The importance of the status symbol aspect of vehicle ownership.

Started by shp4man, October 30, 2015, 09:33:06 AM

Rupert

Quote from: SJ_GTI on November 02, 2015, 08:47:11 AM
The Audi dealer where I take my car for service here in South Jersey is a bit on the cheap side in my experience. They are part of a big auto mall though, so I think that is why.

The nice thing is they do always give me a loaner, which is the important thing for me. At least around these parts, most mainstream dealer do NOT give out loaners. Getting one from a Honda dealer would be rare IMHO.

When I had an Audi while living in Montreal the dealer I went to was more like what Lebowski described. Everything felt "upscale" and they had free ford/etc... That kind of stuff is nice enough but not something I would likely make a purchase decision on.

I dunno, free Fords seems like a pretty nice perk.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

GoCougs

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 31, 2015, 02:08:29 AM
Whether or not you call it status, almost everybody cares to some extent about the image the car they drive projects. That doesn't mean necessarily that everybody's a badge snob, but just as one chooses to dress a certain way, one chooses to be seen in a certain kind of car; and most of the time practicality is at best a second thought.

almost every pair of pants serves the same practical purpose; just as nearly every car will serve the same basic purpose. But we don't want just utility; we want something more than to keep our ass covered and we want something more than basic transportation- even if we don't necessarily need it.

Nice car is akin to nice clothes.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on November 02, 2015, 07:19:12 PM
I've never liked any of the status or stereotypes that any of my cars portrayed, either positive or negative.

I've joked with friends that if I could own a ferrari that to everyone else just looked like a yugo I'd be fine with it.

I think a Yugo is pretty cool

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on November 02, 2015, 07:57:37 PM
Indeed, neither really means anything in the grand scheme of things, and people spend way too much money on both a lot of the time.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Morris Minor

Quote from: GoCougs on November 02, 2015, 07:57:37 PM

Absolutely. Rationality, more often than not, doesn't govern our buying decisions. What we want vs what we need is what keeps the economy going.

I think as you more comfortable in your skin, your need to be seen in luxury/near-luxury brands, goes down.

I always think of the Toyota Avalon as a rational choice for those wanting a large luxury sedan, but they're a rare sight compared with Lexii. 
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

MrH

I like to think I don't care what people think of my cars. But the other day, one of my employees thought my Genesis was an Audi. Just didn't sit right with me that my employees were thinking I was driving some expensive Audi and not my bargain Korean car.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 03, 2015, 05:39:29 AM
Indeed, neither really means anything in the grand scheme of things, and people spend way too much money on both a lot of the time.

It does mean something in as much it has been scientifically proven time and again that people get treated differently all the time based on how they look and what they wear.

I am a big fan of Kahneman's "Thinking Fast and Slow". There is a great chapter in there about "The Halo Effect".

I firmly believe that in a lot of situations I do get better outcomes if people perceive me in a certain way. And all this "status" symbols come into play, like it or not. Not every time, but more than enough to make it worth it.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on November 03, 2015, 11:29:32 AM
It does mean something in as much it has been scientifically proven time and again that people get treated differently all the time based on how they look and what they wear.

I am a big fan of Kahneman's "Thinking Fast and Slow". There is a great chapter in there about "The Halo Effect".

I firmly believe that in a lot of situations I do get better outcomes if people perceive me in a certain way. And all this "status" symbols come into play, like it or not. Not every time, but more than enough to make it worth it.
I don't disagree that appearance has an effect on treatment by society, and people should take care and pride in their appearance. But I don't think an American Airlines attendant can tell the difference between a Canali sport coat and a well tailored JC Penney special if you know what I'm saying. People assign way too much value to appearances, even when factoring how they affect how they affect one's treatment. IMO for whatever it's worth I don't really want people to treat me nicely because they like my stuff so maybe I am just coming at it from too far in that direction.

GoCougs

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on November 03, 2015, 11:29:32 AM

This is reality.

Pride in appearance tracks with self-esteem and mental health but of course it has limits. Also, more expensive clothes are higher quality - comfort, durability and fit, esp. shoes.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 03, 2015, 11:48:14 AM
IMO for whatever it's worth I don't really want people to treat me nicely because they like my stuff so maybe I am just coming at it from too far in that direction.

It would be a better world, but it ain't.

My thinking today is that every little edge helps in business, so why not take advantage of the effect all these symbols have on a lot of people? I've come around to thinking this way in the past 3-4 years only. I used to wear a ponytail and (thought that I did) not care much about this stuff.

Quote from: GoCougs on November 03, 2015, 12:15:50 PM
This is reality.

Pride in appearance tracks with self-esteem and mental health but of course it has limits. Also, more expensive clothes are higher quality - comfort, durability and fit, esp. shoes.

I noticeably started improving my appearance a little after my divorce, so my experience is in line with what you say here.

'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

GoCougs

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on November 03, 2015, 12:20:21 PM
I noticeably started improving my appearance a little after my divorce, so my experience is in line with what you say here.

I used to be cheap when it came to clothes. I now spend a fair amount on clothes - not really expensive like $1,000 shoes or $5,000 jacket but still pretty nice. I don't have a ton of fancier stuff as the Seattle area is super casual. I do have a fair amount of nice jeans, shirts and shoes though.

12,000 RPM

I am still cheap when it comes to clothes, but I am super particular about fit. I size things right, tailor things as needed and now have been keeping my weight in check. That goes way further than expensive stuff... I can shut the city down in a dingy Hanes tee, some $50 Uniqlo jeans and some laceless Chucks :praise:

AutobahnSHO

I used to super-cheap-out on clothes, but have come to buy a few things I like now and again. Unfortunately I wear regular clothes so little (work uniforms are most of my waking hours mon-fri) I have a hard time buying anything but comfy housewear for myself...
Will

ChrisV

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 03, 2015, 12:54:07 PM
I am still cheap when it comes to clothes, but I am super particular about fit. I size things right, tailor things as needed and now have been keeping my weight in check. That goes way further than expensive stuff... I can shut the city down in a dingy Hanes tee, some $50 Uniqlo jeans and some laceless Chucks :praise:

But it's still about appearances, and you probably wouldn't wear those when it came time to go on a business interview.

And to someone else's point, you may not care about status with cars, but I'll bet there is something you care about status in, even if it's within your peer group and wear clothes that fit them, or cut your hair in a way that you think looks good, or bathe and wear deodorant in order to appear non-slobbish.

The saying "clothes makes the man" works in social groups and between social groups, and with clothes, homes, jobs, cars, etc. Anyone who claims to not care about that at least to some level is at least lying to themselves.

That being said, yes, I do think about appearances and perceptions when choosing a car or clothes or home improvements, or haircuts, or cologne... With a car it may not be the top priority, but it is definitely a factor and partly why my money was spent on the E38 instead of a boring Camry.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

12,000 RPM

Quote from: ChrisV on November 09, 2015, 02:07:39 PM
But it's still about appearances, and you probably wouldn't wear those when it came time to go on a business interview.

And to someone else's point, you may not care about status with cars, but I'll bet there is something you care about status in, even if it's within your peer group and wear clothes that fit them, or cut your hair in a way that you think looks good, or bathe and wear deodorant in order to appear non-slobbish.

The saying "clothes makes the man" works in social groups and between social groups, and with clothes, homes, jobs, cars, etc. Anyone who claims to not care about that at least to some level is at least lying to themselves.

That being said, yes, I do think about appearances and perceptions when choosing a car or clothes or home improvements, or haircuts, or cologne... With a car it may not be the top priority, but it is definitely a factor and partly why my money was spent on the E38 instead of a boring Camry.
I can't change cars like I change clothes though so that's not really a good analogy. I'm not saying appearance doesn't matter to me- that's a huge part of why I go to the gym, for example. I just find the active pursuit of status, in general but particularly through materialism, to be a little silly and self destructive.... not to mention, not really meaningful in our current era of easy credit. A last gen S550 can be had for $20K and financed for 8 yrs. Depending on where you are and how little you care about school districts you can live in a McMansion in a major city for not a lot of money. Etc. A lot of stuff related to status can be quasi faked or leveraged to the hilt, which is by design. I find it all to be kind of a waste of time.

But who knows, maybe in some way status is important to me. IDK. I definitely like to associate with a certain caliber of people in real life who are in about the same socioeconomic realm and mindset as me.... not so much cause of our stuff but just because I find those kinds of folks easier to relate to.

And a ~14 y/o Bimmer is only a status item to other car geeks (no swipes).

12,000 RPM

OK, I can think of two recent instances of where I had "stuff" that impressed somebody. I have a pair of boots.... Wolverine 1000 Miles.... they look like shit, kind of. A friend of mine called them "World War II boots" :lol: But they are solid and I like them. I was out at a bar and someone asked me about them. They seemed really impressed. Other time, I just got a new camera I was talking to a friend about and he was like "whoa when'd you get that????" But I got it cause I really wanted the camera.

Lot of times I'm embarrased about big status stuff. Our house is a little silly, but I love living in it. And like I said I really felt like a douchebag sometimes in the Z, but it looked so sexy and drove nicely. I enjoyed it. I think that's kind of my point. There has to be something about "stuff" besides it impressing other people IMO otherwise it might be a problem.

ChrisV

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 09, 2015, 02:43:51 PM

Oh, I agree. I often say that when people think I bought a BMW for status. Like a 150k mile, 15 year old BMW is a status symbol to anyone but guys who know what it actually is (and even then, only a minor one). But then again, a lot of people just see the badge and think it's expensive and a status symbol anyhow. Can't win.

ChrisV

I can't change cars like I change clothes though so that's not really a good analogy.

It just means you end up thinking longer and harder about the image you want to portray when driving, as it's harder to change it once you've made the decision. Even if you're buying the car primarily for your use and enjoyment, how that car is perceived is still going to be a factor, positively or negatively in your decision to own it.

ifcar

It's funny -- there seem to be two attitudes that non-car-people people take, and I know people personally who are in both camps. Some treat all luxury cars the same regardless of age, and some treat all old cars the same regardless of luxury. Both seem to be surprised that anyone else feels differently.

About the cars/clothes analogy, I think it does work fairly well. Both cars and clothes convey an image about a person -- and there's no objective measure of what clothes or cars are simply "better." There are just different styles, and just as some people would feel wrong in certain types of expensive clothes, they'd feel wrong in certain types of expensive cars. A Camry doesn't project an image of "I don't care about life" so much as "I don't care about cars," or even more intentionally as "I am someone who doesn't buy flashy things."

Byteme

Quote from: shp4man on October 30, 2015, 09:33:06 AM
Is the status symbol aspect of vehicle ownership more important than the function or cost/performance ratio to you?
Are the luxury brand vehicles actually worth the added cost? Is a Lexus better than a Toyota? Lincoln better than a Ford? Is a Mercedes really a better vehicle than a Buick? Or even a Dodge?
My feeling is that the luxury brands are taking advantage of peoples need to feel superior in some way. Of course, that's an age old game with the manufacturers. I'm surprised some people can't see through it.

I couldn't care less about the status of owning and driving certain vehicles.   I've always bought and driven what I like not what I think makes me look good.

compare that to a friend who agonized for months over what color Z3 to buy; he had a deposit in before the official release.  His question to the rest of us was "what color do you think I'd look best in?"  Our reply was "you are buying a car not a suit, buy what you like."

12,000 RPM

Quote from: CLKid on November 10, 2015, 12:06:41 PM
His question to the rest of us was "what color do you think I'd look best in?"  Our reply was "you are buying a car not a suit, buy what you like."
Fuck, dude sounds MISERABLE :lol:

Byteme

Quote from: CALL_911 on October 31, 2015, 12:46:37 AM
Dealer experience was one reason why Lexus did so well from the get go. There is a difference in service at premium dealers vs the more mainstream marques. It matters for the people buying these types of cars.

I love those license plate frames that proclaim for example "Lexus Priority Customer".  Do people really think the rest of us give a shit that they probably overpaid for their vehicle?

Byteme

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on October 31, 2015, 09:21:19 PM
The brand recognition/snob factor is part of the experience. Answering "an M5" when asked say, at a party, what do I drive - does have a nice ring to it. I do enjoy it.

Do you employ a self satisfied smirk when you say it?    :lol:

Byteme

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 10, 2015, 12:08:35 PM
Fuck, dude sounds MISERABLE :lol:

Actually a hell of a nice guy, just Chinese and very much into how he is perceived by others.

Byteme

Quote from: ChrisV on November 09, 2015, 02:59:03 PM
It just means you end up thinking longer and harder about the image you want to portray when driving, as it's harder to change it once you've made the decision. Even if you're buying the car primarily for your use and enjoyment, how that car is perceived is still going to be a factor, positively or negatively in your decision to own it.

I don't agree with that at all.  I personally couldn't care less what others think of what I buy and drive.   

MexicoCityM3

'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

Laconian

Quote from: CLKid on November 10, 2015, 12:14:17 PM
Actually a hell of a nice guy, just Chinese and very much into how he is perceived by others.

A lot of the insecure Chinese folks I know care about how their parents perceive how they are perceived by others. It's like this neverending cycle of cross-generation nagging.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

BimmerM3

It goes both ways with me. I like when people compliment my cars (I mean, who doesn't?), but I'm sure that I also get judged negatively by some people. I don't think much about it when I'm shopping though. I pretty much get what I want.

CALL_911

Quote from: CLKid on November 10, 2015, 12:10:04 PM
I love those license plate frames that proclaim for example "Lexus Priority Customer".  Do people really think the rest of us give a shit that they probably overpaid for their vehicle?

Never seen that before

2004 S2000
2016 340xi