Life in the '50s - Lots of cool cars

Started by Payman, February 24, 2016, 08:34:50 AM

Payman

GoCougs

Sweet. Love those Buicks and the Lockheed Constellation. That old film, when all worked well, took amazing pictures. For my mom's Xmas present I'm scanning their old slides (not '50s - early '60s into the '70s) to digital file. Found this - my dad, at about age 20, circa 1962, standing next to his '53 (I think) Buick:

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

shp4man

I like the pics. Can identify all those cars, as they were the cheap heaps back in the 70's. You could buy a decent 57 Chevy for $300 back then. Now, they're 100 times that.

cawimmer430

Hmmm.. the guy standing next to her is clearly NOT the father of her child.  :lol:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

CaminoRacer

Quote from: shp4man on February 24, 2016, 01:04:24 PM
I like the pics. Can identify all those cars, as they were the cheap heaps back in the 70's. You could buy a decent 57 Chevy for $300 back then. Now, they're 100 times that.

I was talking with some guys about that the other day. One guy brought up a theory that auctions and those restoration shows have driven prices up because everyone now thinks that because some guy bought a car for $200k at a charity auction, their barn find must be worth nearly as much.

And then you have hippies who grew up and got rich and now are willing to pay $100k to get their old VW Bus back.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

FoMoJo

Quote from: shp4man on February 24, 2016, 01:04:24 PM
They were a lot easier to tell apart back then.  Just a glance and I know exactly what it is; at least, who made it,
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Rupert

Quote from: CaminoRacer on February 24, 2016, 01:27:29 PM
I was talking with some guys about that the other day. One guy brought up a theory that auctions and those restoration shows have driven prices up because everyone now thinks that because some guy bought a car for $200k at a charity auction, their barn find must be worth nearly as much.

And then you have hippies who grew up and got rich and now are willing to pay $100k to get their old VW Bus back.

I think a lot of it is nostalgic old fucks with money.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)