Started by 12,000 RPM, February 29, 2016, 01:42:46 PM

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Lebowski

SVT666

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Lebowski on February 29, 2016, 03:41:21 PM
Just homie not big homie?
No, just The Homie though I should have capitalized it all before. Best car reviews in the business.

I'm warming up to the Q50's looks.... that infotainment system is a god damn mess though.

FlatBlackCaddy

3.0 tt v6, sounds like the next z car motor to me.

;)

GoCougs

Hmmm. A bit disappointing, esp. soldiering on with the mediocre 7AT. Other first drives are saying about the same - a lot more motor but it's still at a mediocre car overall, but really, many of the cars of the class are getting the same judgment (340i, C450 AMG, and I bet the new S4 will as well), and those that aren't (ATS, IS350) are scared to death of a V6 Camcord in a straight line.

This is a candidate for my next car and my hope is the goofy SBW system is optional (it is for the MY2015 Q50S). I've had lots of the VQ Q50S as service loaners, and I can live with 'em. I found out how to turn all three displays off and rely on my phone for nav and music and it works fine. I think the G37 looks WAY better and has a better overall driving experience (save for road noise, the Q50 is much better). Sigh.

SVT666

Yeah, the G37 road noise is starting to get to me even after going with a more touring oriented and much quieter tire.  It made a huge difference over the high performance tires we had on it before, but even so, the last trip to Vancouver started getting irritating at the 3.5 hour mark. I love driving it and it is a helluva lot of fun, but that road noise really wears on you on long trips.

12,000 RPM

Are any of the cars in the class super quiet on the road? I'm guessing the C-Class is, but I don't know about the rest. It's hard to keep things quiet with 245+ section tires. One of the things that really drove me nuts about the Z.

SVT666

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 01, 2016, 05:39:30 AM
Are any of the cars in the class super quiet on the road? I'm guessing the C-Class is, but I don't know about the rest. It's hard to keep things quiet with 245+ section tires. One of the things that really drove me nuts about the Z.
The last gen CTS and 3 series were miles better in terms of road noise. Not as enjoyable to drive though.

afty

A few more reviews:
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2016-infiniti-q50-red-sport-400-first-drive-review
http://www.motortrend.com/news/2016-infiniti-q50-red-sport-400-first-drive-review/

Pros:
+ Engine is very strong and pulls hard to redline. Estimated ~4.4s 0-60.
+ Fake steering is much improved, may even be better than the real steering.
+ Pricing looks to be in the high $40ks, about $10k cheaper than the competition

Cons:
- 7AT not great, not as good as competition's automatics.
- Handling somewhat twitchy.  Easy to get the rear to step out. (The Gs had this issue too)
- Exhaust too quiet.

I'm also considering this for my next car, but I wish it had a manual or at least a better automatic/DSG.

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 01, 2016, 05:39:30 AM

The Z's problem is that it's a hatchback.  Hatches are noisier than vehicles with isolated trunks.

Despite 255/275 tires, my Mustang is comfortably quiet on the highway.  I noticed a bit more noise in my last one when I went from 225s to 255s all around, but it wasn't what I'd consider loud.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

SJ_GTI

My S4 has 255's all around. Winter tires are little noisy but I don't really notice anything when I have the summer tires on. Maybe I am just used to it.  :lol:

CaminoRacer

If you can hear tire noise, it means your engine/exhaust isn't loud enough.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MX793 on March 01, 2016, 10:43:09 AM
The Z's problem is that it's a hatchback.  Hatches are noisier than vehicles with isolated trunks.

Despite 255/275 tires, my Mustang is comfortably quiet on the highway.  I noticed a bit more noise in my last one when I went from 225s to 255s all around, but it wasn't what I'd consider loud.
G boys here complain about tire noise. Seems like a general FM issue, though the Z was particularly horrible. In the rain I always thought the door or hatch was open.

SVT666

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 01, 2016, 12:39:58 PM
G boys here complain about tire noise. Seems like a general FM issue, though the Z was particularly horrible. In the rain I always thought the door or hatch was open.
The G is definitely not that bad, but if I'm on a rough surface it's pretty fucking loud.

GoCougs

I put some cushy Michelin MXM4 "touring" tires on my G. Made a noticeable difference. I couldn't care less about grip or whatever - I need good ride and low road noise.

They've been using the black asphalt around here lately for new/rebuilt roads and that makes a huge difference. The old gray concrete is torturous in the G.

FM is a heavy stout platform, so it's gonna resonate like a drum. The Q50 has ANC and that makes a huge difference, though it is a bit artificial (if you've ever used noise cancelling headphones, you know what I mean).

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 01, 2016, 11:58:01 AM
If you can hear tire noise, it means your engine/exhaust isn't loud enough.
Or they need to turn up the radio!  :hammerhead:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Raza

Quote from: GoCougs on March 02, 2016, 10:19:40 PM
I put some cushy Michelin MXM4 "touring" tires on my G. Made a noticeable difference. I couldn't care less about grip or whatever - I need good ride and low road noise.

They've been using the black asphalt around here lately for new/rebuilt roads and that makes a huge difference. The old gray concrete is torturous in the G.

FM is a heavy stout platform, so it's gonna resonate like a drum. The Q50 has ANC and that makes a huge difference, though it is a bit artificial (if you've ever used noise cancelling headphones, you know what I mean).

MXM4s are pretty shitty tires, actually. You might have gotten an improvement in road noise over your last set, but I think there are quieter tires in the same price range. I goddamn hate those tires. Shit grip, not great road noise, and shit wear.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

cawimmer430

This is the only Infiniti which I think looks really awesome. Badass and elegant at the same time.  :mrcool:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

afty

I like the look too, but I wish they had gone farther with the Red Sport model. I was hoping for something like the Audi S models -- something midway between the regular cars and the bonkers RS cars. Instead it seems to be just a normal Q50 with a stronger engine.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on March 05, 2016, 11:07:05 AM
MXM4s are pretty shitty tires, actually. You might have gotten an improvement in road noise over your last set, but I think there are quieter tires in the same price range. I goddamn hate those tires. Shit grip, not great road noise, and shit wear.
I love my Conti DWS06s. Can't comment on the noise because Honda doesn't use noise insulation, but they are really good. Way better than my Goodyear Eagle RS-As and better than the MXMs at least based on reviews.

giant_mtb

Honda doesn't use noise insulation?  lol what are you talking about.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 05, 2016, 07:11:09 PM
Honda doesn't use noise insulation?  lol what are you talking about.
It was a joke. Hondas are known for having abnormally high road noise and my car is no exception. Wifey's car is like an S-class by comparison.

MrH

That C-pillar ruins the whole brand for me still.  I can't get over it.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

Product of design by committee/regulation

Better than the XE IMO, which literally could have been anything from a Buick to a Hyundai

GoCougs

TTAC actually had a good review of it. They got a RWD 400 to slam the 1/4 in 12.9 @ 113 with traction problems. Judging by that tap speed the AWD model should do ~12.5. Dam Sun that is quick.

12,000 RPM

A hair slower than the Camaro SS 8AT with way less powers, a worse gearbox and more weight :mask: Impressive

GoCougs

No, not a hair slower. There is a big difference between a 12.2 car and a 12.5 car - upwards of ~4 car lengths (~60').

r0tor went down that path with GTR vs. C7 Z06 and it in part ushered his self-immolated exist from the 'SPIN. The "issue" there is the same here - Q50 has much depper gearing (28 mph in 1st vs. 42 mph in 1st for the Camaro 8AT) and AWD. Give the same gearing and AWD to the Camaro and it would probably dip into the 11s.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on March 10, 2016, 01:02:31 PM
No, not a hair slower. There is a big difference between a 12.2 car and a 12.5 car - upwards of ~4 car lengths (~60').

r0tor went down that path with GTR vs. C7 Z06 and it in part ushered his self-immolated exist from the 'SPIN. The "issue" there is the same here - Q50 has much depper gearing (28 mph in 1st vs. 42 mph in 1st for the Camaro 8AT) and AWD. Give the same gearing and AWD to the Camaro and it would probably dip into the 11s.
Give the Q50 10% more HP and 29% more torque, and summer 275s out back rather than all season 245s, and I'm sure it would dip into the 11s too ;)

Not to mention I find it a little cute that you cite the Infiniti's abnormally short gearing as an advantage here, but discounted the effect of the much longer gearing of the Cayman GT4 (which hits like 49 in 1st and somewhere in the 80s in 2nd with way less HP/torque and I think 295s out back). But thats just a footnote. Point is it's pretty cool that Infiniti's half baked poseur class will give the biggest, baddest performance car under $50K a thorough stoplight scare. 0.3s in the quarter = a driver's race, particularly in stoplight self-validations.

GoCougs

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 10, 2016, 01:24:46 PM
Give the Q50 10% more HP and 29% more torque, and summer 275s out back rather than all season 245s, and I'm sure it would dip into the 11s too ;)

Not to mention I find it a little cute that you cite the Infiniti's abnormally short gearing as an advantage here, but discounted the effect of the much longer gearing of the Cayman GT4 (which hits like 49 in 1st and somewhere in the 80s in 2nd with way less HP/torque and I think 295s out back). But thats just a footnote. Point is it's pretty cool that Infiniti's half baked poseur class will give the biggest, baddest performance car under $50K a thorough stoplight scare. 0.3s in the quarter = a driver's race, particularly in stoplight self-validations.

I don't recommend that you do this.