The importance of the status symbol aspect of vehicle ownership.

Started by shp4man, October 30, 2015, 09:33:06 AM

shp4man

Is the status symbol aspect of vehicle ownership more important than the function or cost/performance ratio to you?
Are the luxury brand vehicles actually worth the added cost? Is a Lexus better than a Toyota? Lincoln better than a Ford? Is a Mercedes really a better vehicle than a Buick? Or even a Dodge?
My feeling is that the luxury brands are taking advantage of peoples need to feel superior in some way. Of course, that's an age old game with the manufacturers. I'm surprised some people can't see through it.

Cookie Monster

I drive a gay hairdresser's car.

So no, status/symbol doesn't mean anything to me.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

CALL_911

I think luxury cars are a great way for the elite to exert their superiority on peasants

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

shp4man

Quote from: thecarnut on October 30, 2015, 10:25:16 AM

Actually, the Miata is a performance vehicle design. The perception of it being a "gay" car is kind of ridiculous.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: thecarnut on October 30, 2015, 10:25:16 AM

In some ways, "anti-status" is a form of status in itself. Look at how popular Subarus, Priuses, old diesel Benzes etc are in the PNW and New Hampshire. If what a car represents brings its owner a sense of pride it is a status symbol.

I am not a big fan of speaking via car. I always felt a little silly driving the Z. I mean I loved the way it looked and it drove OK, but I feel like the image it portrayed was very silly. YEs, I am a douchebag bro, but I don't want to wear that on my sleeve. I kind of like that the Civic is "just a car". TBH though next go round I could do a Bimmer.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

ifcar

Quote from: shp4man on October 30, 2015, 09:33:06 AM
Is the status symbol aspect of vehicle ownership more important than the function or cost/performance ratio to you?
Are the luxury brand vehicles actually worth the added cost? Is a Lexus better than a Toyota? Lincoln better than a Ford? Is a Mercedes really a better vehicle than a Buick? Or even a Dodge?
My feeling is that the luxury brands are taking advantage of peoples need to feel superior in some way. Of course, that's an age old game with the manufacturers. I'm surprised some people can't see through it.

As with most luxury goods, they're in most cases objectively better to someone with a discerning taste. They're then frequently bought by people who wouldn't notice those advantages or don't especially care.

AutobahnSHO

I don't care at all, but I find myself drawn to the slightly less-popular cars.  Which emphasize function over form/popularity.

I would LOOOOVE  a Baja right now, for no good reason. :huh:
Will

shp4man

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on October 30, 2015, 03:16:39 PM
I don't care at all, but I find myself drawn to the slightly less-popular cars.  Which emphasize function over form/popularity.

I would LOOOOVE  a Baja right now, for no good reason. :huh:

A Baja?  ;)

Eye of the Tiger

I fucking hate 99% of people, so I don't care what they think as long as they leave me the fuck alone.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Laconian

I was kind of happy to trade the Acura for a Subaru. And my car after the G37 won't be a luxury brand either. I don't want to put on airs, even if that wasn't our intent when we bought the cars in the first place.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CALL_911

Quote from: Laconian on October 30, 2015, 07:07:08 PM
I was kind of happy to trade the Acura for a Subaru. And my car after the G37 won't be a luxury brand either. I don't want to put on airs, even if that wasn't our intent when we bought the cars in the first place.
Why? In your region, neither are particularly flashy cars, and if you get your car serviced at the dealer, luxo-marques typically treat you better

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Rupert

Yeah, I don't think politeness of the dealer service relationship is really a factor when buying a new car for very many people.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

CALL_911

Quote from: Rupert on October 31, 2015, 12:36:35 AM
Yeah, I don't think politeness of the dealer service relationship is really a factor when buying a new car for very many people.
You don't think the dealer experience is a factor for people buying a new car? Anecdotally, my folks are replacing my mom's A4 and the fact that the BMW dealer has made maintenance/servicing a cinch for them, while Audi has made things more annoying, is a factor in why she'll probably end up with a 3 wagon.

Also, whether it is or not makes no difference in Laconians case. He mentioned he was happy to get out of a luxo brand, and I don't think cost was the issue. I'm guessing image isn't a huge problem, considering where he lives and what he drove. I'm wondering why he'd be happy to get out of a car with a premium badge with all that said

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CALL_911

Dealer experience was one reason why Lexus did so well from the get go. There is a difference in service at premium dealers vs the more mainstream marques. It matters for the people buying these types of cars.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Rupert

He said he didn't want to put on airs, i.e. image was the problem.

Did I touch a nerve or something? You clearly do place a lot of importance on the status symbol aspect of car ownership...
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

CALL_911

Quote from: Rupert on October 31, 2015, 12:52:53 AM
He said he didn't want to put on airs, i.e. image was the problem.

Did I touch a nerve or something? You clearly do place a lot of importance on the status symbol aspect of car ownership...

Lol u ok dude? Don't flatter yourself

All I'm saying is I find it kinda weird, considering he didn't/doesn't drive anything particularly flashy, especially given what he does and where he works/lives.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Rupert

Soup DeVille

Whether or not you call it status, almost everybody cares to some extent about the image the car they drive projects. That doesn't mean necessarily that everybody's a badge snob, but just as one chooses to dress a certain way, one chooses to be seen in a certain kind of car; and most of the time practicality is at best a second thought.

almost every pair of pants serves the same practical purpose; just as nearly every car will serve the same basic purpose. But we don't want just utility; we want something more than to keep our ass covered and we want something more than basic transportation- even if we don't necessarily need it.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

veeman

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 31, 2015, 02:08:29 AM
Whether or not you call it status, almost everybody cares to some extent about the image the car they drive projects. That doesn't mean necessarily that everybody's a badge snob, but just as one chooses to dress a certain way, one chooses to be seen in a certain kind of car; and most of the time practicality is at best a second thought.

almost every pair of pants serves the same practical purpose; just as nearly every car will serve the same basic purpose. But we don't want just utility; we want something more than to keep our ass covered and we want something more than basic transportation- even if we don't necessarily need it.

:hesaid:

Also, in Wimmer's words, history/heritage means something and you can't separate that sentiment from badge snobbery.  It's just that someone who appreciates history/heritage doesn't have a negative connotation whereas someone who is a brand snob does have a negative connotation.

I'm not a wine snob but I won't buy wine in a cardboard box.  And I prefer a wine bottle to not have a twist off top.  It cheapens the experience. 

MexicoCityM3

The snob factor is relevant to me, yes. I'd love to say that I only care about the driving or the car or whatever but I'd be lying.

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Soup DeVille

Quote from: veeman on October 31, 2015, 08:43:41 AM

Also, in Wimmer's words, history/heritage means something and you can't separate that sentiment from badge snobbery.  It's just that someone who appreciates history/heritage doesn't have a negative connotation whereas someone who is a brand snob does have a negative connotation.

I'm not a wine snob but I won't buy wine in a cardboard box.  And I prefer a wine bottle to not have a twist off top.  It cheapens the experience. 

That's why I buy the boxed wine and pour it into nice bottles.

Also, I take the plastic wine bag out of the box, put it under my arm, poke a hole in it and spray it at people.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Cookie Monster

Quote from: CALL_911 on October 31, 2015, 12:46:37 AM
Dealer experience was one reason why Lexus did so well from the get go. There is a difference in service at premium dealers vs the more mainstream marques. It matters for the people buying these types of cars.

+1

That's also why Hyundai offers crazy service on the Genesis (picking up the car, dropping it back off, etc) to try to differentiate themselves from their mainstream lineup.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Rupert

Quote from: veeman on October 31, 2015, 08:43:41 AM

Heh, hate to break it to you, but that is the very definition of wine snobbery. :lol:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 31, 2015, 09:25:57 AM
That's why I buy the boxed wine and pour it into nice bottles.

Also, I take the plastic wine bag out of the box, put it under my arm, poke a hole in it and spray it at people.

I take my boxed wine and pour it into a pint glass. Drink it like beer.

MrH

Quote from: thecarnut on October 31, 2015, 10:11:33 AM
+1

That's also why Hyundai offers crazy service on the Genesis (picking up the car, dropping it back off, etc) to try to differentiate themselves from their mainstream lineup.

That's only the eequs. I get treated like shit for having a Genesis
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

Quote from: CALL_911 on October 31, 2015, 12:46:37 AM
I dont have much experience with luxury service operations but I get the feeling mainstream brands have largely caught up. Plus with many luxury marques good dealer service is paramount..... since you will be there a lot :evildude:

I just took my Civic in for an A/C problem and I can't see what more they could do. They gave me a rental and kept me informed of what was going on. Maybe a luxury dealer would have free croissants and leather couches instead of cheap chairs and vending machines.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on October 31, 2015, 08:45:33 AM
The snob factor is relevant to me, yes. I'd love to say that I only care about the driving or the car or whatever but I'd be lying.
No swipes, but why?

giant_mtb

Laconian

Quote from: CALL_911 on October 31, 2015, 12:24:44 AM
Why? In your region, neither are particularly flashy cars, and if you get your car serviced at the dealer, luxo-marques typically treat you better

Few of my family or peers drive luxury cars. I don't like being the guy that does (even if it's a pseudo-lux Nissan ;) )
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT