to sales, I misread your post), it does count. My Mercedes dealer, for example, had a horrible service department that soured me (partially) on the brand (but I've seen other dealers that are much better). Pickup, drop off, politeness, lots of things count. Luxury drivers spend a lot of money and don't want to be treated like they're just customers.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 31, 2015, 02:08:29 AM
Whether or not you call it status, almost everybody cares to some extent about the image the car they drive projects. That doesn't mean necessarily that everybody's a badge snob, but just as one chooses to dress a certain way, one chooses to be seen in a certain kind of car; and most of the time practicality is at best a second thought.

almost every pair of pants serves the same practical purpose; just as nearly every car will serve the same basic purpose. But we don't want just utility; we want something more than to keep our ass covered and we want something more than basic transportation- even if we don't necessarily need it.

This is pretty much spot on. For example, I don't care about the "BMW"ness of my car, but love the "sports car"ness of it. Even with the Volkswagens, they had a particular image as well, and I dug that too, but it wasn't badge snobbery (at least not in the traditional sense).

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: Laconian on October 31, 2015, 12:56:34 PM
Few of my family or peers drive luxury cars. I don't like being the guy that does (even if it's a pseudo-lux Nissan ;) )

That's weirdly image-conscious of you. I never thought of you as being so peer-pressured.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Rupert

Quote from: Raza  on October 31, 2015, 04:39:17 PM
Yeah, it is. I've walked out of dealers when I wasn't treated right, so have my parents, so have many people I know. Not even all luxury dealers. There's a notoriously bad Honda dealer near me and I know a Honda family that goes out of their way to avoid that dealer.

That's quite silly. Car dealers are by and large assholes, whether or not you feel pampered (sorry JWC).

Raza

Quote from: Rupert on October 31, 2015, 04:48:38 PM
That's quite silly. Car dealers are by and large assholes, whether or not you feel pampered (sorry JWC).

It's also a large market. If you choose to be treated like shit, that's on you. Why deal with shitty service when 20 minutes away there's a dealer that treats you better?

And, as Ro pointed out, great service really helped put Lexus on the map. So, clearly, people do care.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on October 31, 2015, 05:43:14 PM
It's also a large market. If you choose to be treated like shit, that's on you. Why deal with shitty service when 20 minutes away there's a dealer that treats you better?

And, as Ro pointed out, great service really helped put Lexus on the map. So, clearly, people do care.
Because for many people, better service isn't 20 minutes away. Especially for luxury brands.

And Lexus building a better car than the S-Class for what I'm guessing is like half the money at the time is what put the on the map. Service helped for sure but the product was in the driver's seat.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MX793

Around here, particularly with premium brands, you generally have to travel 50+ miles to get to the next nearest dealer.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 31, 2015, 11:56:23 AM
No swipes, but why?

The brand recognition/snob factor is part of the experience. Answering "an M5" when asked say, at a party, what do I drive - does have a nice ring to it. I do enjoy it.

It is not my main reason to own it but it is A reason. I give that recognition as well to others. If someone says "I drive a 911" I'll put on my "impressed, well done" face as well. I don't mind making that person feel a bit better too.

Not a big deal, but it is nice both ways.

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

CALL_911

Quote from: MX793 on October 31, 2015, 08:00:53 PM
Around here, particularly with premium brands, you generally have to travel 50+ miles to get to the next nearest dealer.

?

Aren't you close to downtown Syracuse? There's any dealer I could ask for (except maybe like Tesla or Lotus or something) within 10-15 minutes of where I live. Even in Binghamton, same deal. The VW dealer was a 10 minute drive away, and right next to it was a Chevy dealer and a BMW dealer.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Soup DeVille

It's all in whether or not you want your bullshitn candy coated.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MX793

Quote from: CALL_911 on October 31, 2015, 09:56:14 PM
?

Aren't you close to downtown Syracuse? There's any dealer I could ask for (except maybe like Tesla or Lotus or something) within 10-15 minutes of where I live. Even in Binghamton, same deal. The VW dealer was a 10 minute drive away, and right next to it was a Chevy dealer and a BMW dealer.

I meant if you're not happy with the nearest dealer, it's 50+ miles to the next dealer.  There's 1 BMW or Audi or MB dealer in the area.  If you buy a Bimmer and find you don't like the service, you're driving an hour or more to the next closest.

Also, oddly, there isn't a Jag dealer locally.  Nor a Mini dealer.  Nearest for either is over an hour away.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Lebowski

Quote from: Rupert on October 31, 2015, 12:36:35 AM

Yeah, I don't think politeness of the dealer service relationship is really a factor when buying a new car for very many people.

Many people absolutely do care.  Service is not just politeness, luxury dealers are generally cleaner, less crowded, more likely to provide a loaner (and it's a nicer one) or if there's a shuttle there's less wait time for it.  Some people care about shit like free car washes, free food etc.  My BMW dealer has a chef that will make an omelette or eggs to order ... I personally don't really care about 'perks' like that, I just want to drop off my car and get out of there as quickly as possible, but some people apparently do.

AutobahnSHO

Sorry but I'm not at all impressed by bmw or MB.. In Germany they are just another car. Nice trims of course are sweet.
Will

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Lebowski on November 01, 2015, 07:21:38 AM

Many people absolutely do care.  Service is not just politeness, luxury dealers are generally cleaner, less crowded, more likely to provide a loaner (and it's a nicer one) or if there's a shuttle there's less wait time for it.  Some people care about shit like free car washes, free food etc.  My BMW dealer has a chef that will make an omelette or eggs to order ... I personally don't really care about 'perks' like that, I just want to drop off my car and get out of there as quickly as possible, but some people apparently do.
Omelette chef? Lol. I think most people are like you. If a dealer has its customers sitting around all day in its "executive lounge", the perks are kind of irrelevant- the service sucks. I think mainstream service has come a long way, especially when you compare it to independent shop service. I took the Civic to an independent shop (big mistake, never again) the first time.... I had to walk there and back, they got their completion time wrong and didn't even fix the problem. Compared to the Honda dealer I went to.... they gave me a free loaner, had me in there no longer than an hour total and actually fixed the problem. Last point is key but the rest is good too. I dont know what more a dealership can do that actually matters. Service quality is defined by convenience IMO.

CALL_911

Quote from: MX793 on November 01, 2015, 06:45:42 AM
I meant if you're not happy with the nearest dealer, it's 50+ miles to the next dealer.  There's 1 BMW or Audi or MB dealer in the area.  If you buy a Bimmer and find you don't like the service, you're driving an hour or more to the next closest.

Also, oddly, there isn't a Jag dealer locally.  Nor a Mini dealer.  Nearest for either is over an hour away.
That would explain why MINI of Rochester advertises at the mall

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 31, 2015, 06:00:41 PM
Because for many people, better service isn't 20 minutes away. Especially for luxury brands.

And Lexus building a better car than the S-Class for what I'm guessing is like half the money at the time is what put the on the map. Service helped for sure but the product was in the driver's seat.

Quote from: MX793 on October 31, 2015, 08:00:53 PM

Fair point. I did momentarily forget how sparse much of this country is.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SJ_GTI

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 01, 2015, 09:03:34 AM
Omelette chef? Lol. I think most people are like you. If a dealer has its customers sitting around all day in its "executive lounge", the perks are kind of irrelevant- the service sucks. I think mainstream service has come a long way, especially when you compare it to independent shop service. I took the Civic to an independent shop (big mistake, never again) the first time.... I had to walk there and back, they got their completion time wrong and didn't even fix the problem. Compared to the Honda dealer I went to.... they gave me a free loaner, had me in there no longer than an hour total and actually fixed the problem. Last point is key but the rest is good too. I dont know what more a dealership can do that actually matters. Service quality is defined by convenience IMO.

The Audi dealer where I take my car for service here in South Jersey is a bit on the cheap side in my experience. They are part of a big auto mall though, so I think that is why.

The nice thing is they do always give me a loaner, which is the important thing for me. At least around these parts, most mainstream dealer do NOT give out loaners. Getting one from a Honda dealer would be rare IMHO.

When I had an Audi while living in Montreal the dealer I went to was more like what Lebowski described. Everything felt "upscale" and they had free ford/etc... That kind of stuff is nice enough but not something I would likely make a purchase decision on.

12,000 RPM

It was a free rental from a nearby Enterprise (VW Golf). I will bet it depends on the level of service you are getting too.

FlatBlackCaddy

I've never liked any of the status or stereotypes that any of my cars portrayed, either positive or negative.

I've joked with friends that if I could own a ferrari that to everyone else just looked like a yugo I'd be fine with it.