Uh oh. Tire time

Started by 12,000 RPM, October 31, 2015, 07:00:03 AM

12,000 RPM

Both cars wear 205/55/16s and both are just about due for new tires. May need new shocks too. I am thinking it's time to do the suspension mods I have been thinking of.

Main thing I'm on the fence about is tires. We get like 1-2 months of legit freezing weather and maybe a week or so of snow. I work ~35 miles from home so I need tires that can somewhat handle snow. Z summer tires were a complete joke but stocker Civic tires were OK. Rest of the time we are in the 40s or above.

I'm also thinking of getting 17s (Kosei K1s or Rota SDRs). That would enable me to get more aggressive "summer" tires, but I would still need to replace the 16s.

For suspension and brakes I pretty much have my mind made up for both cars.... Koni STR.T shocks, Tein S Tech for my car and H&R Sports for hers, and I forget what pads I decided on but I think I'm going to do pads/rotors/SS lines on both. New Golf's brake pedal was rock solid and really nice. I want our cars to feel like that. I think wifey might have air in her system.

But yea what should I do about tires. My car will never see a track, most likely, but I do have some twisty roads on my commute and I like grip.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

giant_mtb

Basing your tire choice on one week of dusty snow is pointless if you ask me.  If it snows an inch down there y'all will just shut everything down anyway. :huh: :lol:

Rupert

Aye. Aggressive all-seasons sound like they would make sense, though. You probably need something that's OK in the rain, so not summer tires, but if you're so concerned with snow, just buy a set of chains.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

veeman

I thought summer tires are fine in the rain?

MrH

Yeah, most summer tires are fine in the rain. Just not good when the temperature drops below freezing.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Rupert

The compounds are fine, but IMO the tread patterns are sub-optimal.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

12,000 RPM

Some summer tires have good rain tread/compounds. I really don't need anything super aggressive. Point about the city shutting down is legit too, I have worked from home both times lol. But it does get below freezing down here. We were in the single digits for a few weeks. I want a summerish tread pattern with an all season compound.

Rupert

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 31, 2015, 04:42:54 PM
Some summer tires have good rain tread/compounds. I really don't need anything super aggressive. Point about the city shutting down is legit too, I have worked from home both times lol. But it does get below freezing down here. We were in the single digits for a few weeks. I want a summerish tread pattern with an all season compound.

"High Performance All-Season" is what I think Tire Rack calls it.

Byteme

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 31, 2015, 07:00:03 AM
Both cars wear 205/55/16s and both are just about due for new tires. May need new shocks too. I am thinking it's time to do the suspension mods I have been thinking of.

But yea what should I do about tires. My car will never see a track, most likely, but I do have some twisty roads on my commute and I like grip.

Determine what attributes are most important to you; performance in the wet, road noise, dry traction, long life, etc.

Go to TireRack.com and search the size you want. 

Sort by price if you have an upper limit per tire that you are willing to spend.

Check the reviews and survey data for the tires you are interested in. 

Either buy from Tire Rack or use the info to find the tires you choose somewhere else.

I've probably bought 10 sets of tires from Tire Rack and in my experience their survey and review information is pretty accurate. 

MX793

Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 or BFG Ge-Force Comp-2 A/S.  Both highly rated on Tire Rack in the Ultra Hi-Po all season category and prices aren't too bad either.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

12,000 RPM

So UHP A/S would be better than a milder summer tire? I heard summer tires have better wet traction.

I have checked out TireRack's test reports.... pretty damn good. I will dig in.

MX793

My experience is that summers work pretty well in the rain.  But when temperatures start dipping into the 40s, or colder, grip levels are significantly reduced.  And driving at freezing or sub freezing temps can damage a summer compound tire.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

12,000 RPM

Looking at Tire Rack's tests, there's not much between UHP summers and all seasons....

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=192

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=201

I think I will mess with those BFGs

CJ

68_427

My Potenza S-04s are amazing in the rain, but like others have said I won't drive in then when temps dip into the low 40s.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

12,000 RPM

Civic is at the dealer getting the tires replaced. Compared to Tire Rack and the like the price was pretty much on point with their "3 for 1" deal. They better not forget to give me my old tires for wifey. Fronts on the Civic were down past the wear bars... I have been hydroplaning all over for weeks :mask:

Gonna chill through the winter and then get my suspension sorted out in the spring.