Interesting take on driverless cars

Started by 12,000 RPM, March 30, 2016, 05:59:50 PM

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

BimmerM3

I mean, I guess he kind of has a point that it's a potential revenue stream for Google since people will be able to spend more time on their phone/computers. But most of his points are bullshit.

1. Driverless cars WILL get bad drivers off the road because there is no driver, so I'm not sure what his point is there. :huh:
2. Driverless cars won't necessarily help traffic at first, but as they become more and more common, the cars will be able to drive closer together and more evenly spread themselves out over different routes
3. Driverless cars won't necessarily shorten your commute at first (see #2), but they will allow you to do something else, productive or not, during your commute.

The points he has at the end about weather interfering with the sensors has some merit, particularly depending on where you live, but that doesn't meant that they're completely insurmountable problems.

Morris Minor

Ultimately there will be no need for traffic lights, road signs, lane markings, speed limits, etc.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Morris Minor on March 31, 2016, 12:17:45 PM
Ultimately there will be no need for traffic lights, road signs, lane markings, speed limits, etc.

+1

Imagine the money saved on paint alone. Also it will be possible to change traffic flow- make a giant slab of pavement with no markings, cars and the car-control network can dynamically shape traffic be re-routing traffic around problems (broken down car, weather hazard, fallen tree, whatever).  3/4 of the slab could be used to travel in one direction in the morning and in the opposite direction in the evening. Etc...
Will

giant_mtb

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 31, 2016, 12:26:11 PM
+1

Imagine the money saved on paint alone. Also it will be possible to change traffic flow- make a giant slab of pavement with no markings, cars and the car-control network can dynamically shape traffic be re-routing traffic around problems (broken down car, weather hazard, fallen tree, whatever).  3/4 of the slab could be used to travel in one direction in the morning and in the opposite direction in the evening. Etc...

:mask: :lol:

AutobahnSHO

:lol:

Wal-Mart already looks like that sometimes, but the seats have wheels.
Will

AutobahnSHO

Will

AutobahnSHO

Will

AutobahnSHO

UHOH  Another step forward. Interesting mix of big names coming together to push for legislation changes...

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/google-ford-uber-form-coalition-114640559.html#
Will

AutobahnSHO

So, polls say that people don't want self-driving cars.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/tesla-google-cadillac-self-driving-cars-160441498.html#

I would guess that previous to the iPod being on sale, they said they didn't want a tiny music player. And didn't want a touchscreen phone before iPhones became popular. Etc....
Will