Infiniti Q50 Twin Turbo reviews are out

Started by 12,000 RPM, February 29, 2016, 01:42:46 PM

12,000 RPM

Fuck man!

Cougs do you still hate turbos???
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MX793

It's the stuff the dyno doesn't tell you that's more important.  Turbo lag and sluggish throttle response don't show up on dynos.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

SJ_GTI

Watched a review of this car (posted on TCL, not sure if it was in this thread or not).

It was interesting. Engines sounds great, but overall the car isn't that sporty. Open diff was a big surprise for something this powerful.

GoCougs

Q50 has turbos integrated into the exhaust manifold, which can't get any better than that. Considering that Nissan has been doing hi-po turbos longer and more often than everyone else, my bet is the 3.0 VR is about as good as it gets.

M/T review posted today (at least today for free):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM2OMA1pnh0

In short, it's not great at sport, luxury or tech, but it's an okay car (= mediocre car all ate up with motor). I've had the Q50 as service loaner and I can totally see that.

12,000 RPM

LMAO!

So turbos are OK now that the car you are looking to buy has them. Oh Cougs :lol:

FlatBlackCaddy

This HAS to be the next gen z motor, with a curb weight of 3300lbs or less.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on June 08, 2016, 09:30:03 PM
This HAS to be the next gen z motor, with a curb weight of 3300lbs or less.

The next Z is going to be a crossover ;)

Don't fret man, we have had 16 years of Zs to choose from, and turbo kits + long blocks are plentiful.

FlatBlackCaddy

I don't see what's so laughable. Nissan obviously has the motor available, it's a natural HP bump over the current model(40-50HP) and the current car is about 3300lbs.

Seems downright logical to me.

MX793

Turbos integral to the exhaust manifolds?  Yeah, that'll be an expensive repair when the need replacement.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

I want to see this motor in the next Murano convertible.  Maybe a NISMO Murano convertible with ATTESA-S and an 8 speed dual clutch. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on June 09, 2016, 07:34:31 AM
I don't see what's so laughable. Nissan obviously has the motor available, it's a natural HP bump over the current model(40-50HP) and the current car is about 3300lbs.

Seems downright logical to me.

I was going to cite what I assumed would be a healthy weight increase for the turbo version, but apparently Infiniti is reporting the curb weights to be the same.

http://www.cars.com/go/compare/trimCompare.jsp?acodes=USC60INC251E0,USC50INC251C0

Even if the TT engine weighs the same as the VQ37, which I find hard to believe, the odds of them replacing or updating the Z period are pretty slim. Apparently it makes more sense to update the GT-R every year, than the Z, which outsells it like 6:1 :facepalm: But yea I just don't see that happening, and if it does it will be heavy.

FlatBlackCaddy

Since the Z33 "rebirth" the car has had several updates, including motor variations.

12,000 RPM

Z34 is 7 yrs old and aside from some cosmetic stuff & NISMO models is the same as it ever was.......

.... which sets up the self fulfilling prophecy of failure. People don't buy new ones cause the old ones are the same; Nissan takes the declining sales as a lack of interest and most likely pulls out.

I'm not bummed, Z had a good run and the VQ takes to turbocharging like a fish to water. If one has the money/time/space to deploy ~400WHP it's a cakewalk. Hell, there is a dude making 400WHP NA with just 3.7L... ITBs, cams, long tubes. $40K or w/e this thing will cost can easily build a reliable + sick TT Z

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 09, 2016, 01:33:13 PM
Z34 is 7 yrs old and aside from some cosmetic stuff & NISMO models is the same as it ever was.......

.... which sets up the self fulfilling prophecy of failure. People don't buy new ones cause the old ones are the same; Nissan takes the declining sales as a lack of interest and most likely pulls out.

I'm not bummed, Z had a good run and the VQ takes to turbocharging like a fish to water. If one has the money/time/space to deploy ~400WHP it's a cakewalk. Hell, there is a dude making 400WHP NA with just 3.7L... ITBs, cams, long tubes. $40K or w/e this thing will cost can easily build a reliable + sick TT Z

Since coming back, the Z has always been better on paper and on the eyes than it was in real life.  And since the 370Z, it's lost its looks. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on June 09, 2016, 01:40:11 PM
Since coming back, the Z has always been better on paper and on the eyes than it was in real life.  And since the 370Z, it's lost its looks.
Z has always been better on paper than in real life, at least since the original. Doesn't mean it's bad though. For someone with the appetite and wallet to dive in, I think a lot of the problems could be fixed. I just couldn't stomach spending 2-3x what I'm used to for mods, especially with the stock package being so well sorted and delicate in the context of the mods I like to do.

MX793

Z33 and Z34 are/were kind of like a Japanese pony car.  Built to a price point, good straight line speed, competent handling, but compromised by a chassis developed to underpin much larger cars.
Needs more Jiggawatts