OK, now I am kind of panicking. Next 911 might not have manual option

Started by 12,000 RPM, April 15, 2016, 05:31:55 AM

12,000 RPM

http://jalopnik.com/next-porsche-911-might-might-not-come-with-a-manual-t-1771097480

A bridge too far mon

Meanwhile I'm pretty sure that both the Cayenne and Panamera will retain their manual options and naturally aspirated engines

What is going on at Porsche? I hate the hipster cliches but they seem to be.... losing their way. Then again when they were at peak Porsche (964-993 gen IMO) they were on the brink of bankruptcy
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

cawimmer430

Quote from: MrH on April 15, 2016, 05:46:12 AM
Umm, panamera never had a manual option.

IIRC the V6 models came with a manual as standard. But the take rate was very low.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

12,000 RPM

AutobahnSHO

I'm just guessing that the burnout rate of clutches is high, and most people are willing to just go a computer-shifter.
Will

SJ_GTI

I think going DSG/DCT/PDK or whatever brand name they want to use on the Hi-Po models makes sense. But for the day to day sports car that are just for hobbyists/enthusiasts I think offering a manual transmissions has to continue, no?  I cannot see myself buying a car like a 911 (or some equivalent sports car) and not getting a manual transmission. I know it isn't max performance but it is simply more fun for some folks.

MrH

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 15, 2016, 06:26:55 AM
They did man, Google it.

Not in the US?  At least I didn't think it came here.  If it was offered, I think it was V6, RWD only.  And there are probably 5 in the country.  If that's the case, is that really any different than not offering it at all?
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

BimmerM3

I've already come to terms with the fact that the auto industry is changing in major ways. But then again, I believe that autonomous vehicles will out number conventional vehicles in my lifetime, which doesn't seem to be a commonly held viewpoint around here.

Either way, as long as it doesn't get wrecked, I already own my lifelong sports car. I was hoping to supplement it with other fun cars along the way, but there's no reason why those can't be cars that already exist today, or DCTs if I want a proper track car.

CaminoRacer

BYOSC

Build your own sports car. It's the way of the future. "Kit" cars and old school builds.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Raza

Quote from: CaminoRacer on April 15, 2016, 10:06:51 PM
BYOSC

Build your own sports car. It's the way of the future. "Kit" cars and old school builds.

No way it'll be legal to drive that shit on the road once driving becomes an app on your phone.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

cawimmer430

I imagine it must be annoying for performance purists to see the sports car market moving to automated transmissions while some lackluster and boring economy car can still be gotten with a manual. But even in that niche more and more customers are going for automated transmissions.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

12,000 RPM

This idea that getting around will be a phone app any time soon is optimistic at best and ridiculous at worst IMO for reasons I've laid out ad nauseum. Just the logistics of a wholesale transformation doesn't make sense. What happens to the 300 million human driven vehicles on the road? Think this through guys

12,000 RPM

Quote from: CaminoRacer on April 15, 2016, 10:06:51 PM
BYOSC

I am with this. Again if its legal to ride a fcuking motorcycle on the street it should be fine to drive a kit car as long as it passes emissions. I think the passage of such a law would be a much bigger threat to conventional sports cars than the manufactured irrational spectre of the wholesale autonomous switch.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 16, 2016, 06:58:49 AM
I am with this. Again if its legal to ride a fcuking motorcycle on the street it should be fine to drive a kit car as long as it passes emissions. I think the passage of such a law would be a much bigger threat to conventional sports cars than the manufactured irrational spectre of the wholesale autonomous switch.

They passed that law that allows kit car builders to make up to 500 cars a year and get them registered IIRC. Shelby Cobras, Lotus 7s, etc. with high build quality are now even easier to get.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 16, 2016, 06:57:19 AM
This idea that getting around will be a phone app any time soon is optimistic at best and ridiculous at worst IMO for reasons I've laid out ad nauseum. Just the logistics of a wholesale transformation doesn't make sense. What happens to the 300 million human driven vehicles on the road? Think this through guys

They'll be phased out just like phones without GPS chips. It'll become illegal to produce them, then illegal to sell them, then they'll do some C4C-like program to encourage people to get them off the roads. Then millennials can text their way to work.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on April 16, 2016, 03:26:35 PM
They'll be phased out just like phones without GPS chips. It'll become illegal to produce them, then illegal to sell them, then they'll do some C4C-like program to encourage people to get them off the roads. Then millennials can text their way to work.
Phones without GPS chips are illegal to produce/sell?

And when do you see this happening?

What will happen to the 300 million cars on the road?

Where will the $9T come from?

Do you really think this mass property confiscation would come with no pushback?

For the love of everything rational please think these things through. You can't complain about faulty premises and continue on this panicked crusade.

280Z Turbo

I think manual driving will become illegal or severely restricted in about 30-40 years. It will be seen as an unnecessary risk to the public. Why should a bunch of old coots be allowed hoon around putting innocent children at risk in their environmentally damaging old cars?

cawimmer430

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on April 16, 2016, 05:12:21 PM
I think manual driving will become illegal or severely restricted in about 30-40 years. It will be seen as an unnecessary risk to the public. Why should a bunch of old coots be allowed hoon around putting innocent children at risk in their environmentally damaging old cars?

A manual transmission is also kind of annoying and dangerous when you're driving and want to update your Facebook status or take a selfie.  :thumbsup:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 16, 2016, 04:03:43 PM
Phones without GPS chips are illegal to produce/sell?

Yeah, for years now.  I remember a long time ago a cell phone company said that if they deactivated my mother's Motorola Timeport, they would, by law, not be allowed to reactivate it because it doesn't have GPS.

And when do you see this happening?

In the future.

What will happen to the 300 million cars on the road?

They will eventually fall into disrepair and be taken off the road through the natural course of things or be traded in as part of a Cash 4 Clunkers type program.  I couldn't have been more clear about that. 

Where will the $9T come from?

When did I say anything about $9 trillion?  I don't remember that.

Do you really think this mass property confiscation would come with no pushback?

I didn't say confiscation.  Not once.  You did. 

For the love of everything rational please think these things through. You can't complain about faulty premises and continue on this panicked crusade.

The only faulty premises are the ones you put in my mouth.  I didn't say half the shit you're asking me about. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MX793

Quote from: Raza  on April 17, 2016, 10:32:28 AM
Yeah, for years now.  I remember a long time ago a cell phone company said that if they deactivated my mother's Motorola Timeport, they would, by law, not be allowed to reactivate it because it doesn't have GPS.

There is no current law requiring that cell phones be fitted with GPS.  There are regulations, related to the E911 system, that require telephone service providers (wired or wireless) be able to locate the geographic origin of a call within a certain accuracy.  For cell phones, that can be accomplished either via GPS or via triangulating the signal using the cell tower network.  Back in 2011, the FCC passed a rule stating that the accuracy of location for all phone types (including VoIP) will be tightened considerably starting in 2018.  Currently, tower triangulation is not accurate enough to meet this new accuracy requirement, so in all likelihood that will mean GPS in all cell phones unless somebody can find a way to get the required accuracy without using GPS.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

Quote from: MX793 on April 17, 2016, 10:51:46 AM
There is no current law requiring that cell phones be fitted with GPS.  There are regulations, related to the E911 system, that require telephone service providers (wired or wireless) be able to locate the geographic origin of a call within a certain accuracy.  For cell phones, that can be accomplished either via GPS or via triangulating the signal using the cell tower network.  Back in 2011, the FCC passed a rule stating that the accuracy of location for all phone types (including VoIP) will be tightened considerably starting in 2018.  Currently, tower triangulation is not accurate enough to meet this new accuracy requirement, so in all likelihood that will mean GPS in all cell phones unless somebody can find a way to get the required accuracy without using GPS.

Different road, same destination. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MX793

Quote from: Raza  on April 17, 2016, 10:59:57 AM
Different road, same destination. 

Point being, there's no requirement for it today (nor was there one several years ago).  Technically, there won't be a requirement for it when the tighter accuracy of location standards come into effect.  Also, I should probably amend my statement that network/tower accuracy can't meet the new requirement.  Current requirements for location are <50ft for GPS based systems and <100ft for network based solutions.  The requirement coming in 2018 (or maybe later, the articles I found from 5 years ago call that a "no sooner than" date) tightens the accuracy to <50ft for any solution.  I'm not a cell expert, but it's possible that current network solutions are already achieving that.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

Quote from: MX793 on April 17, 2016, 11:29:29 AM
Point being, there's no requirement for it today (nor was there one several years ago).  Technically, there won't be a requirement for it when the tighter accuracy of location standards come into effect.  Also, I should probably amend my statement that network/tower accuracy can't meet the new requirement.  Current requirements for location are <50ft for GPS based systems and <100ft for network based solutions.  The requirement coming in 2018 (or maybe later, the articles I found from 5 years ago call that a "no sooner than" date) tightens the accuracy to <50ft for any solution.  I'm not a cell expert, but it's possible that current network solutions are already achieving that.

Regardless, a rule or law results in GPS essentially being mandatory for cell phones. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MX793

Quote from: Raza  on April 17, 2016, 11:31:34 AM
Regardless, a rule or law results in GPS essentially being mandatory for cell phones. 

Not if network accuracy meets the tighter limits.  Then it's up to the service providers as to whether they require GPS on the phones on their network or not.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Raza

Quote from: MX793 on April 17, 2016, 11:35:01 AM
Not if network accuracy meets the tighter limits.  Then it's up to the service providers as to whether they require GPS on the phones on their network or not.

Currently.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on April 17, 2016, 10:32:28 AM
In the future.

They will eventually fall into disrepair and be taken off the road through the natural course of things or be traded in as part of a Cash 4 Clunkers type program.  I couldn't have been more clear about that.
This doesn't make any sense

If these automated cars cannot operate on the roads with human driven cars, then all the human driven cars have to come off the road a lot faster than the "natural course of things" will allow. If autonomous cars can operate with human driven cars on the same roads then your whole fatalist conclusion falls apart. So which is it? 

Quote from: Raza  on April 17, 2016, 10:32:28 AMWhen did I say anything about $9 trillion?  I don't remember that.
That is how much it will cost, based on average new car prices, to replace all the cars on the road. And that is conservative because a lot of the 300 million vehicles on the road are commercial vehicles.

Quote from: Raza  on April 17, 2016, 10:32:28 AMI didn't say confiscation.  Not once.  You did.
You argue that human driven cars on the road will become illegal. OK, not exactly confiscation, but largely the same result since all human driven cars will largely become worthless under the passage of said law. 

Quote from: Raza  on April 17, 2016, 10:32:28 AMThe only faulty premises are the ones you put in my mouth.  I didn't say half the shit you're asking me about.
You still haven't demonstrated exactly how this will all play out. Where is the political will? Where is the money? Where is the precedent? Can you give us some kind of ball park timeline? You are just projecting your control issues onto this issue and hoping nobody asks for details. It's silly. Even if human driven cars are "outlawed", just by pure logistics it probably won't happen in our lifetimes.

MrH

It's too expensive to switch all cars at once. Autonomous cars have to be able to function with human driven vehicles, or they'll never make it. Everyone is designing based on that assumption so far.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited