Essay on the death of a 2001 Saturn

Started by ifcar, March 20, 2016, 05:02:35 PM

ifcar

Articles like this serve as a reminder that even when people don't care about cars in the enthusiast sense, many still do care about their cars:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/20/opinion/sunday/all-things-come-to-an-end-even-my-2001-saturn.html?emc=eta1

Raza

That was really nice.  It's true; people who may not know a thing about cars or care how they perform or drive (or in some cases, even look), can fall well and truly in love with their cars.  It's really quite beautiful, in a way.  Like bread, means of transportation is almost universally shown affection by the people who use it.  Even going back to horses, people cared for their way of getting around town.  I'm guilty of talking to my car, and I won't apologize for being sentimental over some of the ones from which I've moved on.  Especially in America, your car is a big part of you, enthusiast or not. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

JWC

That's pretty much how I feel about my V70. It sits in the front yard (not on blocks though) awaiting a "For Sale" sign. I'm running it in a local bargain trader now for $2,000. Getting some cash for it would be great.....buuuutttt....I still hate to give it up. I drove it last week before taking off the plates and turning them in. It still drives and rides great. It just needs more work than I'm willing (or have the time) to put into it.

I haven't gotten any calls so far. I kept the price at $2K so the ad would be free. I might take photos and resubmit it to the bargain trader. The price will got up though....$2500. Still I hate to give up my 2000 V70. At 85,000 miles, it is in the prime of its life.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Raza  on March 26, 2016, 04:27:32 PM
That was really nice.  It's true; people who may not know a thing about cars or care how they perform or drive (or in some cases, even look), can fall well and truly in love with their cars.  It's really quite beautiful, in a way.  Like bread, means of transportation is almost universally shown affection by the people who use it.  Even going back to horses, people cared for their way of getting around town.  I'm guilty of talking to my car, and I won't apologize for being sentimental over some of the ones from which I've moved on.  Especially in America, your car is a big part of you, enthusiast or not.
Well written.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Rupert

Quote from: JWC on March 26, 2016, 07:17:16 PM
That's pretty much how I feel about my V70. It sits in the front yard (not on blocks though) awaiting a "For Sale" sign. I'm running it in a local bargain trader now for $2,000. Getting some cash for it would be great.....buuuutttt....I still hate to give it up. I drove it last week before taking off the plates and turning them in. It still drives and rides great. It just needs more work than I'm willing (or have the time) to put into it.

I haven't gotten any calls so far. I kept the price at $2K so the ad would be free. I might take photos and resubmit it to the bargain trader. The price will got up though....$2500. Still I hate to give up my 2000 V70. At 85,000 miles, it is in the prime of its life.

Try $1950.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

veeman

Loved that piece of writing. 

While cool to drive a Jalopy, eventually the car is a real hazard to you and other people on the road.  Car stalling on the highway, total brake failure, wheel coming off, exhaust falling on the ground, etc. 

Airplanes are designed to have a structural integrity for a certain tens of thousands of take-off/landing cycles. 

Her front bumper falling off is a good sign that it's time to put her car out to pasture.

giant_mtb

I wish I had money to fix TRACKER. Even though I have a truck for off-road now, Tracker is just way more fun because it's old, loud, and tiny.

Rupert

IMO, this sort of sentimentality is missing from a lot of car enthusiasts' relationship to their cars. I think it's healthy, at least if you like your car.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

FoMoJo

I have a great deal of sentimentality about many of my former cars. However, the one that, almost, broke my heart was my Alfa Spider.  As mentioned in another thread, we have recently moved to a condo and, although I'd hung onto the Spider for over 40 years with the hope of finding time and resources to give it the make-over it deserved, life and circumstances did not allow for that to happen.  So, last fall, I made the rather painful decision to let it go, hopefully, to someone who could resurrect it and give it a new life.

The deal was done.  An Alfa enthusiast in Montreal, who restored old Alfas for business and pleasure, drove up with his brother-in-law, trailer in tow, and took it away.  Now, I don't cry over cars or funerals, though I sometimes do over movies, but the sadness I felt then, was akin to losing a dear old friend.  What was almost as touching as seeing it disappear down the street atop the trailer, was that my wife told the guy that, when he had finished the restoration, give us first dibs on buying it.  As much as I appreciated her sentiment, I'm not sure I would want to do that.  There are just too many memories for me, from its former life.

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Raza

Quote from: Rupert on May 02, 2016, 09:25:44 AM
IMO, this sort of sentimentality is missing from a lot of car enthusiasts' relationship to their cars. I think it's healthy, at least if you like your car.

I agree. Now everyone's all about the mag racing and the tech. Like omg, I can play music from my friends' phones on my stereo and I can get live updates from Buzzfeed. Uh, this car doesn't have real time updates of Drake's Twitter feed? Junk.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MrH

Quote from: Raza  on May 02, 2016, 10:52:55 AM
I agree. Now everyone's all about the mag racing and the tech. Like omg, I can play music from my friends' phones on my stereo and I can get live updates from Buzzfeed. Uh, this car doesn't have real time updates of Drake's Twitter feed? Junk.

:lol:

Can't wait for the next gen M3 when they finally integrate Drake's twitter feed into iDrive.  Bout damn time.  They're falling behind the competition.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Rupert on May 02, 2016, 09:25:44 AM
Yea... for a lot of "enthusiasts" cars are just means for showing off, be it by building a dyno queen, drag racer, or just something to throw parts at with a maxed out credit card for internet cred. Car model forums are pretty much unbearable for anything but reference. I don't know if it's just my age but I feel like things have changed fundamentally.

For me I'm finding the more I can beat on and get feedback from a car the more I like it. Performance is kind of secondary as long as it's adequate.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

ifcar

Quote from: MrH on May 02, 2016, 12:31:16 PM

Can't wait for the next gen M3 when they finally integrate Drake's twitter feed into iDrive.  Bout damn time.  They're falling behind the competition.

I hear they'll also shave a few tenths off key performance specs like phone-syncing time.

Raza

Quote from: MrH on May 02, 2016, 12:31:16 PM

I'm going to hold out for the Kanye edition. I hear it's going to be integrated into the HUD and be projected on to the windshield.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

2o6

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 03, 2016, 06:15:57 AM
Yea... for a lot of "enthusiasts" cars are just means for showing off, be it by building a dyno queen, drag racer, or just something to throw parts at with a maxed out credit card for internet cred. Car model forums are pretty much unbearable for anything but reference. I don't know if it's just my age but I feel like things have changed fundamentally.

For me I'm finding the more I can beat on and get feedback from a car the more I like it. Performance is kind of secondary as long as it's adequate.

Don't be tellin on yourself, now

12,000 RPM

Quote from: 2o6 on May 03, 2016, 09:50:07 AM
Don't be tellin on yourself, now
Lol.... I pay my CC off every month, and if I wanted internet cred I would have bought a dental assistant's off-lease 3 series.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

280Z Turbo

I think Roadkill kind of did our hobby a favor by making people realize that expensive technology, shiny paint or matching numbers doesn't make a car fun. It's about the experience.

giant_mtb

+1

CaminoRacer

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on May 03, 2016, 04:20:18 PM
I think Roadkill kind of did our hobby a favor by making people realize that expensive technology, shiny paint or matching numbers doesn't make a car fun. It's about the experience.

I agree, although I've kinda gotten tired of Roadkill. It's too popular now. /hipster
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Rupert

Ye olde proxy penis. Car enthusiasts as a group suck... present company excluded, of course. :lol:

If it's not a penis proxy, it's a mid-life crisis.

Rupert

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on May 03, 2016, 04:20:18 PM

IMO Dirt Every Day is an even better example of that. That dude and his show are chill, and off-road enthusiasts as a whole are even more of a little dick group than other groups of car enthusiasts.

Morris Minor

Good writing. Dontcha just love it? You're up late, stressed & sleepless. You read something like that & appreciate the craft & the work and the rewrites. And it brings a smile to your face.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

AutobahnSHO

For me it's not the car itself but I remember the events about the car.

-getting stuck in a 1978 Subaru wagon
-driving the SHO from Germany through France to Spain (and paying way more in gas money than it would have been to fly and rent a car)
-maxxing out the speedo of my first minivan on the Autobahn
-first time I went over 200k miles (Legacy)
-driving Impreza 100% full inside with a giant roofbox, from Utah to SC.
-moving a piano the other day in Odyssey
Will