Lexus LC500

Started by 12,000 RPM, January 11, 2016, 12:15:32 PM

12,000 RPM

If you are confused by paddles you shouldn't be driving imo
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Vinsanity

I don't think I can even tell you (yet) where the shifter paddles on the Merc are mounted. To be fair, I've only taken it on a twisty road exactly once. And even then, I had to turn back around after 10 minutes because there were stopped cars up ahead due to weather conditions.

I do use them to downshift coming to a red light, though.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 21, 2017, 06:58:35 PM

Primary controls should not spin around to end up in different locations, upside down, inaccessible, or requiring the use of alternating hands depending on steering angle. This is not an F1 car with a half turn lock-to-lock. This is a street car. There should be no question as to whether or not a primary control is confusing, and steering wheel shifters are. The only reason manufacturers get away with this lazy solution is because there is an automatic mode and/or a console shifer.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Cookie Monster

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 21, 2017, 06:58:35 PM

So I'm assuming you'd like steering mounted turn signals as well? :hammerhead:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 21, 2017, 07:31:47 PM
Primary controls should not spin around to end up in different locations, upside down, inaccessible, or requiring the use of alternating hands depending on steering angle. This is not an F1 car with a half turn lock-to-lock. This is a street car. There should be no question as to whether or not a primary control is confusing, and steering wheel shifters are. The only reason manufacturers get away with this lazy solution is because there is an automatic mode and/or a console shifer.
Paddle shifters in a street car are not primary controls. For example you can't go into reverse with paddle shifters. They're in the same category as shit like radio controls or cruise control.

Quote from: Cookie Monster on February 21, 2017, 07:40:47 PM
So I'm assuming you'd like steering mounted turn signals as well? :hammerhead:
You operate your turn signals in the middle of a turn? :confused:

CaminoRacer

Well they are called TURN signals...
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Rich

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 21, 2017, 07:47:10 PM
You operate your turn signals in the middle of a turn? :confused:

Yeah. 

I get steering mounted paddles for track driving.  If it's a high performance car, the wheel shouldn't be any more than 90* and the hands don't need to be moved around

On the street though, not everyone has their hands at 9-3, especially if a shift is needed when pulling out of a 90* turn to assist in minimizing wheelspin or maximizing wheelspin, parking lots.. plenty of examples where the hand positions need to be adjusted away from 9-3, but a shift may be wanted.

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

68_427

Luckily this car has 10 gears so chances are unless you're a dumbass whatever gear you're in should be fine.  Oh you wanted 4th gear?  Meh 5th will do
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Rich on February 21, 2017, 11:06:18 PM
Yeah. 

I get steering mounted paddles for track driving.  If it's a high performance car, the wheel shouldn't be any more than 90* and the hands don't need to be moved around

On the street though, not everyone has their hands at 9-3, especially if a shift is needed when pulling out of a 90* turn to assist in minimizing wheelspin or maximizing wheelspin, parking lots.. plenty of examples where the hand positions need to be adjusted away from 9-3, but a shift may be wanted.
This kind of wheelspin can be managed with patience.....

Eye of the Tiger

I would like to try driving a 13-speed tractor-trailer with steering wheel paddles.

MrH

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 21, 2017, 05:54:19 PM
I'm still not quite buying it.... when are you shifting gears with the wheel turned >120 or so degrees?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DE5UJa2q2js

:lol:!  You driving a video game on a track is not a good representation of what we're talking about at all.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Raza

Quote from: 68_427 on February 21, 2017, 05:48:22 AM
Matt's a watch guy like yourself.  He's posted some things on his Instagram periodically.  And it's a regular auto but with paddle shifters.

Nice.  I posted the vid over at my watch forum, and people seem to be in consensus that it's the vintage steel GMT with the anodized aluminum bezel and not the current model in white gold with a ceramic bezel.  That's taste.  Those old Pepsi GMTs are sought after.  The new ones aren't as appetizing, partly because the white gold makes it feel less of a usable watch (and really increases the weight, if my experience with solid gold watches is consistent), and it also pushes the price up to around $39,000.  Which is a lot, when the steel version (not offered in that color anymore) costs $8,300 for the all black bezel (getting blue/black pushes the price to $9,900, which is a similarly ridiculous price increase just for a two color bezel.  I mean, $1,600 just for a a bit of blue on the bezel?  That's insane; you can get a whole, very good watch for $1600).
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: Tave on February 21, 2017, 07:08:45 AM
If you like youtube car reviews he's one of the better ones. His signature format is his "one takes," where he ad-libs a review on the spot while driving canyons. He's not the harshest reviewer but that just seems to be his personality. He also reviews a lot of older cars, built cars, and customs, which is nice change of pace from the cookie-cutter format of a lot of these guys.

About ~1/2 of his reviews are done with owners. Some are a little awkward, but even the socially inept owners tend to open up and give neat insights into their rides.

That's cool.  These days, I tend to be like those guys who sit around and watch ESPN Classic all day.  I mostly just watch old episodes of Top Gear.  But I'll give this guy a try.  Not everyone needs to be the Simon Cowell of their given profession. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza  on February 22, 2017, 10:06:43 AM
Nice.  I posted the vid over at my watch forum, and people seem to be in consensus that it's the vintage steel GMT with the anodized aluminum bezel and not the current model in white gold with a ceramic bezel.  That's taste.  Those old Pepsi GMTs are sought after.  The new ones aren't as appetizing, partly because the white gold makes it feel less of a usable watch (and really increases the weight, if my experience with solid gold watches is consistent), and it also pushes the price up to around $39,000.  Which is a lot, when the steel version (not offered in that color anymore) costs $8,300 for the all black bezel (getting blue/black pushes the price to $9,900, which is a similarly ridiculous price increase just for a two color bezel.  I mean, $1,600 just for a a bit of blue on the bezel?  That's insane; you can get a whole, very good watch for $1600).

I find the GMT to be hit or miss in many categories, but do prefer the early GMT 400 as the best compromise between technology and serviceability.

Raza

I'm still not quite buying it.... when are you shifting gears with the wheel turned >120 or so degrees?

You wobbly ass motherfucker.....

I generally prefer column-mounted paddles, because I think they're more practical more of the time.  I mean, I prefer no paddles and three pedals instead, but increasingly that's just me.  For track driving, maybe it makes sense to have them wheel mounted.  But I did notice that you actually did shift your hands on the wheel quite a bit.  Seems like your natural driving position is more like 10 and 2, but you had to shuffle down to 9 and 3 for shifting.  Not a big thing, but I saw that. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 22, 2017, 10:13:36 AM
I find the GMT to be hit or miss in many categories, but do prefer the early GMT 400 as the best compromise between technology and serviceability.

The GMT400 is a good all around piece of equipment. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

giant_mtb

"Ohhhh fuck" :lol: :lol:

FoMoJo

Quote from: Raza  on February 22, 2017, 10:16:38 AM
You wobbly ass motherfucker.....

I generally prefer column-mounted paddles, because I think they're more practical more of the time.  I mean, I prefer no paddles and three pedals instead, but increasingly that's just me.  For track driving, maybe it makes sense to have them wheel mounted.  But I did notice that you actually did shift your hands on the wheel quite a bit.  Seems like your natural driving position is more like 10 and 2, but you had to shuffle down to 9 and 3 for shifting.  Not a big thing, but I saw that. 

Triangulation :huh:.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Raza

Quote from: FoMoJo on February 22, 2017, 02:01:46 PM
Triangulation :huh:.

I drive at 9 and 3.  I never found 10 and 2 all that comfortable. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

dazzleman

Quote from: Raza  on February 22, 2017, 02:13:09 PM

10 and 2 is more more conservative drivers.  9 and 3 drivers are more aggressive, in my experience.

I switch according to mood.  When I am in a more sedate mood, I do 10 and 2.  When I want to open it up, I lean to 9 and 3.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Eye of the Tiger

I drive at all times.

dazzleman

A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

The G37xS has them on the column, and I originally thought these would be the way to go, but after using them for a few years, I much prefer wheel mounted ones.  Column mounted ones seem better in theory because they are always in the same place, but in real life they are annoying to use unless the wheel is dead straight, and when you are driving hard, rarely is the steering wheel perfectly straight.  You are always hunting/thinking about where the paddles are in relation to your wheel because mostly your hands don't leave their positions on the wheel.  The GT-R recently went from column mounted ones to wheel mounted ones because the column mounted ones were not popular.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: dazzleman on February 22, 2017, 02:33:33 PM
But you're a shity driver... :evildude:

You can't count my go kart times. Those things are rigged.  :rage:

FoMoJo

Quote from: Raza  on February 22, 2017, 02:13:09 PM
I meant to fix his rickety frame holding the steering wheel.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Raza

Quote from: FoMoJo on February 22, 2017, 03:56:43 PM
I meant to fix his rickety frame holding the steering wheel.

Oh. I thought you were tracking his cell phone.  :lol:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i