Day Trading vs. Powerball

Started by Eye of the Tiger, November 17, 2015, 07:00:00 AM

Which is the best way to make some money?

$600 worth of penny stocks
1 (50%)
$600 worth of lottery tickets
1 (50%)
Summit
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Eye of the Tiger

I've read books and watched The Wolf of Wallstreet, so I'm almost ready to toss some money in and see what happens.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

CaminoRacer

The biggest lesson to learn from Wolf of Wallstreet is that penny stocks are terrible, but selling penny stocks for huge cuts can be very profitable. So take the $600 and start selling penny stocks.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Eye of the Tiger

On a side note, I'm getting an LLC, but I can't think of a good name. The only thing I got is "Wee, LLC" (or Oui, LLC). Pronounced, "We'll see."

giant_mtb

Don't bother with penny stocks.  Super volatile, hard to read, have to sift through way too much bullshit doing your DD.

MX793

Commission and fees tend to be higher on penny stocks as well.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Eye of the Tiger

Ok, screw penny stalks.
Dollar stocks?
And I don't hace the money for day trading, but a few trades per week, ja.

Submariner

Starting a small weed grow is your best bet. 

Not that I'm advocating that.  Weed is illegal and Jesus hates weed.  Don't grow weed, heathen. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Submariner on November 17, 2015, 03:15:44 PM
Starting a small weed grow is your best bet. 

Not that I'm advocating that.  Weed is illegal and Jesus hates weed.  Don't grow weed, heathen. 

I was really hoping that Ohio legalized it so I could start a smuggling business and sell it to KY teenagers.

Eye of the Tiger

I don't care about weed. I'd smoke it if it was legal, but I'm not a weed enthusiast.

I would like to be more of a money enthusuast, however. If I cared about it, I might end up with more of it.

From my meteorology experience, I am good at interpolating a subjective analysis around statistical trends, and playing conservative. If I can apply this to trading stocks, I can make a little extra money. Perhaps. Or do tons of drugs and end up in jail. Whatever.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 17, 2015, 03:55:57 PM
I don't care about weed. I'd smoke it if it was legal, but I'm not a weed enthusiast.

I would like to be more of a money enthusuast, however. If I cared about it, I might end up with more of it.

From my meteorology experience, I am good at interpolating a subjective analysis around statistical trends, and playing conservative. If I can apply this to trading stocks, I can make a little extra money. Perhaps. Or do tons of drugs and end up in jail. Whatever.

If you're actually looking to start investing, low-cost index funds are the way to go. Studies have shown that the percentage professional traders that consistently outperform the market is actually lower than random chance.

EDIT: Actually, I think that was the number of mutual funds that consistently outperform the market, which also takes into account the fees for the fund. So I guess if you're doing it yourself and thus have no fees, it's slightly more likely.

Still though, low cost index funds are your best bet.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: BimmerM3 on November 17, 2015, 04:08:35 PM
If you're actually looking to start investing, low-cost index funds are the way to go. Studies have shown that the percentage professional traders that consistently outperform the market is actually lower than random chance.

Boring.
So how does any professional trader have a damn job if a monkey would statistically outperform them?

BimmerM3

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 17, 2015, 04:12:29 PM
Boring.
So how does any professional trader have a damn job if a monkey would statistically outperform them?

Because less informed people *think* professional traders are better at their jobs than they really are and buy their funds anyway. 

Also, see my edit.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: BimmerM3 on November 17, 2015, 04:16:01 PM
Because less informed people *think* they're better at their jobs than they really are and buy their funds anyway. Fund managers basically just make a percentage of the value of the fund.

Also, see my edit.

Or I can buy a stock, wait for it to go up, then sell it when it stops going up. So simple, yo. :lol:

CaminoRacer

Quote from: BimmerM3 on November 17, 2015, 04:08:35 PM

EDIT: Actually, I think that was the number of mutual funds that consistently outperform the market, which also takes into account the fees for the fund. So I guess if you're doing it yourself and thus have no fees, it's slightly more likely.

Still though, low cost index funds are your best bet.

I'm not sure if that's talking about a different kind of fund than the one I have, but I get a couple percentage points more than the S&P 500. Just a Vanguard (or Fidelity or something) medium risk thing.

BimmerM3

Quote from: CaminoRacer on November 17, 2015, 04:30:28 PM
I'm not sure if that's talking about a different kind of fund than the one I have, but I get a couple percentage points more than the S&P 500. Just a Vanguard (or Fidelity or something) medium risk thing.

1. The returns you're seeing probably don't include all of the fees.

2. This was looking at all funds over a long period of time. In any given year, some funds over perform and some funds under perform. But the likelihood that it will consistently outperform the market year after year after year is pretty small.

MrH

Any opinions on wealthfront vs betterment?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Eye of the Tiger

Ok, lettuce pretend.

Today I will pretend that I bought the following stocks. Fees not included:

DARA (NASDAQ)
200 shares @ 0.900 = $180.00

USEG (NASDAQ)
400 shares @ 0.310 = $124.00

ALU (NYSE)
50 shares @ 3.93 = $196.50

BORN (NYSE)
100 shares @ 1.13 = $113.00

Total investment of $613.50

I will monitor these stocks for the next few days and "sell" them as necessary. Fucking let's see if I can make enough money to make it worth the two hours that I spent browsing stock charts.

giant_mtb

You could also get an app or use a paper trading website to practice and let the software do the work.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 17, 2015, 09:14:31 PM
You could also get an app or use a paper trading website to practice and let the software do the work.

Yeah, I got an app. It's pretty comprehensive. I can even set limits and buy cocaine.

Eye of the Tiger

I've lost $14 so far. But I expect things to turn around in a few days.

Eye of the Tiger

Eye of the Tiger

-$6 net as of midday. This is my new career.

Eye of the Tiger

Back to -$12. Meh.

So, I still need an LLC name. I'm drawing a blank.

giant_mtb

Why do you need an LLC?  Why do you want to pay taxes?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 23, 2015, 06:41:34 PM
Why do you need an LLC?  Why do you want to pay taxes?

To limit my liability. It is required. Don't you have one?

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 23, 2015, 06:42:59 PM
To limit my liability. It is required. Don't you have one?

Yes. I have two in my name now, actually. It's just $25/year for the name in my state. And them 15.whatever percent income tax cuz self employed.

BENZ BOY15

Well, I'd say none of the above....buy some drugs in bulk and then sell them individually. There's a good return.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 23, 2015, 06:46:52 PM
Yes. I have two in my name now, actually. It's just $25/year for the name in my state. And them 15.whatever percent income tax cuz self employed.

Pfft. Taxes smaxes. I just need a name...

Wee, LLC
Period Correct, LLC
Well Oiled Machine, LLC
Qualitative Express, LLC
Rhymes With Orange,  LLC
Search And Research, LLC
Wind and Rewind, LLC
Jesus, LLC
Better With Cheese, LLC
Do Not Touch, LLC
Power Band, LLC
Two Tens for a Five, LLC

?

giant_mtb

Better With Cheese, LLC for sure.