GDI, turbocharging, and the mother of unintended consequences

Started by 12,000 RPM, November 15, 2015, 06:35:15 PM

12,000 RPM

So this video popped up in my YT subscription feed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5_K2P49hyw

And it got me wondering. Hmmm. OK. So GDI-T engines are prone to blow up at the precise point they are designed to run optimally. Anyone know about this?

Found an interesting site explaining GDI issues.

http://pceo.com/GDI_and_Turbocharging_Rinek

Now while it was cool as hell to surf what felt like a massive torque wave in the Golf 1.8T in low revs and still get ~30 MPG I am not sure this is worth it. Driving my Civic the same way on the same route I get the same gas mileage with a run of the mill port injected shittily geared NA motor.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MrH

Didn't even watch the video, but that kid is an idiot. Why do you subscribe to him?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

I like car reviews :huh:

I know he was a little shit on the BRZ forums or w/e.... but that shit aint got nothin to do with me :lol:

MX793

Engine knock is a risk when lugging naturally aspirated engines in low RPM, high load situations as well.  GDI-Ts may be even more prone to it, but it's not unique to that engine configuration.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

GoCougs

Ha! I actually subscribed to that channel and I like it. Just a regular guy, with lots of enthusiasm, testing regular/attainable cars.

AFTERMARKET TUNES ON F/I BLOW MOTORS. ALL STOP. It has nothing to do with 6th gear or any of that other nonsense. Ford isn't responsible for failures owing to tunes.

You can't "lug" a modern engine to any great extent owing to throttle-by-wire. The ECU knows lugging conditions and won't let the throttle open much (or to the extent dictated by gas pedal position).

Also, the danger with lugging isn't detonation but not enough oil pressure to handle the loads on the rod and main bearings.

12,000 RPM

This is happening on stock cars too bro. Good point about oil pressure. Is it time for mechanically decoupled oil pumps?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 16, 2015, 04:45:29 AM
This is happening on stock cars too bro. Good point about oil pressure. Is it time for mechanically decoupled oil pumps?

This is a bad idea. Maybe just a secondary pump that disengages at a 1450 RPM or so.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 16, 2015, 05:44:29 AM
This is a bad idea. Maybe just a secondary pump that disengages at a 1450 RPM or so.
Yea maybe a secondary pump would to. Twin pump with intercooler. JFC when did cars get so complicated.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 16, 2015, 07:25:07 AM
Yea maybe a secondary pump would to. Twin pump with intercooler. JFC when did cars get so complicated.

Maybe a small Wankel engine could run an electric-CVT that variably charges a battery bank, and spins a secondary oil pump that pumps oil into both the Wankel engine and the primary piston engine under variable conditions.

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 16, 2015, 07:41:30 AM
Maybe a small Wankel engine could run an electric-CVT that variably charges a battery bank, and spins a secondary oil pump that pumps oil into both the Wankel engine and the primary piston engine under variable conditions.
The screams from the service bays are reaching a deafening crescendo

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 16, 2015, 07:58:58 AM
The screams from the service bays are reaching a deafening crescendo

It would be like a Ferrari, with two transmissions. The Wankel/eCVT would go in back, and the standard T-GDI engine with whatever transaxle up front. 

A series of oil lines would have to run from front-to-back for the oiling system, and it might be best to have at least two oil tanks. One primary in back for the Wankel to pump and burn through, and one up front to make sure the piston engine always has some in reserve.

There should be a seven-core radiator up front behind a Peterbuilt grille. Three pairs of coolant pipes must run from front to back in order to cool the Wankel/eCVT/batteries with the front mounted radiator. Liquid cooling is best  after all.

Everything will be coordinated and synchronized with a smartphone app to provide seemless power to all four wheels. USB cable not included.

12,000 RPM

I dont know if you are fucking around or not, but Peich seriously had pretty much this exact setup in mind for the next Phaeton. He wanted to get revenge on the Japanese for capitalizing on rotaries in ways the Germans couldn't (and as a fuck you for losing the war). "Your little engine is only good fahr oil pump in 200 thauusand dollar Volksvagen"

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 16, 2015, 01:40:47 PM
It would be like a Ferrari, with two transmissions. The Wankel/eCVT would go in back, and the standard T-GDI engine with whatever transaxle up front. 

A series of oil lines would have to run from front-to-back for the oiling system, and it might be best to have at least two oil tanks. One primary in back for the Wankel to pump and burn through, and one up front to make sure the piston engine always has some in reserve.

There should be a seven-core radiator up front behind a Peterbuilt grille. Three pairs of coolant pipes must run from front to back in order to cool the Wankel/eCVT/batteries with the front mounted radiator. Liquid cooling is best  after all.

Everything will be coordinated and synchronized with a smartphone app to provide seemless power to all four wheels. USB cable not included.

don't forget hybrid stuffs. Giant batteries and generators and stuffs.
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 16, 2015, 02:22:33 PM
I dont know if you are fucking around or not, but Peich seriously had pretty much this exact setup in mind for the next Phaeton. He wanted to get revenge on the Japanese for capitalizing on rotaries in ways the Germans couldn't (and as a fuck you for losing the war). "Your little engine is only good fahr oil pump in 200 thauusand dollar Volksvagen"

I was just making shit up. That VW guy sounds like a nutjob :lol:

12,000 RPM

He wasnt going to do that but yea Piech is the brain child behind the Phaeton and I think the Veyron too. He is like an internet auto executive come to life

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 17, 2015, 06:44:23 AM
He wasnt going to do that but yea Piech is the brain child behind the Phaeton and I think the Veyron too. He is like an internet auto executive come to life

I wonder if he needs an assistant... or an enabler.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 17, 2015, 06:49:03 AM
I wonder if he needs an assistant... or an enabler.
I know he has like eight baby mamas. He don't give a scheissel